Samsung's Galaxy Fold is reportedly ready for a relaunch

Polycount

Staff
In brief: After several nasty design issues cropped up before the launch of Samsung's ambitious "Galaxy Fold" smartphone, the company decided to delay its release indefinitely while it worked out some of the kinks. Now, according to a report, the device's redesign has finally been completed, and Samsung is preparing to relaunch it in time for the holidays later this year.

Sources familiar with the matter told Bloomberg that a specific launch date hasn't been decided just yet, but given that we're already over halfway through the year, we can probably expect an official announcement soon.

Among other improvements, the redesigned Fold's protective plastic has apparently been "[wrapped] around the entire screen," under the bezels, to prevent ordinary users from peeling it up as several reviewers did (which caused the display to stop functioning properly). The new protective plastic should also help block dust, crumbs, or other small particles from making their way under the screen.

To further ensure the protective layer's integrity, the Fold's hinge has been tweaked and pushed "slightly upward" -- it's hard to say what that might look like without actually seeing Samsung's new Fold, though.

The Fold's price will not be changing, so you can still expect to pay roughly $2,000 to get one of the luxury devices. We'll keep you updated if Samsung releases any new information about their latest phone in the coming months.

Permalink to story.

If the product really has had the issues fixed, then they would be stupid not to.

If those same reviews change so much that they recommend the device, call it the Fold 1.1 for the sake of argument, then they have a win on their hands. If they don't send them to the same reviewers, I think it shows a lack of confidence in the product.

Last edited:
I actually want this to be a viable product. The early versions of this, this one included, is going to have kinks. This isn't going to be a flawless product in it's early revisions. Demand for the product needs to be there in order for companies to justify investing money in developing solutions to current flaws. However, demand for the product won't be there if the product they release can't handle real world use and turns people away before it has a chance.

So cheers to foldable phones. Cheers to having a product that justifies investment in further development.

I actually want this to be a viable product.

Too many people are fixated on the cost and keep thinking of it as a $2,000 phone, which is unfair. In reality, it is a phone and small tablet. Go buy a premium phone and decent, small tablet and it will cost you a lot more than $2,000.

And for narrow minded readers, please do not think that I like Samsung products. I don't!

So cheers to foldable phones. Cheers to having a product that justifies investment in further development.

What do you reckon to the other styles of foldables, like the 'clam-shell' ones? I'm really glad there's some innovation and differentiation creeping back into the market. It's hard to get excited for the 84 glass rectangles that are launched each year.

Back