Samsung Galaxy Player devices coming to the US this spring

Emil

Staff

As expected, Samsung has announced an expansion of the Galaxy Family of portable devices with the addition of the Galaxy Player. The device is the first in a new category of Android-based mobile devices that strip out the 3G and calling functionality of a Galaxy S phone. There are two models, one with a 4" Super Clear WVGA LCD screen and one with a 5" LCD WVGA screen, and both allow the user to enjoy games, music, videos, social media, and e-books.

The 4" and 5" screen models of the Galaxy Player weigh just 5 and 7 ounces, respectively. Both devices boast Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g/n) connectivity, front and rear cameras (including flash on the 5" model) for videoconferencing or photography, a microphone for VoIP calls over a WiFi via Qik, stereo speakers with Virtual 5.1 surround sound and Samsung's SoundAlive post-processing technology, and support for Adobe Flash 10.1. Both devices run Android 2.2 (codenamed Froyo) and will be upgradeable to Android 2.3 (codenamed Gingerbread). Here's a brief comparison chart for the two:

Both Galaxy Players support numerous multimedia formats natively, eliminating the need to transcode files: audio (MP3, WMA, AAC, Ogg, and Flac) as well as video (DivX, Xvid, WMV, MPEG4, and H.264). Drag 'N Play support means files can be simply dragged from a PC right onto the player; installing special software of any kind on the PC is not required. A MicroSD slot allows 32 GB of extra storage, supplementing the 8GB on-board storage.

Galaxy Players are DLNA Certified and support AllShare, meaning content can be streamed to and from a PC or television without wires. Last but not least, they have Google certification, so they can access the 100,000+ Android apps in the Android Market.

"Our Galaxy Family – including Galaxy S mobile phones and Galaxy Tab – has been a success because we give people what they truly wish for – access to thousands of Android Apps coupled with Samsung's sleek design," Tim Baxter, President of the Consumer Business Division at Samsung Electronics America, said in a statement. "Our new Galaxy Players deliver that same experience in two terrific, ultra-portable form factors – without incurring fees for a monthly data plan."

Permalink to story.

In the future, do you mind using standard SI units instead of proprietary US/UK crap?

Imperial units aren't any more 'proprietary' than SI. Last I knew they were both free to use. Secondly, this is about a product coming to the U.S., on a page written by people from the U.S., where most people read it are probably from the U.S. Using imperial unit makes perfect sense, and a hell of a lot more of it than "12.7 CM" does to me.

We use the standard SI unit over here in Canada by the way.

And there was Archos providing a similar device, but more competition wouldn't hurt.

The thing I really like about this vs. the iPod aside from the fact that it doesn't use Apple's restrictive store and locked down devices is that it has GPS. Everything in one!

What I need in a PMP is Tegra 3 to play 1080p matroska files with complete subtitle support and at least 10 hours of battery life. I would love to be able to drag and drop my anime on to it for bus rides to and from work.

I love this... I would probably get the 5" if I knew it would properly fit into your pocket... otherwise I would get the 4" (I think that the iPod has a 3.75" screen, just 2 give u some reference). It would b nice to see some battery info... I've heard that the 5" has a 2500 but idk about the 4"... I'd say that the iPod is pretty crappy after all of the screen, battery life, and all of the features that u can't do. Especially I h8 how apple _takes_ advantage of people (my custom has 4.0 Ghz processeser quad core i5, 4 GB of RAM, overclockability & windows 7... not saying that windows is a good thing, its just better than apple's snow lepard, leapard wtever... for ~$1000 while you get a wimpy macbook 4 the same price and half a apple on the front of it) the iPod has wimpy speakers, and wimpy selection of speakers. Apples crying about google, amazon etc. and suiting them. As if they came up with the word "app" in the first place and as if they came up with the word "store". these are the most generic terms in the smartphone world! Just bcuz they popularized it doesn't mean they came up with it. GOODBYE APPLE, HELLO GOOGLE!
thank u 4 reading this

Back