Samsung rolls out fingerprint security fix for the Galaxy S10 and Note 10

Humza

Staff member
What just happened? Users of the Galaxy S10 and Note 10 can expect to receive a software update anytime now after last week's discovery of a security bug with the phones' fingerprint reader. The update notification will also instruct users to remove any existing fingerprints from their devices and register new ones without any protector on the display.

A critical security flaw discovered last week in the fingerprint readers of the Samsung Galaxy S10 and Note 10 flagships prompted many users to be wary of using silicon screen protectors. The issue also led banks in several countries to disable fingerprint support for the affected devices while some, including NatWest UK, went one step further and took down their apps from the Play Store altogether.

Having to peel off and re-apply the screen protector as part of this process could irk some users, but this minor inconvenience shouldn't get in the way of the devices' security. That is, if they're willing to use non-biometric ways of authentication like a PIN, password or pattern to replace their fingerprints.

Hopefully, banks and other institutions will be quick to reinstate support or restore their apps after removing them from the Play Store for the Galaxy S10 and Note 10, once they're satisfied with Samsung's fix.

Samsung posted a statement on its Korean app saying that it "takes the security of products very seriously and will make sure to strengthen security through continuing improvement and updates to enhance biometric authentication functions."

Permalink to story.

My initial thought was “people still use screen protectors?” But then I realised these Samsung phones have a screen that wraps round the edge of the phone for purely aesthetic reasons that prevent the display from being protected just by using a case that rises higher than the screen. So yeah I can understand why these people would buy a screen protector.

Samsung posted a statement on its Korean app saying that it "takes the security of products very seriously and will make sure to strengthen security through continuing improvement and updates to enhance biometric authentication functions."

That should read "Samsung takes the security of products very seriously once someone points out they did a crappy job of securing them in the first place. Samsung will do its utmost to convince the public that it cares about their security while in reality attempting to maintain their bottom line."

That should read "Samsung takes the security of products very seriously once someone points out they did a crappy job of securing them in the first place. Samsung will do its utmost to convince the public that it cares about their security while in reality attempting to maintain their bottom line."

True but not limited to Samsung, this applies to every company out there.

I'm just shocked you can use your face to verify purchases when almost everybody says fingerprint sensors are more secure and reliable.

My initial thought was “people still use screen protectors?” But then I realised these Samsung phones have a screen that wraps round the edge of the phone for purely aesthetic reasons that prevent the display from being protected just by using a case that rises higher than the screen. So yeah I can understand why these people would buy a screen protector.
Screen protectors dont usually work for edge screens anyway. Impacts can still crack their delicate screens. It really only prevents scratches... which is important, but a less of an issue.

These new edge screens suck, terribly. I don't understand why anyone wants them. Not only are they delicate but you have to hold your phone a certain way to avoid undesired touch input on the sides. But then again, one could just say "you're holding it wrong".

Screen protectors dont usually work for edge screens anyway. Impacts can still crack their delicate screens. It really only prevents scratches... which is important, but a less of an issue.

These new edge screens suck, terribly. I don't understand why anyone wants them. Not only are they delicate but you have to hold your phone a certain way to avoid undesired touch input on the sides. But then again, one could just say "you're holding it wrong".
YOU have no idea what you are talking about. I have a S10+, and the wrapped screens look ten times better than flat phones. Also, I do NOT have accidental touches, as anyone with a functioning brain would employ the app functions to stop accidental touches on the very edges, which I do. I also had an S5 and a S7 Edge, and have NEVER had a broken screen. And I haven't used screen protectors since my S5. They are not nearly as delicate as you have indicated here, and you do NOT have to hold them a certain way. My phones have been dropped on concrete several times, and I've never so much as gotten a noticeable scratch on them. And I only use minimal cases. Also, I've sat down next to family and friends with CRapple iphones, and beat them in every function every single time. My phone looks better, is faster, a thousand times more customizable and the battery lasts for a day and a half regularly, with moderately heavy use on full brightness. BTW, that brightness is about 2.5 times brighter than those dull displays on the CRapple devices...

YOU have no idea what you are talking about. I have a S10+, and the wrapped screens look ten times better than flat phones. Also, I do NOT have accidental touches, as anyone with a functioning brain would employ the app functions to stop accidental touches on the very edges, which I do. I also had an S5 and a S7 Edge, and have NEVER had a broken screen. And I haven't used screen protectors since my S5. They are not nearly as delicate as you have indicated here, and you do NOT have to hold them a certain way. My phones have been dropped on concrete several times, and I've never so much as gotten a noticeable scratch on them. And I only use minimal cases. Also, I've sat down next to family and friends with CRapple iphones, and beat them in every function every single time. My phone looks better, is faster, a thousand times more customizable and the battery lasts for a day and a half regularly, with moderately heavy use on full brightness. BTW, that brightness is about 2.5 times brighter than those dull displays on the CRapple devices...
Ok.

You start off with an opinion. Not relevant.

Next you talk about "employ the app functions to stop accidental touches". Can you explain more about this? Is this a case of "there's an app for that"?

Then you go on to say you've had two different phones and never had a broken screen and that you've dropped them on concrete. Good for you, that doesn't apply to everyone and largely depends on how protective a case you use - if any. A lot of people don't like to use a case.

Then you compare it to iPhone, which I don't see why that has anything to do with edge screens.

Then you talk about battery life, again how is this relevant to the durability of edge screens?

What are you talking about? So you've had better luck perhaps. And perhaps the newer ones are better made and less likely to break now. Regardless, having glass around the edges of a phone makes it more likely to get damaged compared to a phone that doesn't have the screen wrapped around the edges. This is simple physics.

