Samsung knows if you're careless with the Galaxy Z Flip 3, may reject warranty claim

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Today's foldable phones might be more durable than their predecessors, but they’re still easy to break, especially if you’re careless with them. As such, Samsung will make sure that any warranty claims for its Galaxy Z Flip 3 aren’t false by checking all acceleration-based free-fall events, which engineers can access when assessing a claim.

It’s no secret that, like all foldable phones, users need to be careful with the $1,000 Galaxy Z Flip 3—more so than with standard handsets. Even Samsung stresses the importance of proper care.

SamMobile writes that Samsung isn’t going to replace or repair every Galaxy Z Flip 3 that’s damaged by users dropping the device, whether or not they’re still under warranty. It seems the phone uses its accelerometer to record all free falls of distances of one meter (3.2 feet) and higher.

If someone brings a Galaxy Z Flip 3 in for repair, claiming it inexplicably broke and engineers discover it’s been dropped, Samsung could refuse to carry out the work. Twitter user @FrontTron highlights cases of users being denied warranty claims because of this reason.

There is, however, an incident of someone whose Galaxy Z Flip 3 cracked along the hinge when not in use. Engineers discovered it had been dropped three times, the last one coming 10 hours before the crack, but the warranty claim was accepted as they had bought the handset less than two weeks ago. Though, it’s worth remembering that not everyone might be this lucky.

The takeaway here is that if you’re the kind of person who likes to throw your phone onto the bed or sofa from a distance, you might want to reel in that reckless attitude if you own a Galaxy Z Flip 3; otherwise, a genuine warranty claim could be rejected.

Permalink to story.

Samsung are garbage. Everyone bitches about Apple but the last Galaxy phone I had the charging port failed. When I sent it off it got returned with a letter stating that Samsungs warranty doesn’t cover port failure. Which happens to be the most common part of the phone to fail. The device was 8 months old at the time.

That was it for me, after that I went to iPhone and never looked back.

Well, I don't know of a single warrenty that covers accidental damage so while this might seem like a **** move, it's par for the course.
Samsung are garbage. Everyone bitches about Apple but the last Galaxy phone I had the charging port failed. When I sent it off it got returned with a letter stating that Samsungs warranty doesn’t cover port failure. Which happens to be the most common part of the phone to fail. The device was 8 months old at the time.

That was it for me, after that I went to iPhone and never looked back.
Break your iPhone and see if apple will replace it for free. When the charging port on my Pixel 2 went I took it to a repair shop and had them put a new battery while they had it open, I think it only cost me $60 and I had it until this year when I got the S21+. If anything ever happens to this I'll probably do the same thing

Well, I don't know of a single warrenty that covers accidental damage so while this might seem like a **** move, it's par for the course.
Break your iPhone and see if apple will replace it for free. When the charging port on my Pixel 2 went I took it to a repair shop and had them put a new battery while they had it open, I think it only cost me $60 and I had it until this year when I got the S21+. If anything ever happens to this I'll probably do the same thing
I’ve had two iPhones replaced for free in the store on the same day. No posting required.

Apple are miles in front of Samsung when it comes to after sales support and the fact that they have a store to take your phone into puts them ahead of most others.

Oh and iPhones get updates for a meaningful length of time, the phones resell for much higher and iOS absolutely humiliates Android generally.

I’ve had two iPhones replaced for free in the store on the same day. No posting required.

Apple are miles in front of Samsung when it comes to after sales support and the fact that they have a store to take your phone into puts them ahead of most others.

Oh and iPhones get updates for a meaningful length of time, the phones resell for much higher and iOS absolutely humiliates Android generally.
So you had two iPhones break on the same day? That sure screams quality. If Apple had meanful service then people like Louis Rosseman wouldn't have jobs. And I don't think you know this, but one of the reasons that Apple products have high resale value is that the only source of parts is to salvage them from old devices since Apple doesn't allow their manufacturing partners to sell them. Even if you get authentic parts out of an iPhone, putting that part into another phone will often arbitrarily disable features.

But as far as resale value of phones, I know plenty of people who buy last year's Android flagship at a heavily discounted price as stores try to clear inventory. Sure, Apple will support iphones for a long time but has been know to limit performance on older devices for the sake of "longevity".

If someone prefers iOS over Android that's fine, but there is nothing that objectively makes the hardware of one flagship better than the other. We’ve literally gotten to the point where the only thing manufactures can think of doing is adding more cameras. As someone who has my phones repaired and tries to get 4 years out of them I much prefer Android devices. When the time comes I'll probably be able to get an extra 2 years out of my s21+ for under $100 simple by taking it to a repair shop and having a new battery installed

So you had two iPhones break on the same day? That sure screams quality. If Apple had meanful service then people like Louis Rosseman wouldn't have jobs. And I don't think you know this, but one of the reasons that Apple products have high resale value is that the only source of parts is to salvage them from old devices since Apple doesn't allow their manufacturing partners to sell them. Even if you get authentic parts out of an iPhone, putting that part into another phone will often arbitrarily disable features.

But as far as resale value of phones, I know plenty of people who buy last year's Android flagship at a heavily discounted price as stores try to clear inventory. Sure, Apple will support iphones for a long time but has been know to limit performance on older devices for the sake of "longevity".

If someone prefers iOS over Android that's fine, but there is nothing that objectively makes the hardware of one flagship better than the other. We’ve literally gotten to the point where the only thing manufactures can think of doing is adding more cameras. As someone who has my phones repaired and tries to get 4 years out of them I much prefer Android devices. When the time comes I'll probably be able to get an extra 2 years out of my s21+ for under $100 simple by taking it to a repair shop and having a new battery installed
Objectively speaking, iPhones are far superior to Android phones in several ways. But you can get some very cheap Android devices which offer far more value.

Objectively speaking, iPhones are far superior to Android phones in several ways. But you can get some very cheap Android devices which offer far more value.
Then, objectively, how are iphones(a flagship phone with a price to match) better than flagship android phones. Today, sub $300 Android phones perform as well as flagship did 5 years ago. Phone development has stagnated so much that they're now just making stuff up, like foldables or 100+mp cameras.

Then, objectively, how are iphones(a flagship phone with a price to match) better than flagship android phones. Today, sub $300 Android phones perform as well as flagship did 5 years ago. Phone development has stagnated so much that they're now just making stuff up, like foldables or 100+mp cameras.
Ive already mentioned some and the chances are you won’t accept the objective truth. About 3x longer update support, much better resale value, better after sales support, far more performance, better cameras (than 95% of Android devices, some are quite decent). Far better security. Considerably better app support and accessory support.

There’s probably more but that should be enough to demonstrate my point.

And woop de doo, iPhones are stagnating? That’s not really an argument. It’s a phone I need it to work. If you’re expecting something exciting then I pity you…

Their are many objective reasons why iPhone hardware is better then android:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16983/the-apple-a15-soc-performance-review-faster-more-efficient/2

Back