Ryzen Mobile Finally Arrives: AMD Ryzen 5 2500U Review

What most tests about laptops lack, in most sites, is the information about prices. A laptop that is more expensive could have a more optimized design, for example better cooling or bigger battery, or more efficient components, for example a faster SSD. At least a paragraph with the models tested and indications of their average prices would be extremely useful. Giving links to their reviews, when possible, even better. Having just a few names in charts, names that you can't even click, select with your mouse and search easily with Google, makes them almost useless and in a way misleading.

PS I have done the same comment about laptop testing, in other sites in the past, about other laptop, or mini PC reviews.

Cons - Availability - You are spot on with this , Ryzen 5 HP 360 laptop still nowehere to be seen in the Europe .What the hell is going on AMD ? , We just seem to be waiting waiting waiting and reading articles about Ryzen this and that but still no products to buy . GET A MOVE ON AMD

What most tests about laptops lack, in most sites, is the information about prices. A laptop that is more expensive could have a more optimized design, for example better cooling or bigger battery, or more efficient components, for example a faster SSD. At least a paragraph with the models tested and indications of their average prices would be extremely useful. Giving links to their reviews, when possible, even better. Having just a few names in charts, names that you can't even click, select with your mouse and search easily with Google, makes them almost useless and in a way misleading.

PS I have done the same comment about laptop testing, in other sites in the past, about other laptop, or mini PC reviews.

Went to HP Store and this laptop cost 854,99 US dollars. Not exactly the cheap solution most consumers go for.

Please find a 2700U.

2500U has a good GPU, but the 2700U looks like it could be a half decent low end gaming part! More CPU clockspeed, 25 percent more CUs than this and nearly 20 percent more GPU clock speed. You could conservatively estimate it'll be 35-40 percent faster in many gaming scenarios. That should do the job well.

Hope AMD have even faster APUs in the oven for 15 inch notebooks.

Last edited:

Could not agree more, HP is notorious for hampering performance and usually wanting a bit more $ than others for "similar" specs, usually lower amount or mismatched ram which automatically hurts performance, often dismal battery capacities, quite often poor thermal design so tend to automatically throttle. At least in theory this should be unlikely to happen from a lack of power or lack of proper cooling given the 15-25w TDP of 2500-2700u chips, but, am sure if HP or anyone else "chooses" to do so, they will skimp on cooling and still target a higher to put on the shelf price.

Bt yeh, the $779+USD mark is not exactly "budget" the specs look decent enough I suppose, but am sure a larger battery would be that much more beneficial to truly give life to "going Ryzen" ^.^

I don't understand this need by some reviewers 'Like you' when it comes to Intel vs AMD to compare the AMD system to far far more expensive and higher end Intel systems and then bang on 'far too much' about AMD 'expected slower result' not because the Intel System is much higher end but 'because AMD just cant compete with Intel'.
For #### Sake!

The AMD equivalent to this top end Intel i7 is not the lower middling 'AMD i5' this the 2500U, not the higher end 2600U, or 2700U its the 2800U when it arrives.

What's more this HP Laptop has an 'otherwise identical' Intel i5 equivalent, (An actual Apples for Apples comparison) the same Laptop in Intel vs AMD form the AMD version of it the CPU is faster while the GPU is a massive 3 times as faster.

Why keep fudging these reviews to make AMD look far worse than they actually are compared to Intel, 'oh AMD are better now but still nothing like as good as Intel' UTTER BS they are now AT LEAST as good if not better in the mobile space.

Here, an actual Apples for Apples comparison, the AMD laptop is better, in some cases VASTLEY better.
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/amd-ryzen-mobile-vs-intel-8th-gen-core

http://store.hp.com/us/en/mdp/lapto...__us/en/psg/envy_x360/hero-shop-now#!&Tab=vao

They have models using the R5 2500U, as well as Coffee Lake CPUs (i5-8250U & i7-8550U).

To be honest, it's not that hard to search for particular laptop models, whether it's from the manufacturer's site or your favorite e-retailer.

