Samsung mocks Apple's decision to drop charger, suggesting it won't do the same

midian182

Staff member
Why it matters: Following months of rumors that it would do so, Apple confirmed during its recent iPhone 12 event that the handsets would not come with wall chargers or headphones. There’s been speculation that Samsung would copy its rival and ship next year’s Galaxy S21 sans charger, but that’s looking less likely.

It was way back in May when renowned Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo predicted the iPhone 12 series would lack power bricks and EarPods in the box, a theory echoed by British bank Barclays a month later.

Apple confirmed the predictions this week, claiming that the move would reduce e-waste. It says there are already 2 billion Apple power adaptors in the world, and customers have over 700 million Lightning headphones. It added that the move would cut over 2 million metric tons of carbon: the equivalent of 450,000 cars.

Not everyone is happy about the plan: it’s not as if Apple has passed its savings onto the consumer, a lot of current iPhone owners will sell the chargers with their handsets before upgrading, and some people simply don’t own a power brick.

As was the case when Apple removed the headphone jack from the iPhone 7, other manufacturers are expected to follow suit and drop the charger/earphones—a report in July claimed Samsung was considering it. Judging by a recent Facebook post from the Korean company, however, it isn’t getting rid of them just yet.

“Your #Galaxy does give you what you are looking for. From the most basic as a charger, to the best camera, battery, performance, memory and even 120Hz screen,” it reads.

😎😎Your #Galaxy does give you what you are looking for. From the most basic as a charger, to the best camera, battery, performance, memory and even 120Hz screen ✌️ on a smartphone. 😎😎

Posted by Samsung on Tuesday, October 13, 2020

We’ve been here before, of course. Samsung publicly mocked Apple when the latter dropped the 3.5mm jack from its phones, yet it didn’t take long before the legacy port started disappearing from Sammy's lower-end handsets. Eventually, the Galaxy Note 10 became the first Samsung flagship to lack a headphone jack.

Additionally, MySmartPrice writes that a Chinese certification site shows the Samsung Galaxy S21 shipping with a charger, though the fact it’s a 25W fast-charger, the same as the Galaxy S20, is suspicious. Take this with a heavy dose of salt.

It’s likely that the Galaxy S21 will come with a power brick and earphones, but don’t be surprised to see Samsung drop them from cheaper devices before the same happens with its flagships, at which point the Apple mockery will be forgotten.

Permalink to story.

VitalyT

TechSpot Elite
From dropping charger + headphones essentials from their main product, to losing the entire Chinese market, we may be looking at Apple's major downfall into the coming year.

The only thing that interested me was the promised 120Hz screen, which they failed to deliver. They really seem to be dropping the ball now.

Reactions: TempleOrion

QuantumPhysics

I have mixed feelings on this.

Apple packaged a 5W charger with my XS max and every other iPhone I've owned. I have several of them laying around collecting dust. As Apple points out, they've shipped over 2 Billion of them.

Thing is, they charge so ridiculously slow, partly to protect the battery, that I don't want to use them.
I regularly use a 12W Apple adapter (in my bathroom while I'm in the shower) or a 100W GaN charger (next to my bed) or a 2.5A car charger in my cars.

The same goes for the headphones. I've NEVER used apple's earbuds because they don't fit my ears.
I have a pair of Jib+ currently ($25) that I use in the gym and wherever else I want to listen to music.

So now: I have two pieces just sitting in the box collecting dust.

What good is packaging a part that I don't use?

The USBC-to-Lightning cable is basically a way of giving mac users a direct connect to their phone which will charge the phone faster. Anyone who truly needs a high amp charger will just buy one anyway.

VitalyT

TechSpot Elite

Apple packaged a 5W charger with my XS max and every other iPhone I've owned. I have several of them laying around collecting dust. As Apple points out, they've shipped over 2 Billion of them.

Thing is, they charge so ridiculously slow, partly to protect the battery, that I don't want to use them.
I regularly use a 12W Apple adapter (in my bathroom while I'm in the shower) or a 100W GaN charger (next to my bed) or a 2.5A car charger in my cars.

The same goes for the headphones. I've NEVER used apple's earbuds because they don't fit my ears.
I have a pair of Jib+ currently ($25) that I use in the gym and wherever else I want to listen to music.

The USBC-to-Lightning cable is basically a way of giving mac users a direct connect to their phone which will charge the phone faster. Anyone who truly needs a high amp charger will just buy one anyway.
Nobody cares about the obsolete 5W chargers today. What people do care about is that iPhone 11 came with excellent new 18W charger, and now it is gone from iPhone 12 package. Instead, they want you to pay extra $19 to get yourself the updated 20W charger separately. This sucks b##ls.

Apple, you suck!!!!

nismo91

What I'm afraid is that there'll be even more counterfeit apple adapters floating around the market. people like you and me in this forum can instantly recognize even the highest quality fake, but not everyone (especially in region without official apple store) could tell and let's be honest, importers are not going to import as much adapter as the phone itself.

I don't like apple but I don't like those knockoff product even more.

Reactions: Toju Mikie

Burty117

I love how they wanted you to use your old chargers but then provided a cable that doesn't connect to the old chargers.
It's almost like different departments within Apple just don't talk to each other:

Mac's and iPad Pro - USB-C is the port of the future

IPhone's and iPad's - lightning, a connector based on the USB 2.0 standard...

