Samsung unveils large-screen Galaxy A9 smartphone

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Samsung has announced a new smartphone targeting those who love large screens and big batteries.

Unveiled at Samsung's Galaxy A Party 2016 event in China, the Galaxy A9 features a 6-inch, 1080p Super AMOLED display (367 PPI) with 2.5D curved glass. That big display is powered by Qualcomm's octa-core Snapdragon 652 chip (four Cortex A72 cores clocked at 1.8GHz and four Cortex A53 cores running at 1.2 GHz) alongside Adreno 510 graphics and 3GB of RAM.

There's 32GB of local storage (expandable up to 128GB via microSD card slot), a 13-megapixel rear camera with f/1.9 aperture, OIS and LED flash, a front-facing 8-megapixel shooter (also f/1.9 aperture), a fingerprint sensor and dual nano SIM card slots.

Connectivity-wise, the phone features 802.11 a/b/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.1, NFC and ANT+ and can connect to 4G LTE wireless networks. It'll ship running Android 5.1.1 Lollipop and packs a massive 4,000mAh battery that utilizes QuickCharge technology for speedy recharges. It's not as large as the colossal 10,000mAh battery inside the Oukitel K10000 but it's not nearly as chunky either.

The phone measures 161.7 x 80.9 x 7.4mm and tips the scale at 200 grams.

No word yet on exactly when it'll go on sale (aside from "later this month") but we do know it'll show up first in China. Samsung is currently mum on pricing as well.

Permalink to story.

Now if they can fit that battery in a phone with a 5 or 5,2 inch screen and specs like an S6 and sell it in Africa then I might go Samsung again.

Now if they can fit that battery in a phone with a 5 or 5,2 inch screen and specs like an S6 and sell it in Africa then I might go Samsung again.
And where have you seen such a high capacity batteries in such small phones?

Unfortunately I haven't,the biggest battery in an S6 is 3500mah which is in the s6 active,which didn't come to SA.

I prefer a phone with decent specs to at least last two days,which is why I replaced my s4 with a Z3 and not a Z5 and I can't complain so far.
I took my phone off the charger Monday night at 00h00 and so far I've only used 63%,It would have been higher but I have had a few calls and text messages and a little browsing.

Unfortunately I haven't,the biggest battery in an S6 is 3500mah which is in the s6 active,which didn't come to SA.

I prefer a phone with decent specs to at least last two days,which is why I replaced my s4 with a Z3 and not a Z5 and I can't complain so far.
I took my phone off the charger Monday night at 00h00 and so far I've only used 63%,It would have been higher but I have had a few calls and text messages and a little browsing.
That sounds a lot like my A5. A full battery charge lasts me almost 5 days. Obviously you can tell from that I'm not a power... er, I mean heavy user at all.
No. The S6 active wasn't brought to SA by the wireless carriers but it was, and should still be easily sourced online. Look at British based Orange.com. I think I saw it listed there if I'm not mistaken. They're the people I buy my mobile devices from.

Just checked and I don't see S6 active listed.
Which is fine now,all ready have the Z3,which leaves the phone manufacturers 2 years to improve battery life.

And where have you seen such a high capacity batteries in such small phones?

siemens-c1.jpg

I absolutely love my S6 Active. Actually went from an S6 Edge to the active due to the increased battery capacity and water resistance.

Haven't looked back since, the battery life alone is fantastic.

Back