Samsung video attempts to show the durability of the Galaxy Z Flip 3 and Z Fold 3

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? We’re coming up to two months since the Galaxy Z Flip 3 and Z Fold 3 arrived, so it might seem a bit strange that Samsung has chosen now to release a durability test video putting the devices through their paces. In all likelihood, it's related to reports of cracks appearing in the Z Flip 3 that seemingly have no cause.

The video, posted on Samsung’s website, shows the phones being put through four durability tests: environmental chamber, water resistance, S Pen usability, and folding test. The first of these is to ensure the handsets still work in a variety of climates. Water resistance is self-explanatory. The S-Pen test is to check the performance of the digitizer under the display, and the final test is to confirm they really can endure the claimed 200,000 folds—or around five years of use if folded and unfolded 100 times per day.

The video lasts just over a minute, so it’s not exactly an in-depth look at the phones’ durability in the same way JerryRigEverything pulls them apart. That particular YouTube channel has already put both the Galaxy Z Flip 3 and Galaxy Z Fold 3 through a series of tests, and both did pretty well, showing that while they are more delicate than your standard flagship, they’re likely the toughest foldable phones to date.

There have, however, been reports of the Z Flip 3’s screen cracking for no apparent reason. 9To5Google writes that it happened to their review unit after a few days of no use. And some Redditors are reporting similar issues with their devices.

If you own a Galaxy Z Flip 3, it’s advisable to be extra careful with the phone. We now know that Samsung will make sure that any warranty claims aren’t false by checking all acceleration-based free-fall events, which engineers can access when assessing a claim.

Permalink to story.

This news is sort of interesting because it tells me something: the people who can just afford a 1800 USD phone have one. It's still not the level of sales Samsung wants and I can almost guarantee that they did several focus groups and found out that out of the overwhelming majority that just can't afford the damn thing, there might be a few that potentially *could* but not once every 6 months which is how many users get to keep their phones realistically: people just drop them or lose them A LOT and I'm sure there's significant overlap of people that could buy a 1800 usd phone once every 2 or 3 years but not one per year which is the rate at which they need new equipment.

This news is sort of interesting because it tells me something: the people who can just afford a 1800 USD phone have one. It's still not the level of sales Samsung wants and I can almost guarantee that they did several focus groups and found out that out of the overwhelming majority that just can't afford the damn thing, there might be a few that potentially *could* but not once every 6 months which is how many users get to keep their phones realistically: people just drop them or lose them A LOT and I'm sure there's significant overlap of people that could buy a 1800 usd phone once every 2 or 3 years but not one per year which is the rate at which they need new equipment.
I bought a fold3, traded in my s9+ and just paid off the diff, I was the first person to buy one in that store and when I asked for it the saleperson legit seemed surprised.

yes, its silly expensive but its ALSO probably the coolest/nicest new piece of tech ive bought in years, its not just the usual bump in power that most tech is sold on. plus its my phone, its always on me and I plan on keeping it 3yrs like my old s9, and it opens into a tablet, whats not to love about it.

for me I bought it because it truly feels like an upgrade over what I had because it really does things different and better, it isnt iphone12 to iphone13(not harping on iphone btw) if it didnt exist I'd still be using my old phone but sometimes you see something and just gotta have it, which is very rare in the tech world these days.

I bought a fold3, traded in my s9+ and just paid off the diff, I was the first person to buy one in that store and when I asked for it the saleperson legit seemed surprised.

yes, its silly expensive but its ALSO probably the coolest/nicest new piece of tech ive bought in years, its not just the usual bump in power that most tech is sold on. plus its my phone, its always on me and I plan on keeping it 3yrs like my old s9, and it opens into a tablet, whats not to love about it.

for me I bought it because it truly feels like an upgrade over what I had because it really does things different and better, it isnt iphone12 to iphone13(not harping on iphone btw) if it didnt exist I'd still be using my old phone but sometimes you see something and just gotta have it, which is very rare in the tech world these days.

Absolutely and for the record I'd love to get my hands on a Fold 3 myself: I would be able to basically fully replace the need I have for a tablet which is mostly used for more comfortable reading when I'm going to so for a while (Reading books, websites, etc.) but day-to-day I almost never use the tablet if I'm either at one of my computers (I have a personal desktop and a work laptop) or out and about in which case I just need quick stuff on my phone.

I just don't think I'd be able to justify the price tag right now: I'll have to settle for 2 separate devices and the inherent inconveniences of that.

Two more generations and I'd consider the Fold 3 as it would make a decent sized tablet and that's one less device I'd have to buy. Still need to keep improving that durability though.

Absolutely and for the record I'd love to get my hands on a Fold 3 myself: I would be able to basically fully replace the need I have for a tablet which is mostly used for more comfortable reading when I'm going to so for a while (Reading books, websites, etc.) but day-to-day I almost never use the tablet if I'm either at one of my computers (I have a personal desktop and a work laptop) or out and about in which case I just need quick stuff on my phone.

I just don't think I'd be able to justify the price tag right now: I'll have to settle for 2 separate devices and the inherent inconveniences of that.
What you've described as the main reason I finally picked up the fold 3 as my first foldable. In my everyday work I don't have much of a need for a table sized screen but when I travel or I'm doing something IT related having the larger screen is super beneficial. In the past I've had a note as my phone and I've had a tablet that I've used from time to time usually like one of the seven or eight inchers which are getting harder to find these days. The zfold slaps both of those two devices together. I've only had it for a few weeks it's definitely not perfect battery life could be better cameras could be better they could have built the stylus into the body, it's good enough that I felt it was okay to get into even though I think the next generation one (4) will probably really be The Sweet spot.

Back