G0DofPaiN

I love how they wanted you to use your old chargers but then provided a cable that doesn't connect to the old chargers.
It's almost like different departments within Apple just don't talk to each other:

Mac's and iPad Pro - USB-C is the port of the future

IPhone's and iPad's - lightning, a connector based on the USB 2.0 standard...
They'll probably sell an adapter for $19.99.

QuantumPhysics

Here's my question: Does Samsung think that simply "a charger" is going to convince the countless scores of people waiting on iPhone pre-order windows to go over to Android/Samsung phones???

There's only one reason I'd ever even consider their phones and it ain't the chargers.

It's a 1TB storage option.

Unfortunately their video recording pales behind iPhone 12 Pro Max so I'd never consider them at all.

Then there's the user interface which I hate beyond hate.

Reactions: LuckyMenace

Theinsanegamer

Hey remember when Samsung said the same thing about the headphone jack then removed the jack 2 years later?

I remember.

The issue isn’t so much the lack of charger, rather it’s the face the phone isn’t any cheaper despite lower material cost, smaller packaging, and apples newfound ability to ship 3x as many per trip thanks to smaller packaging. They are keeping that cash and expecting you to pay more for a charger on top of this

Just like the earbuds this is nothing but a ploy to make more money. If waste was a concern they wouldn’t limit updates to 5 years and would have removable batteries

Pastuch

Here's my question: Does Samsung think that simply "a charger" is going to convince the countless scores of people waiting on iPhone pre-order windows to go over to Android/Samsung phones???

There's only one reason I'd ever even consider their phones and it ain't the chargers.

It's a 1TB storage option.

Unfortunately their video recording pales behind iPhone 12 Pro Max so I'd never consider them at all.

Then there's the user interface which I hate beyond hate.
After two years with an Iphone X, I’m literally aching to go back to android and Samsung. The walled garden is hell! The fact I can’t change default app associations to non-apple apps makes me irritated every f’ing day! I’ve never tried a single apple app that I didn’t hate. The hardware is pretty good but apple doesn’t have a clue how to make software. I hate the dialer on the iphone. My first iphone x had a defective faceid scanner and had to be replaced by apple, they did it quickly in store. I’ve owned 5 Samsungs prior to the Iphone X and none ever had a hardware issue.

pmshah

The problem I faced was that if I used my device and charge it too at the same time the % display would go up by 1, like from 82% to 83& after close to an hour. I gave up on using any crApple device. Now the stupid thing won't boot nor even charge.

p51d007

Yeah right...said the same thing with the earphones, headphone jack and on and on.
They'll drop it.

drjekelmrhyde

If Apple charged less because of the lack of included charger and accessories it would be fine. This whole e-waste thing is PR garbage
Pretty much. People are just going to go out and buy 15 of the $5 gas station ones that die out in 2 months, over the life of the phone

MSIGamer

Apple really is a terrible company. The only reason they do this is so they can sell you an expensive charger separately. Just like you have to buy a bunch of very pricey adapters to be able to use a MacBook like a normal laptop.

Their marketing is disgusting. It's all deception to portray them as saving the environment, while it's the same business strategy they've been using all along. To make you pay more for their products.

They don't care about you or the environment. They only care about making more money, because 2 trillion dollar isn't yet enough. The company is disgusting, especially in this time where everyone else is losing their job.

I'm proud to have never bought an Apple product and I never will in my life.

m3tavision

+ $20 more is not bad, if it is a good quality charger. (Heck, I will take two...)

Are they better quality Chargers than that chinese garbage all over Jeff Bezos's Amazon (anker, etc)...?

Krackan

Samsung should probably stop selling a phone that has different components based on the region before they talk smack about anyone.

PEnnn

"There’s been speculation that Samsung would copy its rival and ship next year’s Galaxy S21 sans charger, but that’s looking less likely."

Yeah, that'll be the first year ever that Samsung didn't copy Apple!

Last time they also mocked Apple for not including an earphone jack, which they did in their phone, and that literally blew up in their faces and that of many of their customers.

mrvco

I have a big zip lock bag full of USB chargers. I've never used the Apple ear buds (but my wife does). However I think the bigger issue for Apple is I'm not really seeing any reason to replace my 2yo XS Max.

duckofdeath

Everybody defending Apple has the same story, "I've got tons of chargers and earphones laying around"... I wonder why they didn't give them to whomever they sold the old phones to, when they got rid of those?

I've owned, maybe, ten Samsung phones, a couple Nokias, a few SonyEricssons and a few other brands the last decade or so. I now have one charger for each phone in my possession, plus one third party spare in the office, because I'm not clinging on to them when I get rid of the old phones.

Yes, it is true that Apple greedily forced their customer base to buy separate chargers for a decade, as they deliberately bundled worthless dittos with their phones. That, they can't defend or pretend never happened by now not bundling anything at all.

Shake

Get rid of the lightening cables, thats what Apple needs to do.
Switch to typeC like the rest of the world

Joray K Joseph

+ $20 more is not bad, if it is a good quality charger. (Heck, I will take two...)

Are they better quality Chargers than that chinese garbage all over Jeff Bezos's Amazon (anker, etc)...?
No the Anker and Ravpower chargers from Amazon are of the highest quality chargers you can buy. Apple charger always start to have issues after a while and being only 5w hurts even more