Samsung's 4K 240 Hz monitor starts selling next month for $1,500

Tudor Cibean

Staff
Something to look forward to: While we've had high-refresh-rate 4K monitors for a few years now, Samsung's Odyssey Neo G8 will be the first one to reach 240 Hz when it starts shipping next month. If you can live with "just" 165 Hz, the Neo G7 comes $200 cheaper, although its peak HDR brightness is limited to half of the G8's.

At CES 2022, Samsung showed off its new 32-inch Odyssey Neo G8 gaming monitor, the world's first screen combining a 4K resolution with a 240Hz refresh rate. It also features an impressive Mini LED backlight with 1,196 dimming zones and a peak brightness of 2,000 nits, Adaptive-Sync support, and a 1000R curvature.

The display is finally available for preorder starting today for $1,500, and it'll begin shipping on June 6.

It also announced a lower-end version of the G8, appropriately named the Odyssey Neo G7. It features a similar 32-inch 4K curved VA panel, although its refresh rate is limited to 165Hz.

The Mini LED backlight features the same number of dimming zones, but the maximum brightness is limited to 1,000 nits. It also features 10-bit color support, covers 95% of DCI-P3, and comes with RGB lighting on the front and back.

Connectivity includes one DisplayPort 1.4 port, two HDMI 2.1 connectors, two 5 Gbit/s USB-A ports, and a 3.5mm headphone jack. The included stand allows for tilt, swivel, pivot, and height adjustment. It's also worth noting that the Neo G7 comes with a black back panel, while the G8's is white.

Samsung lists the Odyssey Neo G7 for $1,300, but does not mention when it'll start shipping.

Running the latest games at 4K at these high refresh rates will be no easy task, but luckily AMD's and Nvidia's next-gen GPUs are coming out later this year. If you prefer ultrawide gaming instead, check out our review of the Alienware AW3423DW, which comes with a Samsung-made QD-OLED panel.

Permalink to story.

It is nice to have a ew model, but anything non-oled at this stage is just keeping us in the past. I'd love to get 5k ultrawide oled screen, dont let me wait;)

It is nice to have a ew model, but anything non-oled at this stage is just keeping us in the past. I'd love to get 5k ultrawide oled screen, dont let me wait;)
I still have mixed feelings on OLED. For my use where the display never turns off I feel like I'm a prime suspect for burn in or OLED browning. OLEDs are getting better. Haven't upgraded my VA panel since 2017 and it still works great. limited to 4k60 is kind of a bummer but that was where it was at back then.

:) I don't mean going to this specific monitor just time to upgrade.
I definitely want to get a high refresh rate monitor someday, just to see if it lives up to the hype, or if I can even notice much of a difference. I'd be happy with a 1440p VN or IPS monitor as an upgrade.

GPU performance and display tech is moving incredibly fast and it's great. 1440p and 165Hz suits me perfectly for the competitive fps games I play, but 240Hz will def be the upgrade when the time comes mostly, because not long from now I imagine 240Hz will be the new 120Hz for competitive gamers.

What picture quality do you get over DP 1.4 for 4k @ 240hz, 8 bit 4:2:0
compression?
Because you will need a future gpu to run 4k at 240 fps it's better to wait for display port 2.0 standard displays.

I have an idea
How about you make something more affordable?

My 55 inch OLED was bought for a little bit over 1k eur.
Why would anyone pay more for a non OLED with way smaller surfcare area?

It's another gimmick from Samsung. 4K @ 240Hz is unrealistic without DisplayPort 2.0, or you end up with horrible compression, and very crappy HDR.

I definitely want to get a high refresh rate monitor someday, just to see if it lives up to the hype, or if I can even notice much of a difference. I'd be happy with a 1440p VN or IPS monitor as an upgrade.
Here I found you a monitor: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/UM.JE1AA.C01

Only 60 Hz refresh But, it's 2K, 32"< and 1 billion colors (10 bit panel IPS).
Amazon is selling it at $230.00

You would need a GTX-1060/70 or a GTX-1660 super or ti to game at 1440p (2K).

This would tide you over while you save up for the Samsung. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
1000r on a 16:9????

I have 1000R on my G9 odyssey, but would never want it on a regular 16:9 monitor.
Yup way to aggressive a curve for a screen that small. I do 1900R on my 34" and its just mild enough that I don't notice it as much.

Here I found you a monitor: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/UM.JE1AA.C01

Only 60 Hz refresh But, it's 2K, 32"< and 1 billion colors (10 bit panel IPS).
Amazon is selling it at $230.00
My current monitor is an Acer. They seem to make pretty good stuff for a decent price, so I wouldn't mind going with them for an upgrade.

Maybe I should have mentioned that I have a 4K TV (limited to 60 Hz) that my computer is also connected to, but only for when I want to use it while gaming. That said, for an eventual future upgrade I would thus be mostly interested in trying a higher refresh rate.

You would need a GTX-1060/70 or a GTX-1660 super or ti to game at 1440p (2K).

This would tide you over while you save up for the Samsung. :rolleyes:
I do have a 1660 Super. It can do lower-requirement stuff (like Cemu Wii U emulation) at 4K, which is fun. But I won't be saving up for monitors like the ones mentioned in the article. I don't want to spend more than a few hundred bucks on any display, no matter how good it may be.

Back