Samsung releases the cut-down Galaxy Tab S7 FE in the US, starting at $529

jsilva

In brief: Samsung is once again expanding its tablet portfolio with new products. The latest addition is the Galaxy Tab S7 FE, a cut-down S7+ offering everything that defines the flagship tablet at a more reasonable price. Available with or without 5G support, both models include an S-Pen, which might come in handy for various tasks.

Samsung has finally launched the Galaxy Tab S7 FE, or "Fan Edition," in the US, providing customers with a flagship-like tablet with some cut-down specs compared to the S7+ tablet. Both 5G and non-5G models run Android 11, but while the former features an octa-core Snapdragon 750G, the latter comes with a Qualcomm SM7325 chipset.

Like the original S7+, the Fan Edition features a 12.4-inch display with a 2560x1600 resolution, but instead of being OLED, it's LCD. Memory and storage configurations have also been changed, with the S7 FE packing 4GB of RAM and 64GB of local storage, but it can be expanded to 1TB with an SD card. The camera configuration has also been downgraded, with an 8MP on the back and a landscape-oriented 5MP shooter on the front.

The Tab S7 FE models also come with a 10090mAh battery, support for Bluetooth 5.0 and Wi-Fi, stylus support (S-Pen included), a fast-charging USB-C port, a metal unibody, and a dual speaker system with Dolby Atmos support. The 5G model will only be available in black, but the Wi-Fi model can come in black, silver, pink or green.

Samsung also explained that the new tablet will be compatible with the remaining "ecosystem of Galaxy devices," including Galaxy phones and earbuds. Moreover, it announced the Book Cover keyboard to protect your tablet and give you a laptop-like experience, further improved when using Samsung Dex.

"The Galaxy Tab S7 FE offers today's tablet users the flexibility they need to enjoy their favorite content from anywhere, and with an ultra-large display it delivers a premium experience for the smart shopper," said Leroy Williams, SVP of Mobile Business at Samsung America.

The Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 FE 5G in black will launch tomorrow for $669. The non-5G model will be available for pre-order starting tomorrow in black, silver, green, or pink, and will cost $529.

Permalink to story.

Of course right after I bought one!

I do wonder if they have plans to release a Tab S8 this year, given this release at this date.

That's a huge reduction in specs. Only 4GB of RAM, the same as budget $250 smartphones (and that is going to be an issue with samsung's bloated OS)? Downgraded camera, downgraded CPU, downgrade from OLED to LCD, and this thing still costs over $500.

Very meh. Should be a $350-400 tablet IMO. $500 for the LTE varient.

I have the Galaxy tab A10 and it's been great. The screen could be better, so could the speakers but aside from that it's been a great performer at a great price

That's a huge reduction in specs. Only 4GB of RAM, the same as budget $250 smartphones (and that is going to be an issue with samsung's bloated OS)? Downgraded camera, downgraded CPU, downgrade from OLED to LCD, and this thing still costs over $500.

I'm inclined to agree, that's a bit steep. I love my galaxy tab a10 but have been wanting a better one for awhile now. 64gb is okay, but should be 128 and 4gb of ram is just unacceptable at the price point. I would have taken one or the other at that price even though it should have both, but neither is asking a lot.

yup. and maybe doesnt apply to most people but if you frequent slickdeals, and have a student discount (easy to buy a .edu email off ebay) you can get insane deals. I think I got my S7 for like 100 bucks (with trade in of my S6), and the KB for 89. at one point I think the s7+ was on sale for like $300 with no trade in with EDU discount, Really crazy deals.

Once you're in the Samsung ecosystem and have a edu account up and running, just wait LOL. For example I plan to trade in my S7 for the new S8 whenever it comes out, and I bet it wont cost me more than 100-200. Samsung gives crazy trade in value for their own products, and also has crazy good sales if you have an edu account.

529 for this is just dumb, but hopefully in samsung style the steep discounts come sooner than later. even so, 4gb ram kinda puts a cap on how much I'd pay for this.

The only reason to consider an Android-based tablet is greater screen size as an e-reader or video editor using Android-based video editing apps. Otherwise, I already carry a better spec'd Android tablet in my shirt pocket. Now, if Samsung and other manufacturers would wise up and begin to manufacture Chrome OS tablets (happening) which by design also support Android apps as a sidekick, then I will become more seriously interested in the tablet form factor. Google will continuous to update Chrome OS whereas you are at the mercy of an Android tablet manufacture as to whether or not they will update the Android OS they sold with the tablet after the fact of the sale. Chrome tablets can become Android tablets, but Android tablets can't become Chrome tablets.

Back