Samsung's upcoming Galaxy Note 10 is reportedly getting a major redesign

Humza

Staff member
Rumor mill: As the Note 10's launch comes closer, the rumor mill has started churning out more news of what fans can expect from the latest iteration. Although word got out previously about the device's potential lack of physical buttons and a 5G version, now it looks like it won't ship with a headphone jack as well.

The rumors around Samsung's phablet (is the term still around or is everything a phablet these days?) made rounds earlier in March and PhoneArena also came up with some interesting renders, but now there is stronger evidence to suggest that this year's Note 10 is looking to spice things up in terms of hardware design with two major changes. Both of which are likely to receive the love or hate treatment by fans of the device.

Before the Galaxy Fold fiasco, which is taking its sweet time for a re-release, the Note series was the Samsung flagship that usually got the limelight. Bringing everything but the kitchen sink for top dollar to an enthusiastic fanbase, the latest model might be taking things a bit too far for the sake of change.

The design updates involve letting go of the headphone jack, the inclusion of which has now become an exception rather than the rule. Even the company's latest Galaxy S10 models came with one (and were praised for it) but Samsung apparently has had some of Apple's 'courage' and deems the feature unnecessary to make way for other hardware changes that will then be possible.

Speaking to Android Police, a source close to Samsung's plans for the device revealed that the headphone jack and all physical buttons will be removed. Expect the volume, power and Bixby actuation through capacitive buttons or haptic sensors like those found on the HTC U12+.

The hardware changes could potentially improve structural rigidity of the device and offer increased protection against dust and liquids. Space saved from removing the headphone jack could allow for a bigger battery, but not by much as it would still need to have a slot to make room for the S Pen, its signature stylus that gets more feature-rich with each model update.

The absence of physical buttons mean fewer parts to go wrong and make way for a more seamless body. Though it remains to be seen how Samsung can successfully replicate the tactile feel of physical buttons that are crucial to the overall user experience of the device, if these rumors turn out to be true. Until then, keep your salt cellar nearby.

Permalink to story.

How to change volume up or down when your kids is watching a yt video... or when phone is in pocket and you listen to music on a bt speaker. Car industry tried touch screen to everything and they're backing down to knobs, there is no reason to make interface less user friendly for sake of modernity.

No headphone jack equals no sale for me. Do you know how many vehicles, even new ones, that don't have Bluetooth? Probably millions. I just rented a van for a week. I was able to stream music from my Note 9 for the 2600 miles I drove. The very new Ford Transit 350 XLT van lacked Bluetooth connectivity. TG I had an audio cable with me and a jack on my Note 9. And companies wonder why sales of smartphones are stagnant. How about focusing on screen that doesn't need a "protector" or cracks when dropped from a pocket, instead of dropping the headphone jack or some hard buttons?

Same here. No headphone jack and no physical buttons, no buy. I thought I was already making enough of a compromise by willing to forego removable batteries, but this is just too much. These companies seem to want to remove any control we have over the device.

How is this a major redesign again?

The absence of physical buttons mean fewer parts to go wrong and make way for a more seamless bod
That is a really really really small upside for what is sacrificed.

I really wanted to get n9.
But the price. And now when I could get it or 10plus for about 600 with trade in, I of course chose 10+ because it is now way newer.

I know that I could get it new from ebay for around 650~ but again, it is too old now.
I still remember my note 4 which I liked a lot despite peeling frame paint.

Hopefully in two years they will have something with good discounts, an hopefully it ll be a fresh note phone.

I might be interested - especially since they are getting rid of the headphone jack. Physical buttons out also are a major plus in my book since it means no Bixby dedicated button (such a lame idea).

No headphone jack equals no sale for me. Do you know how many vehicles, even new ones, that don't have Bluetooth? Probably millions. I just rented a van for a week. I was able to stream music from my Note 9 for the 2600 miles I drove. The very new Ford Transit 350 XLT van lacked Bluetooth connectivity. TG I had an audio cable with me and a jack on my Note 9. And companies wonder why sales of smartphones are stagnant. How about focusing on screen that doesn't need a "protector" or cracks when dropped from a pocket, instead of dropping the headphone jack or some hard buttons?
Lots of people at weddings take their tablets to plug into mixing desks. This uses a cable from the headphone jack as bluetooth is not yet a regular feature on desks or amps.

Why should the public get a phone jack, when the CEO can instead have extra $5 bucks for every phone sold?
You don't need a phone jack anyways, these CEO's already told you that them being richer is more important to them, than your wants, or needs.

Lots of people at weddings take their tablets to plug into mixing desks. This uses a cable from the headphone jack as bluetooth is not yet a regular feature on desks or amps.
They come with adapters - so you can still plug them into anything you want.... and they charge wirelessly so you can charge them while they’re connected...
Welcome to the 2020s !!

Lack of headphone jack is necessary for maximum water resistance.

But the lack of physical buttons is too extreme.
I literally, although carefully and occasionally gently wash my Note 9 in dish water and rinse it in the sink. No water damage whatsoever and I've had it since day one preorder. It's my daily driver and the cleaning is the ONLY time it comes out of a case. Not sure how much water resistance a phone actually needs, but mine does well.

Same here. No headphone jack and no physical buttons, no buy. I thought I was already making enough of a compromise by willing to forego removable batteries, but this is just too much. These companies seem to want to remove any control we have over the device.
I kept my old Note 4 just for such occasions. I can hotspot my data on my main phone(S8+) and use spotify through my old phone for legacy situations like that. As long as people continue to use devices with legacy tech, then we're gonna need one foot in both worlds: an old phone with audiojack to use with outdated devices, and a modern phone for modern tech. It's just like any other transition period.

I kept my old Note 4 just for such occasions. I can hotspot my data on my main phone(S8+) and use spotify through my old phone for legacy situations like that. As long as people continue to use devices with legacy tech, then we're gonna need one foot in both worlds: an old phone with audiojack to use with outdated devices, and a modern phone for modern tech. It's just like any other transition period.
No... you just need a cheap adapter... way more practical than keeping an old device... but hey, whatever floats your boat..

Bars here in Thailand too...

Damn look at all these people complaining, yet millions more are still buying the iphone?

What did apple show us? Your opinion does not matter lmao!

Dude, I bought a bluetooth adapter for headphone jacks on Amazon and it works flawlessly. You plug in your ancient device with headphone jack to the bluetooth connector, blue tooth connector plugs into phone, and voila! it works flawlessly.

Back