Samsung working on bigger consumer grade SSDs

By Greg S · 13 replies
Aug 9, 2017
Post New Reply
  1. Solid state drives are a standard among enthusiasts and are readily available in many OEM offerings, but most users still have at least one mechanical hard drive spinning away for storing large amounts of data. Samsung is working to eliminate the need for traditional hard drive storage with its QLC based NAND memory.

Slower than the now common TLC NAND found in consumer grade solid state drives, QLC has the ability to be packed into a denser configuration. A single chip intended to be packed into a finished product will be able to hold 1.5 TB. Extrapolating this out to 32 chips in a single solid state drive results in a 48 TB drive, although Samsung already has plans for a 128 TB SAS enterprise SSD.

Clearly the enterprise grade options will not be affordable for consumers, but reducing the number of parts required for smaller capacity drives should help bring more affordable options. Seeing several terabyte SSDs at costs closer to mechanical hard drives is a possibility.

More storage capacity is great, but life expectancy is also a concern since existing drives still have a limited amount of write operations that can be performed before the memory wears out. QLC is less durable than TLC NAND, yet has 4 bits per cell in an attempt to increase its longevity. Combined with existing wear-leveling and error correction technologies, rest assured that large capacity drives will still remain usable for longer than an average consumer needs.

Even though QLC is not impressively fast on its own, the ability to access data in parallel through a raid-like configuration leaves plenty of opportunity for creative ways of quickly handling file operations.

The cream of the crop Samsung 960 NVMe SSDs are also expected to receive a refresh over the next several months. It is doubtful that QLC NAND will be found on the next update of the high speed M.2 form factor drives; however, fast turn around times have been seen from Samsung in the past so the jury remains out until further information is available.

Permalink to story.

2. MoeJoe

MoeJoe TS Guru Posts: 687   +373

More capacity please ...

3. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Evangelist Posts: 1,977   +637

More storage capacity is great, but life expectancy is also a concern since existing drives still have a limited amount of write operations that can be performed before the memory wears out.

Didn't The Tech Report put that to rest already?

4. MoeJoe

If any company knows HOW to produce SSD's that "last" ... it's Samsung.

The whole urban legend that SSD's don't demonstrate strong reliability in this year of our Lord - 2017 - is just that ... legend. And a bad one at that. There's way more demonstrative evidence that classic rotating media based storage devices die with an unprecedented randomness compared to solid state platforms.

Wear out in the context of an SSD's useful life - especially in the realm of consumer storage - is a nothing burger.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    ForgottenLegion and EClyde like this.
  5. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 3,076   +1,761

Yeah, I finally settled on Samsung for my desktops and laptops. They seem to have and maintain the best track record at the most reasonable price and thanks to that I can finally ditch my old lithograph machine!

6. alexnode

alexnode TS Enthusiast Posts: 40   +13

Yes I have to day that I have SSDs for 8 years now and not one has failed ( I am in the video business) so there is a lot of writing going on. On the other hand I had two 3 year old Barracudas that failed in the last year. And they only take backups a fraction of the workload of our SSDs

7. Lionvibez

Lionvibez TS Evangelist Posts: 1,230   +403

TR test didn't include any QLC NAND so there is no data for this yet.

8. MoeJoe

And then there's that too ...

9. ForgottenLegion

ForgottenLegion TS Addict Posts: 134   +124

Yes please. Hard drive £/GB hasn't decreased for the last 7 years. Perhaps SSD's will close the gap a little more.
    Put some pressure on Seagate & WD. They really need some competition.

10. HardReset

HardReset TS Maniac Posts: 477   +149

No, they didn't. They totally missed data retention test. It really doesn't help if NAND cell lasts say 10000 writes if after 2000 writes it can hold data for about two hours.

Exactly, "last". 840 and 840 Evo fiascos are well in memory.

Far from urban legend tbh. First, HDD's usually give at least some indication they are getting broke, SSD's don't. SSD just stops working and that's about it.

Also I really doubt modern SSD's hold data for long time. I just took HDD I put some data on 2008. Yep, all data was still readable. I doubt many SSD's survive that. In fact, minimum data retention time for consumer SSD's is one year. So SSD's cannot replace HDD's as long term storage use.

11. HardReset

HardReset TS Maniac Posts: 477   +149

Perhaps small HDD's don't but Seagate Archive 8TB is around $0.03/GB.

12. roberthi

roberthi TS Booster Posts: 182   +37

Cost is the only reason I haven't gone above 128Gb on an SSD and still hang on to the spinning platter monsters.

13. ddferrari

ddferrari TS Maniac Posts: 305   +137

Umm, you can buy a 256GB SSD for $75.

14. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 12,732   +2,416

Well an SSD's limited write capability becomes a non-issue, in an situation where all you're doing is basically archiving data. Write once and done, shouldn't be too taxing, now should it?

The only place where you actually need expanded write, overwrite reliability is on C?: At least that's how all my copies of Windows are setup.