Safe, or suicidal, to remove these programs?

losdavos

Hi,
Just trying to free up space on my hd by removing unused software.
There are several apps that take up a lot of space, but I'm afraid they might be necessary. Would it be safe to remove the following apps, or are they integral to my system?
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1

This is a PC that runs XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3, and I only use it to connect to the web and things like the iTunes store and Netflix. It's not networked to any other PCs nor is it likely ever to be.

Thanks!!

Well nothing "bad" will happen if you get rid of all of them, but a lot of stuff depends on them, and they are not huge packages, so you might as well leave them IMO. You could just end up reinstalling them later; I know I need them, but you might not.
Anyway, it's safe to uninstall them to try.

If you're that desperate for space on your HDD, that you're considering removing net framework packages, it might be time to consider buying yourself a bigger hard drive.

I agree with the above; if your that tight on hard disk space you really need to be getting a bigger hard disk.

I have gone down this path myself.

One way to test if you can abort .NET.* is to disable the
.Net Runtime Optimization Services Vxxx​
I've set mine to MANUAL start, but for testing use DISABLE.

If any application needs .net, it will complain and quit. Now you can get an inventory of the usage realities of your usage per application.

For me, I have one and only one App which 'needs' .net (Quickbooks 2009 Pro R12).
After much regression on R12 (stopped working and I could not get the bills), I reinstall QB
and deleted the MultUser feature (the component needing .net). Now I can run QB reliably AND I don't need .net.*.anything [ I'm a happy camper ]

I've left all .net installed, but may soon abort the bugger.

Caveat: MS itself may use some of this depending up (XP, Vista, Win/7) and new techniques for software delivery and maintenace.

Be sure to get a System State backup if you elect to abort it.

unfortunately many programs when installing rely on a particular .net and thus will not run for example if a program needs v3 but you have 4 it won't install
because it looks at registries for 3, they reside in their own directories and have their own registry.
leave them
use treesize free program to get a better idea to delete stuff that is less 'important' then those.
see here about monthly cleanup:

rmaniac.blogspot.com/2010/04/recommended-weekly-cleanup-procedure.html

Back