Sabrent is selling the world's first 4TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD for $750

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Sabrent has once again grabbed a world-first in the solid-state drive market. Following on from its 8TB NVMe SSD that ran on the PCIe 3.0 interface, the company is now selling the first-ever 4TB PCIe 4.0 SSD.

It was back in May when Sabrent wowed us with the latest model from its Rocket Q family, which uses Micron's 3D QLC NAND technology to squeeze eight terabytes of speedy storage into an NVMe PCIe 3.0 M.2 SSD. As you might imagine, though, it's expensive: $1,500+

Sabrent's new offering might half the storage space, but it uses a faster interface. TweakTown spotted a listing for the world's only 4TB PCIe 4.0 SSD on Amazon. The latest Rocket Q4 boasts sequential read speeds of up to 4,900 MB/s and write speeds of up to 3,500 MB/s. PCIe 3.0 drives, for comparison, can reach around 3,500MB/s read and 3,300 MB/s write.

Four terabytes of PCIe Gen4 storage does cost a lot—$750, or $769.99 with a heatsink. There's also a 2TB PCIe 4.0 option that costs $400.

Unlike the other size capacities in the Rocket Q4 line, which are based on Toshiba's BiCS4 96L TLC (triple-level cell) NAND Flash memory, the 4TB option is based on QLC technology with 4 bits per cell. There is a 2TB QLC option, though.

Taking advantage of those speeds will require a PCIe 4.0 motherboard, of course, which right now are limited to AMD's X570 and B550 chipsets. And while it is fast, expect to see future PCIe 4.0 SSDs that are even faster—we saw Adata's XPG Sage at CES that promises sequential read and write speeds of over 7,000 and 6,000 MB/s, respectively.

Permalink to story.

Never heard of "Sabrent" before. Hmmm...

Do they also outsource the production to China?

I have their 1TB version and it's super-fast. I replaced my Samsung 970Pro with this. Can't see why I need to upgrade to 4TB when I seriously need to upgrade my graphics card.

I recently grabbed a couple of their PCIe 4 1TB drives when building PCs for my parents and brother... they use the same controller as Crucial drives and are slightly cheaper (no heatsink, so make sure your motherboard has one - buying one separately makes Crucial the better buy).
Great performance - they LOVE their computers :)

Seeing 4TB drives now makes me happy only in that I’ll be upgrading in a couple years - and I currently have about 40TB of storage...

It might be possible for me to go all SSD without spending north of $10,000 if all goes well!

Never heard of "Sabrent" before. Hmmm...

Do they also outsource the production to China?
Sabrent have been around for years, but only recently switched to selling storage products. The NAND flash used is Toshiba's but the drives themselves could well be manufactured in China, or just as easily in Japan, Taiwan, South Korea, or anywhere else that makes electronic products.

I will wait till its half the price and I will grab one, my current 2TB will have to do till then

I recently grabbed a couple of their PCIe 4 1TB drives when building PCs for my parents and brother... they use the same controller as Crucial drives and are slightly cheaper (no heatsink, so make sure your motherboard has one - buying one separately makes Crucial the better buy).
Great performance - they LOVE their computers :)

Seeing 4TB drives now makes me happy only in that I’ll be upgrading in a couple years - and I currently have about 40TB of storage...

It might be possible for me to go all SSD without spending north of $10,000 if all goes well!

Micron and Samsung have 8TB QLC SSD for less than $1000.

Regardless the B.S. you may hear,for your average consumer, QLC drives are perfect. They are only not that great for professionals doing many read/write cycles.

This Sabrent 4TB would be perfect for me.

Last edited:
Micron and Samsung have 8TB QLC SSD for less than $1000.

Regardless the B.S. you may hear,for your average consumer, QLC drives are perfect. They are only not that great for professionals doing many read/write cycles.

This Sabrent 4TB would be perfect for me.
Yep :)

But I'm not upgrading for at least 2 years... by that time, I can foresee much cheaper 8+ TB SSDs for me to get :)

I always love watching how storage gets bigger, cheaper and faster - makes me think my "perfect PC" might not be that far off...

Lets stick to the facts. I don't make any money from my pc (except working from home during covid ) but I need a **** load of "professional" gear and use it like it's ment to be used.

Maybe remove professionals from statements about how pcs are used? Many enthusiasts like those on this site would be harder on components than your average "professional" user.

Lets stick to the facts. I don't make any money from my pc (except working from home during covid ) but I need a **** load of "professional" gear and use it like it's ment to be used.