Ok.

You start off with an opinion. Not relevant.

Next you talk about "employ the app functions to stop accidental touches". Can you explain more about this? Is this a case of "there's an app for that"?

Then you go on to say you've had two different phones and never had a broken screen and that you've dropped them on concrete. Good for you, that doesn't apply to everyone and largely depends on how protective a case you use - if any. A lot of people don't like to use a case.

Then you compare it to iPhone, which I don't see why that has anything to do with edge screens.

Then you talk about battery life, again how is this relevant to the durability of edge screens?

What are you talking about? So you've had better luck perhaps. And perhaps the newer ones are better made and less likely to break now. Regardless, having glass around the edges of a phone makes it more likely to get damaged compared to a phone that doesn't have the screen wrapped around the edges. This is simple physics.
YOU also started off with an opinion!!! "These new edge screens suck, terribly. I don't understand why anyone wants them. Not only are they delicate but you have to hold your phone a certain way to avoid undesired touch input on the sides."
Why would you call my opinion irrelevant, when you do the same thing?
Then I went on to say I've had THREE of these phones, and that they've all stood up to the drops, in MINIMAL cases, because the screens aren't nearly as "delicate" as you presume them to be.
I gave the info on the excellent battery life and screens, also comparing them with the iphone to answer your question of why anyone would want them. How hard is that to understand???? And I would argue you should go back and check your simple physics. Looking up the stats on screen replacements of the S6, S7, S8 and S9 haven't shown any increase over previous models, without the curved glass edges. This isn't rocket science...

So, the mod deletes my entire response, and leaves his erroneous response???
Your response was simply your opinion.... and therefore irrelevant here... be thankful your first one wasn't deleted as well...

Edit: I see your reply wasn't deleted... guess it just was in limbo for awhile :)

Your response was simply your opinion.... and therefore irrelevant here... be thankful your first one wasn't deleted as well...

Edit: I see your reply wasn't deleted... guess it just was in limbo for awhile :)
Everybody's response is opinion. But I don't see any other "opinions" being deleted. And of the list of things I'm thankful for, having a response on this forum doesn't even make the thought process of the MOST irrelevant things in my mind. But as a topic you started, since when is opinion irrelevant???? Over 95% of what I've read on this forum is opinion. If you are saying that free speech is NOT allowed here, then I have ZERO respect for this publication and will NOT pay it any attention any longer...

Everybody's response is opinion. But I don't see any other "opinions" being deleted. And of the list of things I'm thankful for, having a response on this forum doesn't even make the thought process of the MOST irrelevant things in my mind. But as a topic you started, since when is opinion irrelevant???? Over 95% of what I've read on this forum is opinion. If you are saying that free speech is NOT allowed here, then I have ZERO respect for this publication and will NOT pay it any attention any longer...
Well, as it turns out, your post WASN'T deleted... and there is nothing wrong with opinions... BUT... they aren't relevant when talking about the characteristics of a specific item that sells in the thousands (or tens of thousands, or hundreds of thousands, etc). With such a large number of devices, there are bound to be individual cases of excellence, "awfulness" and everything in-between. Unless your opinion is backed up by empirical evidence, it is therefore irrelevant.

Here's an example: there were many millions of iPhone 11s sold. There will inevitably be people who own them on this forum. Some will say that it is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Others will say it is terrible and they returned it for an Android device... These opinions are IRRELEVANT, however, as they will represent less than .1 % of people who have one and therefore be statistically insignificant. If, on the other hand, someone posts that their iPhone is terrible because the WiFi drops out every 30 seconds and gives a link to a site showing that 100,000+ people have the same issue - this becomes RELEVANT.

In conclusion, feel free to voice opinions, but if you want to be taken seriously, feel free to back your opinions up with evidence...

Your post was deleted for ad hominem/personal comments not for your strawman reasons and you were notified of the reason.

YOU also started off with an opinion!!! "These new edge screens suck, terribly. I don't understand why anyone wants them. Not only are they delicate but you have to hold your phone a certain way to avoid undesired touch input on the sides."
Why would you call my opinion irrelevant, when you do the same thing?
Then I went on to say I've had THREE of these phones, and that they've all stood up to the drops, in MINIMAL cases, because the screens aren't nearly as "delicate" as you presume them to be.
I gave the info on the excellent battery life and screens, also comparing them with the iphone to answer your question of why anyone would want them. How hard is that to understand???? And I would argue you should go back and check your simple physics. Looking up the stats on screen replacements of the S6, S7, S8 and S9 haven't shown any increase over previous models, without the curved glass edges. This isn't rocket science...
Typically when you wish to counter an opinion, you counter it with facts; which you did not. Your experiences are facts to you but not to anyone else. Not that your experience is irrelevant, it most certainly is relevant but it isn't a good method of trying to prove somebody wrong. You did explain your experience has not been any where near as negative as my perception, which I believe and thus you have altered my opinion some. However we both have our opinions on the tech and I honestly don't think either of us are going to change each others future purchase decisions.

On a serious note though could you please explain what you were referring to with "employing app functions to prevent accidental touches"? I'm curious, because I do have an Nokia 5.1 with the screen that very nearly goes to the edge. It's not even a full on edge screen and I am constantly registering touches on the sides when I don't intend to. I also have an iPhone SE, which doesn't have that edge screen which I much prefer.

I will agree phones with the screen to the edge look better, but I'm a function over form kind of person and am not willing to make that sacrifice for the sake of my phone being pretty.

Back