Samsung's ArtPC Pulse combines cylindrical desktop PC with 360-degree speaker

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Interested in owning a PC modeled after Apple’s Mac Pro but don’t care for MacOS? Perhaps Samsung’s upcoming ArtPC Pulse desktop computer may suit your needs.

Measuring 10.7 inches tall and tipping the scales at 11.9 pounds, Samsung’s ArtPC Pulse comes in two configurations. The cheaper of the two includes a sixth generation Intel Core i5 processor (sorry, no Kaby Lake here), 8GB of DDR4 RAM, AMD Radeon RX 460 graphics and 256GB of NVMe storage.

The high-end configuration packs an Intel Core i7 CPU, 16GB of DDR4 RAM, the same AMD Radeon RX 460 graphics and a 256GB NVMe solid state drive. It also includes a 1TB SATA hard drive for additional storage.

Interestingly enough, both systems feature a Harmon Kardon 360-degree omni-directional speaker on top that presumably will serve double duty as a Alexa-like personal assistant and the PC’s own speaker for listening to music, watching videos and so on.

Samsung teased the ArtPC on YouTube last week, promising to announce it today. As of writing, however, Samsung hasn’t officially revealed its new system (all of the information in this article was pulled from Amazon product pages).

The cheaper Core i5 variant will set you back $1,199.99 while the faster Core i7 system can be yours in exchange for $1,599.99. Amazon’s listings reference an October 28 launch date.

If neither machine tickles your fancy, there's always MSI's Vortex PC or Cryorig's Ola chassis to choose from.

Permalink to story.

Now I know that Samsung is a Japanese word or phrase. Could it be the phrase "exploding in a store near you, soon!" or words to that effect?

Seriously, considering the same engineering team(s) may have a hand in the circuit designs of many of their PCB's I would be seriously concerned about how many more of their products might have similar issues .... and I would not be totally surprised to eventually hear that there was a little industrial sabotage going on. The Japanese are VERY competitive and it certainly not be the first time that has happened, although this one appears to be the most successfully aggressive campaign ...... wow, maybe a great theme for the old "Spy VS Spy" series!

Now I know that Samsung is a Japanese word or phrase. Could it be the phrase "exploding in a store near you, soon!" or words to that effect?

Samsung is a Korean company....
And they didn't manufacture the exploding batteries.
True, Samsung is Korean, but if the batteries were the cause of the phones catching fire, the replacement batteries should have fixed the problem, it didnt, thus, Samsung is clearly covering up a bigger problem.
I bought the much raved EVO 840 SSD a few years ago, paid almost a third more for it than any other SSD of the same capacity. The drive performed poorly, even slower than my 10 000 rpm hard drive, I eventually got it replaced but later learnt that a manufacturing flaw, yep, Samsung, had caused the drive to slow down over time. A patch was eventually released, and then another patch to somewhat "refresh" the drives performance to wha Samsung had claimed it would perform. It never did, drive performed poorly as time went by. I eventually replaced it and simply now using that SSD as a 250 gig USB drive.
Seems Samsung it too obsessed in watching and copying Apple, and so soing rushes to be first on the shelves.
I learnt my lesson.

Can you change the power supply? Samsung uses cheapest most prone to break power suppliers (the part that broke on my tv and two displays was power supply) and after recent developments wouldn't be surprised if they added the explode mechanism to those too.

Very poor in releasing drivers and firmwares. If there is a bug, expect year to none. just take a look at their laptops. Spend your money to real PC/computer experts like Dell, Asus, Apple etc.

True, Samsung is Korean, but if the batteries were the cause of the phones catching fire, the replacement batteries should have fixed the problem, it didnt, thus, Samsung is clearly covering up a bigger problem.
I bought the much raved EVO 840 SSD a few years ago, paid almost a third more for it than any other SSD of the same capacity. The drive performed poorly, even slower than my 10 000 rpm hard drive, I eventually got it replaced but later learnt that a manufacturing flaw, yep, Samsung, had caused the drive to slow down over time. A patch was eventually released, and then another patch to somewhat "refresh" the drives performance to wha Samsung had claimed it would perform. It never did, drive performed poorly as time went by. I eventually replaced it and simply now using that SSD as a 250 gig USB drive.
Seems Samsung it too obsessed in watching and copying Apple, and so soing rushes to be first on the shelves.
I learnt my lesson.

I love my 840 EVO.

Back