Samsung's Galaxy Note 10 won't have a headphone jack

nanoguy

Staff member
The big picture: Most users still swear by their wired headphones and for a while now Samsung has been making the headphone jack a mandatory bullet point in every phone spec sheet, giving everyone hope that they wouldn't need a dongle to keep using their favorite headset. But that's about to change with the world's largest phone maker following in the footsteps of the very company that started the dongle era.

It was back in 2016 that Phil Schiller declared the familiar port obsolete technology and marketed its removal from the iPhone 7 as "courage". Well, the company would go on to ship a Lightning to 3.5 mm jack adapter with its phones for a while, at least until last year when it launched the iPhone XS and XR.

A lot of companies that are in the habit of following Apple removed the headphone jack in their phones starting with Google's Pixel 2 lineup and continuing with Sony's Xperia XZ2, OnePlus 6T, and many others. Now it seems Samsung has finally found the "courage" it needs to leave the old headphone jack behind, with leaked renders spotted by SamMobile showing a 3.5 mm to USB-C adapter that is intended for the upcoming Galaxy Note 10.

It's not yet clear if it'll come included in the box, but something worth noting is that one in every five phones sold in the world is a Samsung phone if you go by the latest numbers. And since the Korean giant was one of the only holdouts in the top ten club, having them join the dongle revolution means we'll see a lot more competition and lower prices in the wireless accessories market.

Samsung is said to be readying pair of AKG-branded, in-ear wired headphones with active noise cancelling that plug in via USB Type-C, which should come included in the box with every Note 10. The company's Galaxy Tab S6 also doesn't have a headphone jack, but won't have either accessory included in the box.

Permalink to story.

Hopefully my Note9 will last another 2-4 years before my next upgrade... At least. Hopefully by then, battery life and waterproofing improves greatly.

Samsung is said to be readying pair of AKG-branded, in-ear wired headphones with active noise cancelling that plug in via USB Type-C, which should come included in the box with every Note 10.
At least it's better than having to buy your own wireless headphones but still if you wanna use other headphones you already own and like you just can't. Having to buy accessories around your phone which is supposed to serve you, not the other way around is dumb. The only sensible thing to do is to not buy the phone.

I may be one of the few here that doesn't mind losing the headphone jack. I guess I just got used to it when I moved onto the iPhone 7 Pkus from the iPhone 6 Plus.

Don't get me wrong, I do like the idea of having a headphone jack; but whether my next phone has one or not is inconsequential to me. So long as my Android has a micro SD card slot and great battery life, I'm good to go. But that upgrade won't happen until the Note 11, or I severely damage my current Galaxy S9+; whichever comes first.

You know how many people I've seen using wireless phones around here in the past five years? One. And he was almost certainly not a local judging by his dress and behavior. What a hair-brained decision by Samsuck. First off, this is going to force millions of phone-based POS system users to buy new hardware. Second, USB 2/3 audio is a terrible standard that almost never works right so I don't have much confidence in USB3. Even those who already have USB 3 headsets are gonna be screwed unless they use an (undoubtedly expensive) USBC adapter. As for wireless, I'm not sacrificing sound quality nor being forced to charge yet another device just to listen in private. I'd much sooner break out the ol' MP3 player which will run for seven hours easy and is barely a dimple in my pocket.

SD card is a must, 12GB RAM is a must and UFS3.0 is a must for me. I used to have the phones jack as well but if it has the above I will be able to get over it...

Back