Samsung accidentally reveals foldable Galaxy F

DPennington

Forward-looking: A leaked video from Samsung Vietnam supposedly showcases the company's first foldable phone, rumored to be released at some point in 2019. The video, which was subsequently pulled, depicts a foldable device with both internal and external displays, similar to renderings leaked last June.

Samsung is having a difficult time keeping things under wrap lately.

Following widespread leaks of the upcoming Galaxy S10, the phone maker once again let plans slip for an upcoming device. A teaser video likely meant to be shown at Samsung's first Unpacked conference of 2019 on February 20th shows multiple shots of what looks to be a foldable smartphone.

The yet-to-be-officially-named "Galaxy F" can be seen at the 0:25 mark and again right at the end of the clip.

The video, which was released by Samsung Vietnam before being quickly revoked, suggests that the Galaxy F will be much thinner than foldable prototypes we've seen, such as the Royole FlexPai that debuted at CES in January.

Samsung has been dropping major hints of a foldable device lately. In November, the company unveiled its Infinity Flex display technology, and the recent One UI Android skin has built-in functionality for foldable devices.

Those with a keen eye might have noticed that the layout of the Galaxy F is unorthodox. It seemingly has both an external and internal display, with the external display staying lit even when the device is flipped open. Judging by the shots in the video, that would suggest a large external screen paired with a tablet-sized foldable internal screen, which is at least one screen more than is necessary.

Whether this is the actual device or simply a rendering for the video remains to be seen.

If this is the foldable phone Samsung has been working on, it does seem to match the rendering leaked in June 2018. That handset, with the Galaxy X moniker, was predicted to cost almost $2,000.

Permalink to story.

I learned that as a straight caucasian male I have to keep all my comments to myself (I feel constantly oppressed and discriminated online). But after reading the previous comments... I'm mind blown and I will not emit any other comment. Simply wow...

With that out of the way...
Judging by the shots in the video, that would suggest a large external screen paired with a tablet-sized foldable internal screen, which is at least one screen more than is necessary.
I'm just guessing here, but since it was leaked that it couldn't be completely folded without breaking, this suggests that they may have come up with a solution by folding it the other way (Closing it in), that would mean by today standards that such a thing as a phone without a screen is a complete failure, so they solved that by adding a "smaller" screen on the front so it can still be useful while not fully fledged.

Again, that's what my logic brain is telling me but it's just that, a guess.

Incredible how they show a toddler carrying around a 5g radiation death device in her backpack then later they show it being directly applied to unborn one

Is it just me or is this diversity crap just as racist and discriminatory as the stuff it's trying to fight? "Blacks and gays need special treatment because white people are the devil"

I see this crap being so intentional that it feels like a white person afraid of being racist made all these commercials. That or they are racist and feel bad about it so they give special treatment to minorities. If we are all equals then it shouldn't matter who is in a commercial.

If blacks and gays are normal people then why do we have to go out of our way to showcase them in pop culture?

I love how the only white person in the commercial is a gay white women in an interracial relationship. God forbid we put a white male in this, they only make up 25% of the US population. These commercials ignore demographics in favor of social justice.

Do you know how you know the people who make these ads are racist? Because to them, race matters

Social Justice? Racist? This is about making money, not about getting panties in a twist.

The smart advertiser targets the populations who open their wallets the most and if that happens to be non-WASPs then that's who is featured in the ads.

Social Justice? Racist? This is about making money, not about getting panties in a twist.

The smart advertiser targets the populations who open their wallets the most and if that happens to be non-WASPs then that's who is featured in the ads.
I believe your usage of WASP is wrong and it certainly doesn't apply to me because I'm Slovak. I also don't think you understand how much work went into making that video in that way. I don't know if you've noticed, but many of apples commercials have no one in them at all. This commercial is about brand image, not the products.

They didn't feature an interracial lesbian couple trying to have a kid for no reason.

I believe your usage of WASP is wrong and it certainly doesn't apply to me because I'm Slovak. I also don't think you understand how much work went into making that video in that way. I don't know if you've noticed, but many of apples commercials have no one in them at all. This commercial is about brand image, not the products.

They didn't feature an interracial lesbian couple trying to have a kid for no reason.
That's the point, they featured those people because they have disposable income. Not only that, the advert team feels they can sell successfully to those people as they are parted with their money most easily. Doesn't mean they're right but they've probably done at least some market research.

I guess I spoke too soon a day or two ago..looks like Samsung built the exact phone I was suggesting! Too bad they also seem to have clue who the overwhelming majority of their market will be. But Samsung's cringeworthy ignorance is completely eclipsed by the writer of this piece:

"Judging by the shots in the video, that would suggest a large external screen paired with a tablet-sized foldable internal screen, which is at least one screen more than is necessary."

Talk about failing at logic. This the device half the geeks on the planet have been wanting.

That's the point, they featured those people because they have disposable income. Not only that, the advert team feels they can sell successfully to those people as they are parted with their money most easily. Doesn't mean they're right but they've probably done at least some market research.
I don't know how closely you looked at those demographics, but African Americans are among the poorest. I'm not saying it's their fault, black communities were oppressed for decades. The point being, your idea that they are advertising to people who have money fubar. Further, how many inter racial lesbian couples do you see trying to have medically assisted pregnancies?

Last edited:
It's a Vietnamese ad... so likely to be targeting southeast asia hence quite a bit of asians in the ad. They probably have other frames/segments that they use to make it cater to different regions of the world.

One thing though, communist Vietnam approving an ad with lesbians, etc...

They leaked it by accident? My, my, someone must've gotten fired for that. It happens too often!

"leaked" is such an overused term it's pretty much tabloid worthy at this point. More likely this is intentional dissemination.

It is because Samsung wants controversy. (Media attention)

Less than 5% of all humans are homosexuals, & yet LBGQ are over-portrayed in our News Media, in our TV shows, in our Music, in the public light, etc. Gay People are statistically an ultra small demographic, of human society.

Can we please move onto more pressing issues, instead of making everything about LBGQ..? (Samsung..?)

Back