Exactly, other reviewers did an apples to apples comparison using the HP Intel and AMD equivalents.
What I find odd about this review is not just that completely lopsided tier comparison but also 'with that then' how he bangs on a lot about "look see, AMD have improved and'all but are still basically crap in CPU performance" and yet when others compare the AMD system to an equivalent Intel system its actually the AMD system that's better, including for CPU performance.

It looks 'almost' deliberate. the alternative is utter lack of understand of what he is doing.

I can't even play League of Legends on my Dell m3800 i7 with it's discrete Nvidia GPU without the processor throttling and that too on lower resolution. I now own the Envy which cost about 3 times less and I can play perfectly without turning down the graphics details, without throttling or overheating. Even if the Ryzen is a bit slower, I don't feel it at all and it has zero affect on my productivity. But the i7's weak GPU in comparison is a deal breaker when it comes to GPU tasks which is not only games but also next gen OSes.

Hmmm... I've been looking for a laptop to upgrade from my Acer Aspire V3-772G for a while now, but I never thought that an ultrabook would be a contender until now. While I agree that an apples-to-apples comparison would have been better, that the Ryzen 5 2500U can punch out of its "weight class" as well as it does is fascinating in itself.

If the laptop doesn't have thunderbolt 3, unless it is the black friday el cheapo at $250 or less, basically throwaway in a couple of years, then without thunderbolt 3 the laptop/2-in-1 etc is really NOT worth it. Thunderbolt 3 with 4x PCI-E lanes really makes a big difference for the long term usefulness and the value proposition for it just can't be beat. See here is a list of laptop/2-in-1 machines with TB3 ports:
https://www.ultrabookreview.com/10579-laptops-thunderbolt-3/

I got a 2-in-1 Lenovo Yoga 720 13, and I am gaming on it, playing stuff like Destiny 2, Overwatch, using the Akitio Node e-GPU and running my old GTX970 that became available when I upgraded my desktop's to a GTX1070. The stuff runs great at 60fps at 1080p with all recommended high-ish setting expected of a GTX970. I even experimented with my 1070 for giggles and I can even dial up the quality. So for $700 for the Yoga 720 13, and another $250 for the e-gpu, so for less than $1000, I got a less than 3 pound ultra portable 2-in-1 for on the go, and fully capable gaming machine when docked in. You can even got something small and light for a e-gpu like this:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...VD8ZkCh0MagElEAQYASABEgILuvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

But TB3 is not just for egpu, it can be for storage, 10Gig to 40Gig ethernet, charging the 2-in-1, and many other possibilities. So it lets your laptop be thin and light for all the portable aspects, and become a powerhouse when you take home, or to the office, to do the heavy lifting.

If AMD won't provide TB3, it is a non starter unless they provide some serious price reduction. I wouldn't even bother considering their offerings.

Last edited:
I don't understand this need by some reviewers 'Like you' when it comes to Intel vs AMD to compare the AMD system to far far more expensive and higher end Intel systems and then bang on 'far too much' about AMD 'expected slower result' not because the Intel System is much higher end but 'because AMD just cant compete with Intel'.
For #### Sake!

The AMD equivalent to this top end Intel i7 is not the lower middling 'AMD i5' this the 2500U, not the higher end 2600U, or 2700U its the 2800U when it arrives.

What's more this HP Laptop has an 'otherwise identical' Intel i5 equivalent, (An actual Apples for Apples comparison) the same Laptop in Intel vs AMD form the AMD version of it the CPU is faster while the GPU is a massive 3 times as faster.

Why keep fudging these reviews to make AMD look far worse than they actually are compared to Intel, 'oh AMD are better now but still nothing like as good as Intel' UTTER BS they are now AT LEAST as good if not better in the mobile space.

Here, an actual Apples for Apples comparison, the AMD laptop is better, in some cases VASTLEY better.
I wonder this too. Why not compare the i5 "U" system in gaming benchmarks at least? Was there no i5 system at the author's hand while writing this review? This is an apples to oranges comparison as it is

For #### Sake!

