Runtime error

circusboy01

When I tried to download Winamp. It went through the complete process, put the Winamp icon on my desktop.Everything.Then at the last minute this popped up.
Runtime Error7DD749AD. Geek something? I think squad. Shows that it can be fixed by running a register cleaner.. I wont do that. I don't mess with the register. Is there a way to fix this runtime error without going into the register? Thanks CB

Download and run this to make sure you have not got any spyware included in your download of winamp.

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/spybotsd/index.html

Does the message you get about the registry cleaner offer any particular program, if it does then you have acquired adware with the download which will try and convince you into buying a registry scanner. You have been wise not to be taken in by this.

See if Spybot finds anything and if Winamp won't run without this error appearing uninstall it and try downloading from an official source. Where did you get it from?

Download and run this to make sure you have not got any spyware included in your download of winamp.

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/spybotsd/index.html

Does the message you get about the registry cleaner offer any particular program, if it does then you have acquired adware with the download which will try and convince you into buying a registry scanner. You have been wise not to be taken in by this.

See if Spybot finds anything and if Winamp won't run without this error appearing uninstall it and try downloading from an official source. Where did you get it from?

Actually it suggested CCleaner, which I use all the time,except for the regestry cleaner. If I were ever to use a registry cleaner. It would be the one in CCleaner.
I already use Spybot S&D,Spyware Blaster Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, and
Avast.
I looked into this runtime error. It's because I'm missing a dll.
I don't think it's Adware, i could be wrong. But, I don't think Adware could prevent the download.
I tried do downlosd it 3 times www.filehippo.com www.winamp.com, and winamp en softonic.com.
Thank you for your effort to help CB

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/What-is-a-runtime-error

Not sure if you will have read the above but it may help.

You could also look in your Event Viewer to see if it gives any more information, under applications.

You could also try running with a clean boot and then try the install of winamp again. This will run with no services to see if any are causing a conflict.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Finally see if it will install in safe mode (not sure if that will work but worth a try).

Something on your system is advising you to run Ccleaner and I doubt if that could be anything other than adware, do a scan with Spybot.

You could also look in your Event Viewer to see if it gives any more information, under applications.

You could also try running with a clean boot and then try the install of winamp again. This will run with no services to see if any are causing a conflict.

Finally see if it will install in safe mode (not sure if that will work but worth a try).

Something on your system is advising you to run Ccleaner and I doubt if that could be anything other than adware, do a scan with Spybot.

Nothing that I tried worked and I tried everything. Except clean boots or wiping my harddrive clean. Are these both the same thing?
But, that's OK i have GOM player, Kantaris, VLC, Radio Sure, Pandora, and Windows Media Player.

Except clean boots or wiping my harddrive clean. Are these both the same thing?

It says in my last post what a clean boot is.

Running a clean boot will give you a chance to see if the error is being caused by a system service. You have a lot of media software, if one or more of those are running in the background that could be something to do with the problem.

"You have a lot of media software"...
Yes, pick one besides Media Player 11 and delete the rest. Get rid of all the "cleaners" too, you have way too much stuff installed. This will slow your computer to a crawl, not to mention other nasty issues

It says in my last post what a clean boot is

Running a clean boot will give you a chance to see if the error is being caused by a system service. You have a lot of media software, if one or more of those are running in the background that could be something to do with the problem.

I'm not going to worry about Winamp. But I will check out clean boot, just to familiarize
myself with it since you went to the trouble of sending me the Link.Thanks again for all your suggestions CB

Yes, pick one besides Media Player 11 and delete the rest. Get rid of all the "cleaners" too, you have way too much stuff installed. This will slow your computer to a crawl, not to mention other nasty issues

