Samsung showcases heatpipe-cooled Galaxy S7 family with f/1.7 aperture cameras, IP68 rating and more

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Samsung on Sunday announced two new additions to its Galaxy family of mobile devices, the Samsung Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge.

The Samsung Galaxy S7 features a 5.1-inch Quad HD Super AMOLED display (2,560 x 1,440 / 577 PPI) with an always-on feature that's powered by a quad-core SoC (two cores operating at 2.15GHz and two operating at 1.6GHz) alongside 4GB of RAM. FYI, international markets will get an octa-core chip (four cores operating at 2.3GHz and four cores clocked at 1.6GHz).

Both chips are built on a 14-nanometer manufacturing process, Samsung said, and utilize an internal heatpipe cooling system to ensure overheating won't be an issue.

The Galaxy S7 edge, meanwhile, packs a larger 5.5-inch Quad HD Super AMOLED Edge display (2,560 x 1,440 / 534 PPI) that's powered by the same SoC and 4GB of RAM. Both handsets come with a 12-megapixel Dual Pixel rear-facing camera with f/1.7 aperture lens and optical image stabilization as well as a 5-megapixel selfie camera, also with an f/1.7 aperture lens for improved performance in low light situations.

Samsung says the CPU in its new smartphones is 30 percent faster than what's found in the Galaxy S6 and the GPU is about 60 percent faster.

The two smartphones will be offered in your choice of 32GB or 64GB of local storage that's expandable via microSD card slot unlike its predecessors. Both phones feature LTE Category 9, wireless charging that's compatible with WPC and PMA, NFC, MST, 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac dual-band Wi-Fi, MIMO, Bluetooth 4.2 LE, ANT+, USB 2.0 and a variety of embedded sensors.

They also come IP68 rated for liquid and dust resistance meaning the devices can be submerged in a meter and a half of water for up to 30 minutes without incurring damage.

The smaller Galaxy S7 packs a 3,000mAh battery while the larger edge is powered by a 3,600mAh. Neither is removable but it's still an improvement over the devices they replace without a change in their footprint.

Both handsets will ship with Android 6.0 Marshmallow as we saw them in action on the demo floor already running the OS smoothly with the usual Samsung skin.

The Galaxy S7 and S7 edge will be available starting mid-March. Pricing hasn't yet been announced although the company did say that anyone who orders a new Galaxy phone will receive a Gear VR as a free gift. AT&T will begin accepting pre-orders for both phones on February 23 with devices landing in stores March 11.

Permalink to story.

They're both beauties and look a helluva lot more elegant and classy than the LG G5 I looked at earlier on and I'm really feeling that chrome colored job. If I ever bought one it would seem like a pity to shove it into a case but I would do it anyway. As for the other gumph they're aiming to shove down our throats like the VR capabilities and 360 camera? Meh! That tech is still tech in it's infancy and has a long way to go still so I won't fall for it, not for a long while yet.

Looks like S6 as expected. Small bump in specs as expected. It's a good phone but nothing groundbreaking.

If they are going to continue producing Gear VR (or equivalent), they need to standardize the cellphone dimensions.

Once again, faster & faster processors, now to keep them cool, heat pipes? At least the battery is above 3,000mAH, but, is this what is "needed" for smartphones? Granted, faster is better if you are running cutting edge 3D games, calculating the theory of relativity, solving Pi, but seriously, come on manufacturers...you know good and well people are playing silly games like candy crush, facebook, instagram, twitter, youtube etc. Not only that, running them ONE at a time. But, as long as these companies keep releasing OVERPRICED flagships each year with faster and faster processors, and, people keep buying them, I guess they'll keep doing it.

If they are going to continue producing Gear VR (or equivalent), they need to standardize the cellphone dimensions.

What they should do, is make the VR wireless. Instead of having to place your phone on it, wirelessly or bluetooth, or cable it. Then the phone could be any size.

MicroSD is back!
I can't believe nobody else has mentioned that yet. That's gotta be the biggest and best thing about it.

MicroSD is back!
I can't believe nobody else has mentioned that yet. That's gotta be the biggest and best thing about it.
Yes, but the battery is still nonremovable. They have a kind of syndrome, it seems.

Can't give you everything you want in one go, otherwise why would you buy an S8? Besides, the entire planet isn't a landfill site yet, still room for a few more phones.

Once again, faster & faster processors, now to keep them cool, heat pipes? At least the battery is above 3,000mAH, but, is this what is "needed" for smartphones? Granted, faster is better if you are running cutting edge 3D games, calculating the theory of relativity, solving Pi, but seriously, come on manufacturers...you know good and well people are playing silly games like candy crush, facebook, instagram, twitter, youtube etc. Not only that, running them ONE at a time. But, as long as these companies keep releasing OVERPRICED flagships each year with faster and faster processors, and, people keep buying them, I guess they'll keep doing it.
And your point is?

