Samsung's Galaxy S20 smartphones are the first to reach 'Certified USB Fast Charger' status

Polycount

Staff
What just happened? The USB Implementers Forum (USB-IF), the organization responsible for establishing standards for the USB interface, has announced that Samsung's Galaxy S20 family of smartphones are the first devices to achieve "Certified USB Fast Charger" status.

Certified USB Fast Charger status comes with a few requirements, which Samsung has fulfilled. To meet the certification, a given device must support the Programmable Power Supply (PPS) feature of the USB Power Delivery (USB PD) 3.0 specification. This technology enables smartphones to charge faster while "better" managing thermals.

In theory, this news should mean Samsung's devices will officially work with a much broader range of certified Fast Chargers. The USB-IF hopes the USB Fast Charger certification will increase the "reusability and sharing" of chargers across "all compliant devices," reducing electronic waste and paving the way for a more convenient user experience.

"Galaxy S20 series has been certified to be compliant to the USB standards which means Galaxy S20 has met the highest standards in the industry," Samsung VP of "Power Solution" Kisun Lee said in a statement. "We believe that a convenient user experience is the most important value and using a robust and inherently safe USB PD standard ensures interoperability and an optimized charging experience."

The standard Galaxy S20 and S20 Plus will reportedly boast fast charging speeds of up to 25W, with the S20 Ultra kicking it up a notch to 45W. The first S20 devices are expected to hit the market early next month, with price tags starting at $1,000.

Masthead credit: PCMag. Middle image credit: Cnet.

Permalink to story.

Everyone seems to love this 40W+ fast charging tech. not me. fact is, here in a warm country, 40W charging gets your phone hot, period. even more when you're using it. that'll turn your battery into e-waste sooner.

I'd take a high quality 10W-18W charger anyday. what's crazy is that sometimes a 3rd party adapter is even better than the genuine charger. I always look up to this Danish guy: https://lygte-info.dk/info/indexUSB UK.html

That phone is almost 3 years old.
Yeah I am not one of those id!ots who buys the latest and greatest extremely overpriced 'smartphone', I get the model thats 2 years old, with 95% of the performance and features for 1/4 of the price.

My S8 charges pertie quick, wonder what the charge times are?
Can't wait to read @Scorpus the Supreme's review.
Sometimes that quick charging means the battey capacity has been degraded. I replaced my S7 battery last year after 3 years of usage. IT charged fast but ran out fast too. It did swolen too as there was visible gap between back panel and the metal frame.
Your s8 is 3 years old, it may have same problem. Galaxy S battery replacment is quite cheap though and it stays waterproof because samsung service center also replaced the rubber seal

Your s8 is 3 years old, it may have same problem. Galaxy S battery replacment is quite cheap though and it stays waterproof because samsung service center also replaced the rubber seal
I bought my S8 NIB last August for $250 shipped, my battery life is great still and the phone charges quickly.
I was just curious to see how fast this S20 charges compared to my Galaxy.

Yeah I am not one of those id!ots who buys the latest and greatest extremely overpriced 'smartphone', I get the model thats 2 years old, with 95% of the performance and features for 1/4 of the price.

I'm also an andriod user.

Using an Galaxy S10.

The problem with waiting so long is you only get 2 years of updates on most Android phones except for the Google Pixel line.

So by the time you purchase the phone at that cheap price its at the end or done with OS updates and security patches.

I wouldn't be comfortable running around with an unpatched android phone but to each his own.

The problem with waiting so long is you only get 2 years of updates on most Android phones except for the Google Pixel line.
I was still getting updates on my S4, S5, S6 and S7 3-4 years after I had them. The only thing that stopped updating was the OS version. As long as your not downloading 'iffy' apps and visiting 'iffy' sites, its not an issue. I still know folks who use S5's with no problems.
Thinking you need a 2 year old newer phone to justify its purchase based on security has very little substance.

I was still getting updates on my S4, S5, S6 and S7 3-4 years after I had them. The only thing that stopped updating was the OS version. As long as your not downloading 'iffy' apps and visiting 'iffy' sites, its not an issue. I still know folks who use S5's with no problems.
Thinking you need a 2 year old newer phone to justify its purchase based on security has very little substance.

You are still getting Security updates on Android phones that are 4+ years old?

Who is your Provider?

Im doing IT security right now thinking you are safe on an unpatched andriod phone just because you don't browse certain sites will not save you from exploits.

Those folks still using a Galaxy S5 more likely don't even care about security so not the best example to follow.

Last edited:
You are still getting Security updates on Android phones that are 4+ years old?
Out of all of my galaxy's the one I had the longest, amazingly, was my S6, which I ran for about 40 months on the dot. Android don't push updates often, but I remember in the last 3-4 weeks I had it, it received another one/update.
I have the 'Loyalty Go Unlimited Plan' with Verizon, its about $100 a month for me and my wife (two lines) with unlimited talk, text and data to over 200+ countries. We go to Canada alot as we live on the border, and did our honeymoon in Niagara Falls so its nice to have it.
I get what your saying about security though, anything past 4-5 years and your definitely walking on the line, but I would say year 3 and year 4 I was still getting updates.

Out of all of my galaxy's the one I had the longest, amazingly, was my S6, which I ran for about 40 months on the dot. Android don't push updates often, but I remember in the last 3-4 weeks I had it, it had got another one.
I have the 'Loyalty Go Unlimited Plan' with Verizon, its about $100 a month for me and my wife (two lines) with unlimited talk, text and data to over 200+ countries. We go to Canada alot as we live on the border, and did our honeymoon in Niagara Falls so its nice to have it.

Niagara falls is nice I try to go once a year I live in canada.

And speaking of exploits

your device is on the list
Samsung Galaxy S8

stuff like this is why its important to have an up to date phone no browsing of dodgy websites for this one.

Back