Samsung launches massive 15 terabyte solid state drive

Shawn Knight

Staff member

If you're in the market for the absolute largest solid state drive money can buy, Samsung has your number. The South Korean technology giant is now shipping a massive 16 terabyte (technically 15.36TB) solid state drive that's also blazingly fast.

The PM1633a is a standard-sized 2.5-inch SSD that utilizes 512 of Samsung's third-generation 256Gb V-NAND memory chips. The 256Gb dies are stacked in 16 layers to form a single 512GB package, with a total of 32 NAND flash packages in the drive.

In terms of performance, the PM1633a boasts sequential read and write speeds of up to 1,200MB/s. Random read and write speeds are rated at up to 200,000 and 32,000 IOPS, respectively. Samsung says it supports 1 DWPD (drive writes per day) meaning 15.36TB of data can be written every day without failure. There's also a "highly dependable" metadata protection mechanism in addition to a data protection and restoration tool that can be used in case of momentary blackout.

If you haven't already guessed, this isn't a consumer-minded product as the PM1633a is based on a 12Gb/s serial attached SCSI (SAS) interface (in other words, it's primarily for enterprise applications).

Pricing hasn't yet been revealed but Samsung did say it will eventually provide a wide range of capacity options in the PM1633a SSD lineup with 7.68TB, 3.84TB, 1.92TB, 960GB and 480GB slated for release later this year.

Permalink to story.

Sounds nice, but I am just not willing to pay more for the drive than I am for the entire computer!

Lol Who frequents a tech site and then shoots down - tech? TECHSPOT readers!!! *sigh*

"Sounds nice, but I am just not willing to pay more for the drive than I am for the entire computer!"
You mean the drive showcased in the article? Well, as it stated, it's not designed for you. Did you miss that part? What about the part where the writer informed us of the lower capacity drives? hmm....

"That happened about 6 years ago, when the first ioFusion 10TB cards appeared on the corporate market for $125K a piece."
What part of HDD did you not understand? And who's choosing these cards over SSD's and HDD's? Oh, right....

That happened about 6 years ago, when the first ioFusion 10TB cards appeared on the corporate market for $125K a piece. It is only the price that matters.
Well yeah but this is more like single normal SATA drive now. I know bigger devices were possible before by combining and like internal RAIDing them...

As always, looking forward to the 'trickle down effect' to the mainstream.

Samsung had this drive a few years back hidden in their lab. And now they wanna bring it out and overcharge for it. Hell no. I aint buying until its very cheap.

I think the point is to maximize space in a single drive. I'm fairly certain where this drive is going, there will be more than 16 drives in the rack (whether it be 1TB or 16TB).

For personal use 16 drives is a too much. I'd rather go with 3x5TB or 4x4TB, if a single 16TB wasn't an option.

I think the point is to maximize space in a single drive. I'm fairly certain where this drive is going, there will be more than 16 drives in the rack (whether it be 1TB or 16TB).

For personal use 16 drives is a too much. I'd rather go with 3x5TB or 4x4TB, if a single 16TB wasn't an option.
I have more than 16 drives for personal use and I assure you it is not too much. ;)

I could fill two of those now and require a third to house everything in one of my machines certainly make things lighter and neater though

I could fill two of those now and require a third to house everything in one of my machines certainly make things lighter and neater though
Move the bulk storage out of the machine, then it's easier to use on all of them. Also put stuff you save but don't access on disc. I use a ton of mdisc BDS. I have one tall bookcase full of them.

Move the bulk storage out of the machine, then it's easier to use on all of them. Also put stuff you save but don't access on disc. I use a ton of mdisc BDS. I have one tall bookcase full of them.

Absolutely No good if your running a FTP.

Out of curiosity how thick is this drive? The article didn't say, does anyone know? I'm wondering if it is thicker than 12.5 mm.

Absolutely No good if your running a FTP.
I was talking about personal use systems, not file servers. I'd never use an ssd in a file server for FTP access online. It's a waste where the bottleneck of the internet will make it moot.

Back