Samsung unveils second-gen Chromebook Plus V2 with Intel processor

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Why it matters: Chromebooks continue to encroach on turf once owned by budget Windows laptops and later, Android tablets. Samsung's latest is yet another option for those seeking a "premium" Chromebook experience.

Samsung on Thursday announced a refreshed version of its Chromebook Plus convertible that’s sure to attract some attention.

Tipping the scales at 2.91 pounds, the new Samsung Chromebook Plus V2 features a 12.2-inch FHD (1,920 x 1,080 resolution) display that effortlessly flips back to transform the system from notebook to tablet to sketchbook (yes, a stylus is included).

New for 2018 is an Intel Celeron 3965Y, replacing the ARM processor Samsung previously used. It works in conjunction with Intel HD Graphics 615 alongside 4GB of RAM and 32GB of local storage. There’s also a 13-megapixel, f/1.9 aperture camera on the keyboard dock (the rear-facing camera) that complements the 1-megapixel shooter centered above the display (deemed the front-facing lens).

Battery life wasn’t mentioned in Samsung’s press release although in CNET’s streaming video test, the system ran for nine hours and 33 minutes with the display set at 50 percent brightness.

Other noteworthy features include two USB Type-C connectors, one USB 3.0 port, a microSD card reader, a 3.5mm headphone jack and dual 1.5W stereo speakers.

The Samsung Chromebook Plus V2 will be available to purchase from Best Buy (both online and in stores) from June 24 starting at $499.99.

Permalink to story.

I just bought a new Dell computer for $500, it's an i5 8250u with 1tb of hdd and 8gb of ram, full hd resolution although not little at it's 15,4" I wouldn't even look twice for something like they are offering.

I just bought a new Dell computer for $500, it's an i5 8250u with 1tb of hdd and 8gb of ram, full hd resolution although not little at it's 15,4" I wouldn't even look twice for something like they are offering.
Got a proper desktop for my proper PC needs but something similar to this can be pretty nifty for media consumption.

Got a proper desktop for my proper PC needs but something similar to this can be pretty nifty for media consumption.
Spending $500 on a "laptop" that is not quite there for media consumption sounds a bit expensive.
If it's media consumption you are after, you can always get a tablet (And even a high end one and you'll still save money), if you want something to connect to a tv, get a streamer machine (Steamlink works amazingly btw).

Spending $500 on a "laptop" that is not quite there for media consumption sounds a bit expensive.
If it's media consumption you are after, you can always get a tablet (And even a high end one and you'll still save money), if you want something to connect to a tv, get a streamer machine (Steamlink works amazingly btw).
Got one, it's the Pixel C but considering Google has abandoned it I know it's coming to EoL in a year or so. I have LineageOS but the hardware is starting to show some flaws (major slowdown when the battery gets a little low for example).

Back