Samsung Blu-ray players stuck in boot loop

midian182

Staff member
Facepalm: Has your Samsung Blu-ray player been experiencing major problems over the last few days? It’s not the only one. Users report that a range of the devices have stopped working, with the most common issue being boot loops.

The issues started appearing on Friday when angry owners reported the problems on Reddit, Twitter, and Samsung’s own forums. It appears that whatever the cause, it is affecting various models around the world, from the BD-J5700 to the HJ-4500 entertainment system.

Getting stuck in an infinite boot loop appears to be the most common issue, though some say the machines are making noises as if they’re attempting to read an empty disc drive. Many have discovered that neither the buttons on the players nor the remote controls are responding.

Restarts and hard resets have failed to fix the Blu-ray players. It’s still unclear what has caused them to break, though suggestions include an automatic firmware update that’s had some unintended effects. It might also be an expired SSL security certificate in the firmware, which is a strong possibility given that the same thing happened in December, preventing many Samsung TVs from accessing BBC iPlayer.

Samsung hasn’t released an official statement regarding the problem, but the company will certainly be aware of it. Hopefully, it will offer a fix sooner rather than later—not being able to use their expensive Blu-ray players means lots of unhappy owners. Let’s hope Samsung will be able to push out a solution, rather than requiring the devices to be sent in for repairs.

Permalink to story.

Mine is an asus external BDRW connected to my HTPC. Althought not total but since couple of months ago I could not play newly bought Bluray movies anymore. It work fine with my older collection though.

Just putting this here because maybe there is some connection?

I have this suspicion that the bluray alliance do miss many things.

In the old days it would have pointed to a problem with the "interrupts", but now it's obviously not that clear.

In the old days it would have pointed to a problem with the "interrupts", but now it's obviously not that clear.
In the old days it would carry on working like many 10-35 year old CD / DVD players / Hi-Fi's still do today due to not needing to be online in the first place or having firmware flashed at all let alone every 3 weeks. 4K BR was killed off just as much by the most ridiculous online DRM than streaming services.

Cue the class action attorneys. I'm not usually a fan of their BS lawsuits where the consumers usually end up getting a 25 cent coupon off their next purchase from the very same vendor who has just admitted to behaving badly, but if they can run up sufficient expenses maybe it'll make these firms think twice about agreeing to weighing down their products with so much DRM.

Garbage products like LG's. Had both an LG bluray player and Samesung player both develop faults within 18 months, first hdd died, then the bluray crapped out utter crap. Never again!

Mine is an asus external BDRW connected to my HTPC. Althought not total but since couple of months ago I could not play newly bought Bluray movies anymore. It work fine with my older collection though.

Just putting this here because maybe there is some connection?

I have this suspicion that the bluray alliance do miss many things.
new discs come with updated security keys. You need to update your player on the computer to be able to play newer discs.

Back