Samsung HDD Quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Relic

I am in search for another back-up HDD for a good price. I found a 500gb Samsung for $50 which seems good even thou its a bit slower then others. I know there are some good 1TB deals which is the best gb to $ but that's a little more then I need atm. I have a TV, headphones and some other general entertainment electronics from Samsung and they've never failed me, but nothing PC related. Just looking for some input if anyone used one of there HDD and how there quality is.

Is this a good buy? Or should I stick with more familiar HDD brand such as a 500GB WD? They even have a $75 TB Drive =X .

All hard drives will fail sooner or later. It could be you will have good luck with the samsung, BUT I prefer to go with proven brands (for me it would be WD or Seagate). This is assuming you data is valuable. If it is not that valluable and/or you are backing it up anyway then go with the samsung.

Here is a WD for $60 with free shipping. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136073
and if you shop around you might find even better deals

red have you had luck with those Seagate drives? i had 2 of them and the both went poof on me within 3 months and i had nice airflow on them :(

@klepto12 Were these failed Seagates part of the recent run of bad drives? Seagate had a bad run of high capacity (SATA) HDDs. You should check out the Seagate website for more info. There's also a firmware fix.

Thanks for the advice all, got myself a WD instead but for future purposes I'll keep Samsung in mind as well :) .

no they are the 500g models i thought that was there higher capacity drives?
I actually think their problems extended to the 500GB models. It wouldn't hurt to have a look.

First the problem was supposed to be with the "Barracuda" series, but then it was found to be in their "ES" model drives as well, so who knows.

The seagate 1.5TB ones had lots of problems initially, supposedly newer firmware fixed that.

At Seagate's website, they were listing quite a few models that could be affected.

At first they released a firmware update that "bricked" quite a number of good drives, then a second update fixed the problem

red have you had luck with those Seagate drives? i had 2 of them and the both went poof on me within 3 months and i had nice airflow on them :(
I have had great luck with them, apparently the ones to stay away from are the 7000.11, but the 7000.12 twelfth generation does not have those bugs, according to several review sites

hmmm ok i might try to check out the warrenty on those drives i just replaced them with good old WD drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back