I wonder this too. Why not compare the i5 "U" system in gaming benchmarks at least? Was there no i5 system at the author's hand while writing this review? This is an apples to oranges comparison as it is

YES, this was obviously the case. How does this work in your mind? Do reviewers constantly get showered with laptops worth thousands? Sadly no, in the real world reviewers get a laptop for a week, maybe two if they're lucky. Why am I being blunt about this? Well Tim explain the situation... quite clearly... in the review, which was very detailed and an exceptional piece of work for free content...

"Is this a bad result for AMD’s Ryzen Mobile CPU? Not necessarily, as we’re comparing Core i7 to Ryzen 5 here and we haven’t tested any 8th gen Core i5 parts yet. The gap will close when pitting the Core i7 up against the Ryzen 7 2700U, or when comparing Core i5 to Ryzen 5. It’s still unlikely AMD will take the lead, but that battle will end up closer, possibly in a 10 to 20 percent lead for Intel."

YES, this was obviously the case. How does this work in your mind? Do reviewers constantly get showered with laptops worth thousands? Sadly no, in the real world reviewers get a laptop for a week, maybe two if they're lucky. Why am I being blunt about this? Well Tim explain the situation... quite clearly... in the review, which was very detailed and an exceptional piece of work for free content...

"Is this a bad result for AMD’s Ryzen Mobile CPU? Not necessarily, as we’re comparing Core i7 to Ryzen 5 here and we haven’t tested any 8th gen Core i5 parts yet. The gap will close when pitting the Core i7 up against the Ryzen 7 2700U, or when comparing Core i5 to Ryzen 5. It’s still unlikely AMD will take the lead, but that battle will end up closer, possibly in a 10 to 20 percent lead for Intel."

The problem is he and you here are making assumptions and then portraying those assumptions as facts, the facts are the notebooks you pitted the Ryzen 2500U up against are completely different, not just in the tier of the CPU's high end i7 vs mid end Ryzen 5 but the entire machiene is completely different, different memory configuration for example, different cooling solutions which really matters for CPU performance because all laptops are only as fast as their cooling solutions will allow.
Despite all of this he and now you make the assertion that AMD still cannot compete on performance with Intel without knowing the facts, without even bothering to look at what other reviewers are doing before making assertions that just perpetuate the idea's consumers have about AMD, idea's that are no longer true, instead of letting AMD disprove that with their own true merits you already condemn them without knowing #### all about what you people are talking about.
Had you done an ounce or research before asserting typical AMD falsehoods you would know that others have done apple for apple comparisons of these two architectures on otherwise identical HP Notebooks, and guess what, YOU ARE WRONG, in fact the Ryzen 5 is not just faster in CPU performance (Video encoding and Rendering) vs the 8'th gen Core i5 but also better in performance per-watt, the opposite of what you are asserting without knowing the facts, the iGPU performance, and by that the iGPU was tested by putting it under-load on high settings rather than the CPU by putting games on very very low settings; in that the Ryzen's iGPU was a massive 3 times faster than Intel's Integrated Graphics, despite all of this the Ryzen Laptop was still $100 cheaper, price is another thing you fail to tell people about when comparing the Ryzen Notebook to much more expensive Intel Notebooks.

Here, Other than CPU identical Notebooks, the Ryzen one is in performance and efficiency better, the facts, the facts are the opporsit of your guestimated assertions, please stop that crap.

PS: re yet more incorrect assertions in that video, "AMD don't have the core count to compete with Intel in Laptops"
How many 8 core 16 thread Intel Laptops exist? none. here's one from AMD.
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-...700-Radeon-RX-580-Laptop-Review.247548.0.html

That ^^^^ is a full blown red blooded 8 core 16 thread CPU, no running at very low clocks or any of that, and its in a Laptop.

Last edited:
Oh and another thing sin as the 15 minute edit on that ^^ has expired, you're not willing to spend $800 on the Intel equivalent HP Notebook to make it an apples to apples comparison, but you are willing to spend $3000 on much higher end Intel Notebook's to make it a watermelon vs apples comparison.

