1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Samsung introduces 64-megapixel image sensor for smartphones

By Shawn Knight · 16 replies
May 9, 2019
Post New Reply
  1. Samsung on Thursday expanded its 0.8-micrometer (μm) image sensor lineup with the introduction of two new components, the 64-megapixel ISOCELL Bright GW1 and the 48-megapixel ISOCELL Bright GM2.

The Bright GW1 features the highest resolution in Samsung’s 0.8μm-pixel image sensor lineup. It’s capable of churning out detailed 64-megapixel shots in bright settings and 16-megapixel images in low-light environments thanks to its use of Tetracell technology which merges four pixels into one.

In mixed-light environments, the GW1 utilizes HDR with up to 100 decibels to provide richer hues. Samsung said the dynamic range of a conventional image sensor is around 60dB while the human eye is closer to 120dB.

On the video side, Samsung’s new 64-megapixel sensor can capture full HD clips at up to 480 frames per second.

The ISOCELL Bright GM2, meanwhile, also utilizes Tetracell technology and a remosaic algorithm for improved performance in well-lit environments. Like its bigger brother, the 48-megapixel sensor is also equipped with Dual Conversion Gain (DCG) and works with Super PD, a high-end phase detection auto-focus technology.

Samsung is currently sampling its Bright GW1 and GM2 sensors with clients and expects the hardware to enter mass production sometime during the second half of 2019.

Permalink to story.

2. grumblguts

grumblguts TS Enthusiast Posts: 82   +75

Phones are fine for snap shots but honestly anything more than 5 mega pixel is overkill for a camera phone with no aperture.
    I would choose a SLR 10 mega pixel over this 64 mega pixel camera phone all day long.

onestepforward likes this.
  3. ShagnWagn

ShagnWagn TS Guru Posts: 722   +559

https://www.explainthatstuff.com/digitalcameras.html
    " "Megapixels" are a misleading marketing ploy: what really matters is the size and quality of the image sensors themselves. Generally, the bigger the sensor, the better the pictures. "

64mp means nothing to me, other than it artificially eats up much more unnecessary storage space. Samsung marketing taking advantage of the less knowledgeable and their wallets. Again.

4. antiproduct

antiproduct TS Addict Posts: 115   +127

So... how quickly would your nice new phone run out of storage space with photos/video that size?

5. grumblguts

grumblguts TS Enthusiast Posts: 82   +75

6. OutlawCecil

OutlawCecil TS Guru Posts: 674   +485

I'm rocking a 16MP camera and pictures look great. Modern phones are already around 48MP! Seriously, it's fine where we are. We're arguably approaching overkill.

7. roberthi

roberthi TS Addict Posts: 406   +124

More optical zoom > more megapixels.

xxLCxx and ShagnWagn like this.
  8. Mugsy

Mugsy TS Evangelist Posts: 579   +74

I'm always interested in stories of higher & higher megapixel capacity/resolution at the same form-factor because I believe every advancement gets us closer to a true "bionic" eye and a cure for blindness.

9. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TS Evangelist Posts: 3,949   +2,266

You might want to have a look at this https://medicalxpress.com/news/2019-05-uncover-mechanism-blocking-retina-regeneration.html
    A true cure for blindness, without the need for a bionic eye, may be much closer than you think.

Mugsy likes this.
  10. Mugsy

Mugsy TS Evangelist Posts: 579   +74

11. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 5,374   +3,770

I've got to believe these will make their way into the digital camera markets pretty soon. I just hope Canon picks up on it fast, their last digital camera has turned out to be a real dog ......

12. wiyosaya

I am sure that there are people out there working on all aspects of blindness.
    Have a look at the 5DS and the 5DS R. Honestly, I would not expect Samsung's phone camera sensor to be anywhere near the quality of the full-frame sensors in the 5DS and the 5DS R.

onestepforward likes this.
  13. toooooot

toooooot TS Evangelist Posts: 808   +398

This is why pro camera market keeps shrinking :"(
    There will never be the amount of money that goes
    to develop new more powerful but smaller things
    invested into new dslr and mirrorless tech (or mirrorless when
    they push out dslr completely)

14. zigi1337

zigi1337 TS Rookie

Good luck fitting that SLR into your back pocket

15. wiyosaya

I think anyone buying a DSLR knows it is not going to fit into their back pocket.

Besides, who wants to take pictures of the inside of their pants pocket? :laughing:

ShagnWagn likes this.
  16. poohbear

poohbear TS Maniac Posts: 292   +207

you mean my 1tb smartphone? I think its good. :)

17. zigi1337

zigi1337 TS Rookie

Well that same logic goes for buying smartphone with all those MP's, so your first post using the same logic dont make no sense... aaaigh?

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...