Samsung launches the Galaxy XCover Pro, a rugged smartphone with a removable battery

midian182

Staff member
In a nutshell: Remember the good old days when phones were made to last and had batteries you could take out? Samsung does. The company has quietly launched a new Galaxy handset that joins its lineup of rugged devices while boasting a 4,050mAh removable battery.

With their fragile bodies covered in glass, many of today’s smartphones break if you so much as cough in their direction. The new XCover Pro, however, isn’t as easy to destroy, thanks to its US military standard MIL-STD-810 certification and IP68 water/dust resistance rating.

Unlike many rugged smartphones, the successor to the Galaxy XCover 4 has many of the design features found in modern handsets. There’s a large 6.3-inch LCD screen with a 20:9 aspect ratio and a punch hole notch in the top left corner.

The XCover Pro’s internals includes a mid-range octa-core Exynos 9611 chipset, 4 GB of RAM, and 64 GB of memory that's expandable through a microSD card. There’s also a rear camera setup consisting of a 25MP and 8MP ultra-wide-angle lens, a 13MP selfie cam, and a capacitive fingerprint reader in the power button.

As this phone is designed for use in hostile environments, it comes with two programmable buttons that control the flashlight or for creating text messages via voice. But the most compelling aspect for many people might be the removable battery—something we rarely see these days.

The Galaxy XCover Pro, which comes with Android 9 Pie but could receive a future Android 10 update, launches in Europe next month for around 500 Euros (about $556). No word on if or when it’ll come to the US.

Permalink to story.

What's the resolution? 1080p?

This thing looks kinda nice. Now just don't have an iris scanner

Poetic makes some nice rugged cases. The only thing is...the screen cover can get a bit warped. I just added a secondary screen protector between the screen and the case protector and so it worked out nicely. One day, I'll look into removing the case protector and rely on the traditional one. After cracking too many phones, I finally found case.

Great. Now if only they could offer their flagship sin variants with these features.

Good to see Samsung is looking at the wider user picture again .... this one could be a winner!

I'll need to buy one of these just as a reminder for all the "*d!ots out there which see the glass as the Second Coming and non-user-replaceable battery as "normal evolution". Normal would have meant by now a three days no-charge uptime. And 3-4k cycles for each battery.
I can only pray that the EU will force the companies to release user-replaceable batteries (as a universal module) which can be used interchangeably between different modules

Back