Same copy of Windows on both my internal hard drives?

Dhakos

I've been running Vista from my 500gb HD, but recently I bought a 1TB HD to add to my computer, and will now use this as my main HD.

Both HDs are installed in my computer, I only want to keep the OS on my 2nd HD because it'll mean that I have a backup bootable HD if the first one ever fails.

So my question is, am I ok to install my copy of Vista on my new 1TB HD while leaving the same copy on my old HD? (impossible to use boot both at the same time)

Many Thanks

Yes, because you're using one at a time. You have problems if you use two different computers at the same time with the one license. You are using the same computer with the same license. It's essentially one install on the same hardware.

Rather than install fresh, if you prefer to keep all the settings as they are now, you could actually clone the existing OS and all it's current data onto the new HDD. There are a number of free software packages that will do that. Typically the clone becomes the new live copy.

Or alternatively, you could use similar packages to prepare not exactly a clone, but a drive image which amounts to the same thing, but the existing OS remains the live version.

Ah, that's good, thanks for the fast replies :) I'm going to install a fresh OS though, this ones been needing a reinstall for months ;) very interesting about the drive image , may use that as a backup method :)

Back