Since I have a 1tb. harddrive it's going to be quite awhile before I have "too much" stuff. But, I am planning to whittle my media players down to one. Just haven't decided which one yet. Over at WorldStart. A site much like this one. In PC Asked and Answered Question's.One of the first things you will see is Mikes Sticky. It shows,according to Mike, everything you need to keep your PC safe. He and many others over there would argue with you about me having too much protection. One thing they would point out isMWB< SAS< SPYBOT S&D< AND SPYWARE BLASTER. only run when you do a scan with them. they do not run along with Avast
I'm not saying their right and your wrong, Or. visa versa.So I'll just keep what I've got until If or when I learn differen't:D. CB

I think you will find if you look in Processes under Task Manager that Spybot and SAS are running in the background, spybot will show a process called Teatimer.exe and SAS will show as SuperAntiSpyware.exe. I am not sure about Spyware Blaster and you are correct about MWB but only if it is the free version. Any Process running in the background uses your PC's resources and as a consequence it will slow down the PC. The size of your hard drive has nothing to do with this situation, both myself and Tmagic are talking about "running processes" that use your PC's resources and can cause conflicts, your storage capacity is irrelevant.

You may be quite surprised how much faster your PC responds if you start with a clean boot and that is the easiest way to find if you have any conflicts or have any background processes or system services that are slowing down your PC. Using a process of elimination, re-enabling programs and services a few at a time, you should find the cause of the Runtime error.

I think you will find if you look in Processes under Task Manager that Spybot and SAS are running in the background, spybot will show a process called Teatimer.exe and SAS will show as SuperAntiSpyware.exe. I am not sure about Spyware Blaster and you are correct about MWB but only if it is the free version. Any Process running in the background uses your PC's resources and as a consequence it will slow down the PC. The size of your hard drive has nothing to do with this situation, both myself and Tmagic are talking about "running processes" that use your PC's resources and can cause conflicts, your storage capacity is irrelevant.

You may be quite surprised how much faster your PC responds if you start with a clean boot and that is the easiest way to find if you have any conflicts or have any background processes or system services that are slowing down your PC. Using a process of elimination, re-enabling programs and services a few at a time, you should find the cause of the Runtime error.

I'm kind of burned out today.. I went to the link for the clean Boot earlier. I couldn't
figure out how to use it. I'll look at it again tomorrow, if it still confuses me, I guess I'll have to ask someone to walk me through it.
Thanks CB

OK, I am sure it will all come clear later, just follow each step at a time. Printing out the guide will help unless you have another computer nearby to display the instructions.

If you get stuck help is at hand, but please explain exactly where you get stuck.

Beginning of clean boot instructions.
Click start type msconfig.exe in start search box--Did that.
Click enter-- There is no enter to click.
( note: This probably makes no difference. But, my search box doesn't say start search box. It says search programs and files.)

The Start Search box is simply the Search box as shown in the screenshots in the guide. When any instruction says "Click Enter" it means hit the Enter key on your keypad. That is the key for carriage return that moves the cursor to the next line when typing.

The Start Search box is simply the Search box as shown in the screenshots in the guide. When any instruction says "Click Enter" it means hit the Enter key on your keypad. That is the key for carriage return that moves the cursor to the next line when typing.

Its 4:15 AM I got out of bed and got on the computer to tell you that it dawned on me that you were talking about the enter key on the keyboard

Nothing that I tried worked and I tried everything. Except clean boots or wiping my harddrive clean. Are these both the same thing?
But, that's OK i have GOM player, Kantaris, VLC, Radio Sure, Pandora, and Windows Media Player.

Hi me again.pressed enter. Should have got: A services tab to click,also hide all microsoft services,and disable all.

Instead I get:A column on left side with Library. Disconnect, Mail,, and other stuff.
Across top I get, Libraries, computer, Custom, and Internet.
I really think I followed the directions. I'll check again later today.

I think you should try again, make sure you type msconfig correctly in the search box then hit the enter key, the instructions are for windows 7 but should work in Vista and XP so I think you may have typed the command in wrong. Are you using Windows 7?

I think you should try again, make sure you type msconfig correctly in the search box then hit the enter key, the instructions are for windows 7 but should work in Vista and XP so I think you may have typed the command in wrong. Are you using Windows 7?

