Samsung starts mass production of transparent LCD panels

Jos

Staff

We've seen a number of cool display technology prototypes pop up at trade shows in the last couple of years, including curved, flexible and transparent screens by all the usual suspects. Today Samsung is not only showing off one of such innovations but also announcing it has actually begun mass production of a 22-inch transparent LCD panel.

Samsung’s new transparent displays will be available in two models: a black and white and a color version, both featuring a contrast ratio of 500:1 and resolution of 1680 x 1050 (WSXGA). The black and white model has the highest transparency rate at over 20% and the color model boasts a transparency rate of over 15% according to Samsung. Basically you can look through the panels like glass, and since they rely on ambient light instead of the usual back lighting, the transparent panels consume 90% less electricity than conventional LCD panels.

The company is touting the new panels' potential as advertising tools, which can be applied to show windows and outdoor billboards or used in showcase events. It also says corporations and schools could put the panels to use as an interactive communication device that enables information to be displayed more effectively.

There's no mention of pricing or worldwide availability in the press release. The applications for home and office users seem limited, though, so we assume it will still be a while before transparent panels make it onto our desktops.

Permalink to story.

I honestly don't think I'd ever want a transparent display for anything more than the novelty factor. I'd much rather work, game, and watch videos on a full, bright, and opaque display.

Not a key logger, but a small web cam on the top that will monitor how people "use and view" the panel :)

Yes I would only have one for the novelty.

But for comercial use it might be a really good thing. Window adds in Stores from supermarkets to shoes stores could benefit. It also will open up the door for more interactive displays, and maybe even work for motiongraphic artists in store window displays.

90% less energy is also interesting. If it is cheap people might find all kinds of use for it.

I imagine a day when somehow... someway... our phones will look like transparent lcd screens... just like in the movies. hahaha

Next step: Transparent touchscreens they can lay out in serial on glass, then you have your sci-fi wall/desk interface

Last time I checked a regular display only monitor does not take user inputs that are relayed to the computer, so no the hardware itself would not. The Software CD that'll likely come with it however... no bets on that. XD

I really hope this doesn't become something akin to the "can it play crysis?" text macro, and if it does I hate you all. :(

If it werent for that 500:1 contrast ratio... I would be uberly impressed.

That aside, I'm impressed.

I want one built into my fish tank, and I'll run a screen saver on it of a better fish tank! Yeah!

kibaruk said:
If it werent for that 500:1 contrast ratio... I would be uberly impressed.

That aside, I'm impressed.

Just a thought, how much contrast can you expect something to have that is transparent?

Yeah it turned out the key logger story was bogus. No way would al big company risk getting sued and fined millions for something that stupid.

Back