Maybe remove professionals from statements about how pcs are used? Many enthusiasts like those on this site would be harder on components than your average "professional" user.
Um... that’s kind of what he said...

I think you need to focus on the one word I focused on. Last paragraph, have another look.

The rest was fine, well BS about QLC is debatable and long term we have yet to see.
You are talking about professionals.... his quote was about the “average consumer”... again, I think you’re replying to the wrong person...

Um... that’s kind of what he said...

It's so frustrating arguing with people about SSD drives.

For example: The new Samsung MZ 77Q1T0 has an endurance of 360 TBW which means you can write around 360 Terabytes can be written to a drive before it begins to fail.

OK...if I took 100% of my current data and put it on a single drive, you'd only see 4TB tops.

What I'm not doing is writing and rewriting my drives multiple times.

What I'm interested in is the sustained read speeds for gaming - which are just fine.

I'm also interested in having all my data on a single SSD so that I can easily back it all up to a HDD but enjoy the benefits of fast startups, shutdowns and gaming load times.

And once technology improves, I'll just buy a new drive and move everything over to the bigger, better, newer drive.

I have no idea how QLC got such a bad name on the "average consumer" market.

8TB for less than $1000 is a pretty good deal (Micron, Samsung)

It's so frustrating arguing with people about SSD drives.

For example: The new Samsung MZ 77Q1T0 has an endurance of 360 TBW which means you can write around 360 Terabytes can be written to a drive before it begins to fail.

What I'm not doing is writing and rewriting my drives multiple times.

I have no idea how QLC got such a bad name on the "average consumer"

I'm not against QLC but obviously we operate in totally different environments and magnitudes of data.

I quote the write operations from anthony heddings cloud engineer
Slc 100,000
Mlc 10,000 to 35,000
Tlc 5000
Qlc 1000

Using those numbers after 1000 boots (approx 3 years) the drive starts failing on average, there's little redundancy in qlc. You also see these drives are warranted for max 3 years and are generally in sata connection as they are slower than others.

Use one for your download/torrenting, as an average consumer could and it could fail quickly. Failing hdds are one of the worst experiences the average consumer experiances. They also don't upgrade their drives every so often.

So as a newer technology, it is slower, cheaper and 5x less reliable than the next cheapest ssd type.

As Anthony states, don't use them for boot drives or any drives that get written to often.

As Anthony states, don't use them for boot drives or any drives that get written to often.

Bummer and there goes my use case. I can write/delete average of 1TB of data per week, sometimes twice as much and other times half that.

I guess I will have to stick with Samsung Pro drives :(

I'm not against QLC but obviously we operate in totally different environments and magnitudes of data.

I quote the write operations from anthony heddings cloud engineer
Slc 100,000
Mlc 10,000 to 35,000
Tlc 5000
Qlc 1000

Using those numbers after 1000 boots (approx 3 years) the drive starts failing on average, there's little redundancy in qlc. You also see these drives are warranted for max 3 years and are generally in sata connection as they are slower than others.

Use one for your download/torrenting, as an average consumer could and it could fail quickly. Failing hdds are one of the worst experiences the average consumer experiances. They also don't upgrade their drives every so often.

So as a newer technology, it is slower, cheaper and 5x less reliable than the next cheapest ssd type.

Man, thank the gods I read this. I had bought 2 of them on Amazon as a boot drive & an external drive for 4K editing - I couldn't believe the speed for the price! - then read this & have now cancelled the order!

EDIT: And after what you said, something I read before now makes more sense: a review I read of these before I bought them said the only recommendation they would make to Sabrent is that they have a 3 year warranty - as these only have a 1 year warranty at the moment. Now I understand why it's only a 1 year warranty...

Last edited:
Man, thank the gods I read this. I had bought 2 of them on Amazon as a boot drive & an external drive for 4K editing - I couldn't believe the speed for the price! - then read this & have now cancelled the order!

EDIT: And after what you said, something I read before now makes more sense: a review I read of these before I bought them said the only recommendation they would make to Sabrent is that they have a 3 year warranty - as these only have a 1 year warranty at the moment. Now I understand why it's only a 1 year warranty...
I've been looking back on why I bought this so quickly after finding it on Amazon & thought this might help others as well. There are 2 kinds of these - the white with rusty-brown stripes & the black with rusty-brown stripes - so you think you are buying the same one, just with different memory on the Amazon page - because Amazon sells them on the same page. But, on further inspection, you will actually see that the white one is QLC & the black one is TLC. And yes, the black is more expensive. But if you look at the pictures of the drives themselves, they both only have the same thing: "Rocket Q4 NVMe PCIe 4.0"

Back