Personally I think this specification race has gone totally haywire. It's a phone for crying out loud...

Yes I too have a smartphone, and would never go back to a featurephone. But geez, octacores, 4 Gb RAM, Quad-HD in a 5 inch display. At premium price.

My phone is a Huawei G620S. Quadcore 1.3 Ghz, 1 Gb Ram, 720p 5" display. Cost: 999 Danish Kroner (about 148 USD) without carrier lock or subscription.

It does anything and everything I throw at it. And best of all - battery last 3 days between recharges.

How about that for a challenge, Samsung?

They're both beauties and look a helluva lot more elegant and classy than the LG G5 I looked at earlier on and I'm really feeling that chrome colored job. If I ever bought one it would seem like a pity to shove it into a case but I would do it anyway. As for the other gumph they're aiming to shove down our throats like the VR capabilities and 360 camera? Meh! That tech is still tech in it's infancy and has a long way to go still so I won't fall for it, not for a long while yet.

Yeah looking at the quality of the 360 camera it was average at best. However it's an interesting and useful concept, a good kickstart in the right direction to be honest.

I think within the next decade our media experiences will change when VR/AR gets cheaper and more advanced.

Still a gimmick but everything is a gimmick when it's first in consumer production.

Personally I think this specification race has gone totally haywire. It's a phone for crying out loud...

Yes I too have a smartphone, and would never go back to a featurephone. But geez, octacores, 4 Gb RAM, Quad-HD in a 5 inch display. At premium price.

My phone is a Huawei G620S. Quadcore 1.3 Ghz, 1 Gb Ram, 720p 5" display. Cost: 999 Danish Kroner (about 148 USD) without carrier lock or subscription.

It does anything and everything I throw at it. And best of all - battery last 3 days between recharges.

This.

Storage, Battery and Durability are probably the most important aspects they should focus on.

My S4 still runs smoothly and gaming? Well if I want gaming il jump on a Console or a PC... Other than reading the web, watching movies, streaming music and or writing a document the power of these phones is just not being fully utilized.

Why not just make sure everything is smooth and cap it there? Then throw in top end camera possible. Who needs the damn Octocores and 4GB ram?

Waiting for S8 or S9 with removable battery and faster CPU/GPU.

Is that how you shop for tech ... does something new come out and you sit waiting each year for a new model that offers higher spec and in you case tech that doesn't yet exist.

You mention a faster CPU/GPU this contains snapdragons fastest current CPU/GPU combo with the 830 still a year away from release ...

Also pretty moot point as already mentioned about the battery. I would much rather have my 20,000mAh external battery that can charge anything and everything over usb multiple times over than just having a spare 3000mAh battery that can be used in one device giving a single full charge ...

This.

Storage, Battery and Durability are probably the most important aspects they should focus on.

My S4 still runs smoothly and gaming? Well if I want gaming il jump on a Console or a PC... Other than reading the web, watching movies, streaming music and or writing a document the power of these phones is just not being fully utilized.

Why not just make sure everything is smooth and cap it there? Then throw in top end camera possible. Who needs the damn Octocores and 4GB ram?
Heh, I'm still running on a S3. Paired with a monstrous 3rd-party battery (4600MaH instead of the stock 2100MaH one) and a custom ROM (Android 5.1.1 :) ) It's keeping up surprisingly well with recent software.

Regarding RAM though, that is the one thing I'd upgrade if I could, it is having an impact on multi-tasking performance of late. Though I somewhat mitigated that by enabling ZRAM (compressed memory).

If I could buy the phone again, but with 2-3GB+ RAM instead of 1GB I would do so happily.

Yeah looking at the quality of the 360 camera it was average at best. However it's an interesting and useful concept, a good kickstart in the right direction to be honest.

I think within the next decade our media experiences will change when VR/AR gets cheaper and more advanced.

Still a gimmick but everything is a gimmick when it's first in consumer production.
I couldn't agree more.

This.

Its true.
While there is no doubt the newer phones are faster, how much of that factors into real world performance?
I loved my S4, did everything I wanted very quickly, accidentally broke it (dropped it in my garage from a ladder on a concrete floor) so after using my Droid 4 a while I bought a NIB S5 for $200 shipped.
I have the 8 Core in my 10.5" Galaxy Tab S and the SnapDragon 801 in my phone feels just as quick.

I got a little over protective in another article with a guy saying his LGV10 was WAY better then his S4, and I ended up sounding like an @ss, but I stand by my opinion.

Back