Samsung adds four high refresh monitors to its Odyssey line

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Samsung is adding to its impressive Odyssey gaming monitor lineup with four new models that feature high refresh rates, up to 4K resolutions, and FreeSync support. The flat panel displays range in size from 24 inches to 28 inches.

We’re big fans of Samsung’s Odyssey line, awarding the G7 32-inch our “Best 1440p gaming monitor @ 240Hz” award in this feature, and gave the 49-inch super-ultrawide Odyssey G9 a score of 90 in our review.

Joining the lineup is the Odyssey G7 28-inch (G70A). Unlike its G7 siblings, this monitor uses a 4K resolution with a 144Hz refresh rate. It’s also the only one of the four to feature AMD’s FreeSync Premium Pro, as opposed to FreeSync premium, though both versions are G-Sync compatible.

The G7 28-inch boasts a peak 400 nits brightness, earning it VESA DisplayHDR400 certification, and a 1ms GtG response time. Ports consist of DisplayPort 1.4, two USB 3.2 Gen 1 ports, and HDMI 2.1, making it an ideal option for XBSX/PS5 owners. It’s also the only one to come with Auto Source Switch+.

Next is the G5 27 inch (G50A). This is a 1440p@165Hz monitor with a 1ms GtG response time and HDR10, though the 350 nits peak brightness means it misses out on Vesa certification. It also comes with FreeSync Premium and has many of the G7’s features: Low Input Lag Mode, Super Arena Gaming UX, Ultrawide Game View, and CoreSync Lighting. The HDMI is downgraded to 2.0, and it uses DisplayPort 1.2.

Finally, there are the two G3 models. The only difference between the 27-inch and 24-inch versions appears to be the size. Both have 1080p resolutions, 250 nits brightness, and 144Hz refresh rates with a 1ms (MPRT) response rate and AMD FreeSync Premium.

All three monitors come with 100 x 100 VESA mounts and height-adjustable stands with pivot, swivel, and tilt.

Samsung has yet to announce any prices or availability for the new Odyssey monitors.

Permalink to story.

I'm not impressed with any of these. I want a 32" 4K monitor with 144hz, HDR-1000+ and HDMI 2.1 or DisplayPort 2.0, of which none still to be found anywhere. It's a disgrace, considering that TV-s surpassed it awhile ago.

Samsung is just pushing it with yet another set of subpar monitors under different names.

Last edited:
By Samsung's standards, most of us already have HDR10 monitors (since theirs don't even need 400 nits which is barley HDR at all).

Not all HDR is created equal!

if anyone is confused, google it, read it.

I'm not impressed with any of these. I want a 32" 4K monitor with 144hz, HDR-1000+ and HDMI 2.1 or DisplayPort 2.0, of which none still to be found anywhere. It's a disgrace, considering that TV-s surpassed it awhile ago.

Samsung is just pushing it with yet another set of subpar monitors under different names.

Thanks, VitalyT, my sentiments, too! But I would add BOTH HDMI 2.1 AND latest DisplayPort, and even bigger screen.

Also, even a RTX 3090 is under-powered.

We have been waiting for this for over 5 years. So we will still wait...

Almost: https://www.gigabyte.com/Monitor/AORUS-FV43U

43" instead of 32" and lacks DP 2.0 but then again there are no DP 2.0 GPU's yet anyway.
But fills other requirements including HDR1000 and HDMI 2.1

There also non-HDR models coming to market that are 32" 4K 144Hz with HDMI 2.1 and cost around 700€.

OK, now that is pretty sweet! That size could work for me. Maybe wall mount and pair it with a 27" 1080p that is in portrait mode.

I know it has HDMI 2.1 which includes VRR. Does it support latest G-Sync, etc?

Now I can't wait for RTX 4080 ti... (and DDR5, PCIe 5.0...)!

Edit:
Here it is ("coming soon...") on Amazon. Yes on the G-Sync, not sure about FreeSync.
Edit 2:
While we are imaging the dream monitor, standardized RGB backlighting behind the monitor would be one of the only useful uses of RGB.

Last edited:
Back