Samsung breaks ground on massive campus in Silicon Valley

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Samsung will be breaking ground on a brand new campus in San Jose, California, this week. The facility will be used as a headquarters for research and development and is being designed by world renowned architectural firm NBBJ.

The structure will encompass 1.1 million square feet when it’s complete. There will be a 10-story central building with two floors that will be completely open-air. The exterior will be covered in glass and white metal while the parking garage will feature a folding green wall that is said to resemble a vertical garden.

samsung silicon valley campus

Naturally, there will be a ton of office space given its size but in true Silicon Valley fashion, it’ll also play home to cafes, a gym, dining areas and even gardens. We’re told the campus will be built to LEED Gold environmental standards.

In a statement on the matter, Samsung said there is little surprise that most of their employees are based in South Korea where the company is headquartered. But the company also realizes that innovation is by no means geographically limited and as such, they are continuing to expand the extent of their operations elsewhere.

Big budget campuses are trending these days as Amazon, Apple and Nvidia are all planning to build new campuses in the coming years. Cupertino’s proposed spaceship campus is estimated to cost upwards of $5 billion while Nvidia’s new headquarters is said to rival Apple’s in several aspects.

Samsung expects the new campus to be ready by mid-2015.

Permalink to story.

Big budget campuses are trending these days as Amazon, Apple and Nvidia are all planning to build new campuses in the coming years. Cupertino?s proposed spaceship campus is estimated to cost upwards of $5 billion while Nvidia?s new headquarters is said to rival Apple?s in several aspects.

Funny how much more ostentatious the tech industry is than other industries. For example, Walmart was built spending as little as possible... Sam Walton even named it Walmart because he could buy the fewest possible letters for the store. To be fair though, Apple and Walmart don't exactly share much of a customer base.

I won't rip on them though... that's $5 billion in jobs and materials that's going into the US economy.

I won't rip on them though... that's $5 billion in jobs and materials that's going into the US economy.

Exactly. If they want to build a life sized star wars ship replica off the coast of California I would be for it. God knows we need to economic boost in this country. No help from this administration.

People tend to waste more money on overpriced hi-tech gizmo's than they should. I thought we were in a worldwide recession but it sure doesn't look like the tech industry is feeling the pinch.

I don't know why, but the bottom picture makes me think the campus is under a zombie invasion!

Back