Running Linux on a Chromebook: How to install & get the best of both worlds

Julio Franco

TechSpot Editor
Staff member

Mouldy CPU

TS Enthusiast
In step number 1, those pound signs/hash tags in you got after executing 'sudo su -' mean you were in superuser mode, so you could've left out all the 'sudo' in the commands that followed and saved yourself a few keystrokes.

Last edited:

Mace Moneta

TS Rookie
You can get much of the same functionality without developer mode if your Chromebook supports Android apps by using the Gnuroot Debian app from the play store. It gives you a Linux environment where you can run your favorite Linux applications, exchanging data with the running ChromeOS / Android environment.

calinb

TS Rookie
I'm running a crouton Trusty chroot on a C720 now. It's a bit unstable compared, to a traditional GNU Linux system, but I'm interested in trying it on a new SSD Chromebook. Assuming that I buy the fastest available memory, will a USB 3.0 flash stick or an SD card in the Chromebook's SD slot provide the best performance for my new crouton chroot system?

jobeard

TS Ambassador
My personal choice for Linux is booting a DVD loaded with the KNOPPIX ISO. This leaves the laptop unaltered and yet the ISO will auto configure to the existing hardware. Of course accessing runtime files off a DVD is slow so performance sucks, but for a quick look or small task, it's also non-intrusive to the host system.