Samsung rumored to use 1080p/60Hz display in Galaxy Note 20

midian182

Staff member
Rumor mill: We’re not far away from Samsung’s online-only Unpacked event, where the company will reveal the Galaxy Note 20. Leaks and rumors about the next flagship handset are hitting the internet, though this one won’t please fans of the long-running series: the standard version of the next Note will have the same 1080p/60Hz display as its predecessor.

With Samsung’s recent Galaxy S20 phones all boasting an excellent 120Hz refresh rate, and even the cheapest option offering a 1440 x 3200 screen, it was expected that the Galaxy Note 20 would go down the same route by featuring a high refresh rate screen on both models. But not according to reliable leaker Ice Universe.

If the claim is to be believed, the standard version of the Note 20 will retain the same 1080 x 2280 (FHD+) resolution and 60Hz refresh rate as the Note 10, something Ice Universe describes as a “desperate specification.”

While keeping a 1080p resolution is possible and unlikely to put people off buying the cheaper, smaller version of the Note 20, it would be surprising to see Samsung forgo a 120Hz screen in favor of a 60Hz panel. High refresh rates are becoming the standard in flagships, and many who use these handsets say the smoothness makes it difficult to return to 60Hz displays. But with a recession looming and phone sales down, maybe the company wants to keep the Note 20 price as low as possible.

No matter what the Galaxy Note 20’s specs, we can expect the Plus model to come with a 120Hz refresh rate and a higher resolution, but it’ll be more expensive, of course. There are also rumors that the phones will adopt a flatter screen, rather than the usual curved design seen in previous Notes.

Samsung's Unpacked event takes place on August 5, where it’s expected to reveal the Galaxy Fold 2 and new Z Flip devices alongside the Note 20.

Permalink to story.

Can't wait until the freaking curved screens and the glass back go to repair hell and never return. All the *****ic journos are desperate for glass and metal, irreparable gadgets. But the rest of us, the normal people, the people working on the phones and not using them for show off, plastic back, IR blaster, user replaceable batteries and long update cycles are really what we need.
If you want to show off, get a freaking car. I want a good device which serves its purpose and doesn't break down because of an accidental drop.

LOL when my phone arrived, it defaulted to 90hz. I switched it to 60.
I then showed my coworkers my 90hz phone display. They were amazed
how well it worked, how smooth, without stuttering. Then I switched it to
90hz and told them it was now on 60hz. A couple couldn't tell the difference
but a couple tech types said they could see a stutter. LOL.

Marketing is a lot of these more is better stuff.

Can't wait until the freaking curved screens and the glass back go to repair hell and never return. All the *****ic journos are desperate for glass and metal, irreparable gadgets. But the rest of us, the normal people, the people working on the phones and not using them for show off, plastic back, IR blaster, user replaceable batteries and long update cycles are really what we need.
If you want to show off, get a freaking car. I want a good device which serves its purpose and doesn't break down because of an accidental drop.
EXACTLY! Plastic back because 99.9% area going to slap it into a rubber or plastic protective case anyway, making the colorful & stylish back glass, void of the stylish garbage.

I simply can't get over the giant dead pixel known as the infinity camera over my image, idk how people can do it, I simply can't.

How about a 3.5mm socket, IR laster, flat display, front-facing stereo speakers, a nice polycarbonate replaceable back, an easily replaceable battery, and some damn hardware buttons (two-stage camera button and a programmable hotkey).

I don't want or need a tool to be a piece of art and most tech reviewers can get lost with their attitude that it should be.

Batteries in high end phones last forever though.

How about a 3.5mm socket, IR laster, flat display, front-facing stereo speakers, a nice polycarbonate replaceable back, an easily replaceable battery, and some damn hardware buttons (two-stage camera button and a programmable hotkey).

I don't want or need a tool to be a piece of art and most tech reviewers can get lost with their attitude that it should be.
I love you man :) this is EXACTLY what I've been saying for freaking years. I HATE the journos and their elitist "WE KNOW BETTER" attitude. The journos are one of the main reasons we got to this "curved glass front and back" situation...
As it happened with LG, when they tried to add in the notch, most of thenormal average Joes out there know they don't need that *****ic "revolutionary" stuff. What we need is polycarbonate back, IR blaster, user replaceable battery and water resistance. I really couldn't possibly care less of the look since the phone is just a working device, not a show-off.
If you need a phone to show off, you're poor. Case settled :))
I'd pay a grand for a phone with IR blaster, good camera, user replaceable battery and plastic back. And fire the shills which sing the Apple/Samsung song of "curved", "glass", "premium back".

Back