Samsung is letting you try a Galaxy foldable for 100 days

midian182

Staff member
In brief: If you’ve ever looked at a foldable phone and thought, “well, it seems pretty good, but I don’t want to risk paying a fortune for something I don’t like,” then Samsung has the perfect solution. The company is now giving people 100 days to try one of its new foldables before deciding whether to keep it.

While most retailers and Samsung’s website give customers two weeks to return a Galaxy device if they’re not happy with the purchase, the company is extending this period to 100 days for its $1,999 Galaxy Z Fold 2 and $1,099 Galaxy Z Flip 5G.

The promotion runs until April 1, so as long as you buy one of the devices from Samsung.com before that date, you’ll have 14 weeks and two days to return it for a full, no-questions-asked refund.

The Galaxy Z Fold 2 5G is the better reviewed of the two devices and boasts an average Amazon user score of 8.8. Two grand is a massive price for a phone, but the foldable boasts numerous improvements over its predecessor, including a sturdier, more functional hinge.

The Galaxy Z Flip 5G, which opens in like a traditional flip phone rather than a book, is cheaper ($1,199), though the reviews aren’t quite on par with the Z Fold 2 5G.

In addition to the extended return period, buyers get an “enhanced” $550 trade-in credit for eligible devices and $200 instant rebate for accessories.

Foldable devices have improved since the disaster that was the original Galaxy Fold launch, but they’re still finding a place in the market. The high prices don’t help—Huawei’s Mate X2 costs $2,800—so Samsung’s promotion offers a risk-free way of trying one before committing.

This week has also seen Samsung commit to providing at least 4 years of security updates for new Galaxy devices.

Image credit: Jack Skeens

Permalink to story.

I see no logic whatsoever in a foldable phone.

The compromises necessary to make it foldable make no sense whatsoever.

It reminds me a lot of carrying around a Gameboy XP vs. a Gameboy Advance. Being able to slip something in my pocket that's "thinner" than it is "long" just makes more sense than having something thicker than it is short.

I think after 100 days the trial version should produce a countdown, and then explode. But that's just me, I like certainty.

I have an important anecdotal dataset of one - I met a live user with one the other day - he said he could never go back - my brief glance confirmed indeed chunky - but massive screen real estate .
Using my meagre analytical skills - foldable phones are here to stay until something better comes along.

Predictions - we will get 2 & 3 folds in the future - especially with more powerful GPUs & BT controllers, more powerful tablets and surface go like devices - ( reasoning Nintendo Switch ) ie at least 4 form factors ( including std phones ) to rival the Switch - kind of like why PS Vita was superseded .
XBox pass will include PC , Xbox, all most not Apple platforms - and maybe Apple eventually

I have an important anecdotal dataset of one - I met a live user with one the other day - he said he could never go back - my brief glance confirmed indeed chunky - but massive screen real estate .
Using my meagre analytical skills - foldable phones are here to stay until something better comes along.

Predictions - we will get 2 & 3 folds in the future - especially with more powerful GPUs & BT controllers, more powerful tablets and surface go like devices - ( reasoning Nintendo Switch ) ie at least 4 form factors ( including std phones ) to rival the Switch - kind of like why PS Vita was superseded .
XBox pass will include PC , Xbox, all most not Apple platforms - and maybe Apple eventually
There is no doubt folding glass is here to stay. Being able to put a 7-8" tablet in a pocket is the reason. Being able to put a 6.7" phone in any pocket without any hassle is the reason. There's no magic, no gimickery, just plain and simple convenience.

How about letting us decide whether we'd like IR blaster, removable batteries, headphone jack, headphones and charger in the box?
I'll never buy Samsung again, even if I need to go to Apple for my next phones.
Samsung is sh!~, considering they do EXACTLY what iPhone does, after mocking them, of course.
It will be a cold day in Hell before I touch anything after S2 again, I've had quite a few LG V series (20, 30, 40) and I'm considering Sony or Motorola for the next phone.
Samsung is dead and buried, and doesn't exist as an alternative for me to any other Android; not even to the Chinese brands. I'd rather buy Huawei than them.

While foldable screen sounds cool, I feel we are regressing back to those old Motorola Startac days. I've seen friends using foldable phones, and I cannot help but feel how thick they are and in the unfolded state, the screen size is just odd. So if you can imagine if they release a 3 or 4 fold phone, it may be smaller than a conventional single display smartphone, but it will be quite a fair bit thicker. Personally, I prefer 1 screen where I see everything, vs a tiny screen where I need to unfold to see a bigger screen. To me, none of the existing foldable phone design makes sense.

Had mine (fold2) since launch. Very pleased with it. Could go back to a small phone, but would often miss the big screen. Especially for browsing and ebooks.
Cons.: Hard to find a good cover, that will not add a great deal to it's already bulky frame. Screen protector isn't great on the outer screen.

Back