Right...

The problem is he and you here are making assumptions and then portraying those assumptions as facts, the facts are the notebooks you pitted the Ryzen 2500U up against are completely different, not just in the tier of the CPU's high end i7 vs mid end Ryzen 5 but the entire machiene is completely different, different memory configuration for example, different cooling solutions which really matters for CPU performance because all laptops are only as fast as their cooling solutions will allow.
Despite all of this he and now you make the assertion that AMD still cannot compete on performance with Intel without knowing the facts, without even bothering to look at what other reviewers are doing before making assertions that just perpetuate the idea's consumers have about AMD, idea's that are no longer true, instead of letting AMD disprove that with their own true merits you already condemn them without knowing #### all about what you people are talking about.
Had you done an ounce or research before asserting typical AMD falsehoods you would know that others have done apple for apple comparisons of these two architectures on otherwise identical HP Notebooks, and guess what, YOU ARE WRONG, in fact the Ryzen 5 is not just faster in CPU performance (Video encoding and Rendering) vs the 8'th gen Core i5 but also better in performance per-watt, the opposite of what you are asserting without knowing the facts, the iGPU performance, and by that the iGPU was tested by putting it under-load on high settings rather than the CPU by putting games on very very low settings; in that the Ryzen's iGPU was a massive 3 times faster than Intel's Integrated Graphics, despite all of this the Ryzen Laptop was still $100 cheaper, price is another thing you fail to tell people about when comparing the Ryzen Notebook to much more expensive Intel Notebooks.

Here, Other than CPU identical Notebooks, the Ryzen one is in performance and efficiency better, the facts, the facts are the opporsit of your guestimated assertions, please stop that crap.

PS: re yet more incorrect assertions in that video, "AMD don't have the core count to compete with Intel in Laptops"
How many 8 core 16 thread Intel Laptops exist? none. here's one from AMD.
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-...700-Radeon-RX-580-Laptop-Review.247548.0.html

That ^^^^ is a full blown red blooded 8 core 16 thread CPU, no running at very low clocks or any of that, and its in a Laptop.

I read a few lines and stopped wasting my time. We've benchmarked the hell out of the desktop CPUs, we know exactly where Ryzen is positioned against Kaby Lake/Coffee Lake processors, there's no guess work.

Tim clearly started everything you're ranting about, cooling impacts performance and will vary from model to model yada yada yada this was all covered.

Oh and another thing sin as the 15 minute edit on that ^^ has expired, you're not willing to spend $800 on the Intel equivalent HP Notebook to make it an apples to apples comparison, but you are willing to spend $3000 on much higher end Intel Notebook's to make it a watermelon vs apples comparison.

Right...
I agree with everything you say . Also HP Laptops are pure rubbish build , Just wait till we see how the Ryzen APU will perform in the Acer Swift and the Lenovo Idea Pad 720 . You will see a huge difference . Anyone thinking of buying that HP x360 , My advice would be Don't , just wait till the other 2 come out .

I agree with everything you say . Also HP Laptops are pure rubbish build , Just wait till we see how the Ryzen APU will perform in the Acer Swift and the Lenovo Idea Pad 720 . You will see a huge difference . Anyone thinking of buying that HP x360 , My advice would be Don't , just wait till the other 2 come out .

It might interest you to know that AMD provided the laptop for Tim to test, not HP. They must think it's half decent if they're willing to provide it for review... anyway you work with what you've got, Tim will continue to get Ryzen laptops and test them in as many applications and games as he can.

It might interest you to know that AMD provided the laptop for Tim to test, not HP. They must think it's half decent if they're willing to provide it for review... anyway you work with what you've got, Tim will continue to get Ryzen laptops and test them in as many applications and games as he can.

AMD provided it because its the only Ryzen Laptop they got out at the moment . The other 2 Ryzen laptops from Acer and Lenovo will blow the HP one off the face of the earth , just wait till you see

Back