Yes I am using windows 7. I don't have a printer. So, I have to write all the instructions down. First thing I will do is check what I have written against what's on screen to see if I copied anything wrong. I'll get back to you CB

Since I have a 1tb. harddrive it's going to be quite awhile before I have "too much" stuff. But, I am planning to whittle my media players down to one. Just haven't decided which one yet. Over at WorldStart. A site much like this one. In PC Asked and Answered Question's.One of the first things you will see is Mikes Sticky. It shows,according to Mike, everything you need to keep your PC safe. He and many others over there would argue with you about me having too much protection. One thing they would point out isMWB< SAS< SPYBOT S&D< AND SPYWARE BLASTER. only run when you do a scan with them. they do not run along with Avast
I'm not saying their right and your wrong, Or. visa versa.So I'll just keep what I've got until If or when I learn differen't:D. CB

It doesn't matter how much hard drive space you have. All those programs like cleaners, and "protection", and media players will fight each other for memory and other resources, making them less effective and slow your computers abilities...

If this might help get past your current point...

1) Do you have a cell phone or portable device? email the instructions to yourself so you can view email instructions on a different device. Or print instructions on a friend's computer may save you much grief

2) When you enter msconfig you should be able to hit enter (Note you will also see msconfig.exe appear at top of search box - and can also select it there)
attachment.php

Attachments

• msconfig.jpg
    msconfig.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 8

OK compared the instructions I had written down with the ones on screen. no mistakes
Decided to try doing it off line. disengaged my stick.followed instructions. This time when I pressed the enter button the correct page came up.
Followed instructions. On General tab. chose selective start up cleared option , load start up items clicked OK everything disappeared. I don't mean everything on the screen. But the next page which would have been
Click services tab. click Hide all microsoft services.click disable all.click OK then Restart did not show up. It was like I exed out.
You know what? I'm finished with this No offense. I thank you for all your help. But, like I said earlier. I don't care about getting Winamp anymore. My problem was never about speed. My computer is plenty, fast enough. I had some buffering problems. But, I fixed that by getting rid of a lot of stuff I didn't use or need ( mostly freebees. Like Download a day stuff.) I also trimmed down my start menu.
Once again please don't be offended. I'm sure I will be asking for help again. Thanks CB

Restart is selected from the Start menu it doesn't "show up" as part of the process.

Anyway, not a problem if you want to leave this, you may have learned a few new things along the way. See you next time.

Please don't be offended. But, as far as cleaners and protection goes. I'm going to stick with what I learned from Mikes Sticky,and what I learned directly from MikeN over at WorldStart message boards.One thing I will change. Superantispyware was on sale a while back. So, I bought a copy. Turns out it's better if I use the free copy. So I'll get rid of the paid version. All in all my computers plenty fast, and the protection I am running has keep me virus malware, trogin, and all other bugs free for a long time now.
Like I told Mark56. I'm going to end this thread. I don't know why this clean boot thing is giving me so much problems. But, I'm tired of hassling with it. Perhaps one day when My computer really is slow. I'll try again. As I said Please don't be offended. I will probably need your help in the future. CB

I don't know why this clean boot thing is giving me so much problems

I just gave you an answer to where you got stuck, in my last post.

SAS paid for version has more to offer than the free one, that is why you have to pay for it.

Restart is selected from the Start menu it doesn't "show up" as part of the process.

Anyway, not a problem if you want to leave this, you may have learned a few new things along the way. See you next time.
Here's two [places wherte the instructions call for a restart.
Note Following this step lets Microsoft services continue to run. These services include Networking, Plug and Play, Event Logging, Error Reporting, and other services. If you disable these services, you may permanently delete all restore points. Do not do this if you want to use the System Restore utility together with existing restore points.
Click OK, and then click Restart.
Step 2: Enable half of the services
Follow steps 1a and 1b to start the System Configuration utility.
Click the Services tab, and then click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box.
Click to select half of the check boxes in the Service list.
Click OK, and then click Restart.

Back