SanDisk: SSD will hit mass adoption in one or two generations

Emil

Staff

Despite Seagate's remarks that Solid State Drives (SSDs) are not the future (but hybrids are), SanDisk, one of the world's largest producers of flash-based devices, disagrees. The company has high expectations for SSDs in both enterprise systems and mobile computers.

"As for SSD, these are transforming enterprise storage as we speak, and we are within one or two generations from their mass adoption in notebook PCs and other thin clients," Eli Harari, Sandisk's outgoing Chief Executive Officer, said during the company's Third Quarter (PDF) conference call with financial analysts. "To be a market leader in SSD you need to have access to leading-edge high-quality Flash, shippable in high volumes at a competitive cost, applying sophisticated know-how for managing highly scaled NAND, having the requisite patents, and building on strong OEM credentials. SanDisk has it all, and we are working diligently to gain a leadership position in this space."

Harari admits that currently only a fraction of notebooks use SSDs but he believes as notebooks get thinner, PC makers will be forced to use SSDs instead of HDDs. Price will of course be the main driving factor for getting SSDs into PCs. I personally expect my next PC to have one, what about you?

Permalink to story.

Weren't Seagate's remarks more focused toward mobile computing?

Regardless, SSDs would hit mass adoption much faster if the prices became more reasonable.

I would like an SSD in my PC but I am still not so sure about the life expectancy of it. I read in the article where Seagate was saying that hybrid is the future that Luczo has such a notebook with an SSD drive and in just on year the boot time increased from 12 second to 25-30. So, if this is what happens in just one year, I cannot imagine what will happen after 3-4-5 years.

Also, how much does it mean in years one or two generations?

I wouldn't be surprised to find most notebooks having them in the near future, they're smaller, cooler, more power efficient and less fragile, while improving performance, which benefits the slower laptops that are actually becoming more popular since people are willing to sacrifice speed for battery life and smaller sizes. The drawback is capacity and price, which is slowly improving, so indeed its only a matter of time.

As for desktops, only the enthusiasts would be interested right now i think, perhaps again when they become more affordable we will find more people adopting them, at least as a boot drive... I don't think they will serve much for mass storage, our typical drives would be around for a long time for that purpose at least.

"In one or two generations" really depends on how fast those will arrive. That prices will eventually drop and capacities are already getting higher and higher, I think I'll be running my OS on SSD in a year or so :)
This transition will probably hit netbooks faster I guess, as they mostly come with relatively small capacities anyway, so price should be less of a problem.

Right now they're just a bit too expensive. I've been consistently using about 300 GB of space on my OS drive, I'm probably not going to switch over until I can get that much space for about $100. I hate having to delete programs or move them to other drives.

I bet this thread can be copy and pasted and found decades ago( if there was internet then) when the com 64 hit the streets.

They're too expensive for their capacity... In a world where games weight almost 8gigs, and the Os takes up to 20 gigs, you need at least a 64 gb SSD, and still you need to keep replacing files all the time... While I look forward to this technology, I expect some lower prices in the near future...

If SSD's come down in price, then I'd definently buy one as soon as I can. I guess not only notebooks will have SSD's in the near future, but regular desktop-PC's as well. Even though SSD's have not been adopted well by Mr. Stan McNormalguy, it's certainly heard of.

Maybe that is all it really needs in order to become successfull? Provided that the price-tag stop turning heads.

After seeing the difference in data transfert i WANT a SSD drive

dosent have to be big give me 250G (at a resonable price) is plenty of room space to install the OS and games. My regular data ,music,video can stay on a normal drive

This is the future

alexandrionel said:
I would like an SSD in my PC but I am still not so sure about the life expectancy of it. I read in the article where Seagate was saying that hybrid is the future that Luczo has such a notebook with an SSD drive and in just on year the boot time increased from 12 second to 25-30. So, if this is what happens in just one year, I cannot imagine what will happen after 3-4-5 years.

Also, how much does it mean in years one or two generations?

I read that too but I believe that is just to do with the OS and software bogging it down, as does a normal hard drive. Most of the benchmarks shown in reviews of hardware begin with a fresh OS install to show them in their best light - I'm afraid time really does tell with storage devices.

I see SSD's as a more viable option than hybrids in 5 year's time. Like everyone else, they gotta do something with the pricing though.

It would be so great if prices would go down and capacity go up on SSD drives. I am thinking that all notebooks and netbooks will ship with ssd's withing two years time. IMO anything less than a 120GB SSD is a waste since it would be full so fast.

I will go SSD when I can get 750gb for less then $150. I I hate deleting old games to make room for new games. I also use my computer to mix music and video which is why a 300gb drive would just be too small. Funny but maybe in the next 2 years we will all have "Windows 8 (no NTFS)" 16 gigs of ram, 12 core cpu's I am more excited about that then SSD drives.

Hybrids are nice but matching a small boot (OS, games, etc…) SSD with a larger standard data (pics, movies, etc…) HD is a reasonable approach currently.

price and the size of SSDs that matter me.....right now 500GB is insufficient then 120 GB of SSDs cost very high.....

SSD are the future but based on price and mass storage, I would go to Hybrid at least until SSD´s prices go down, hybrid are fast enough for the price and the storage size. but we DO have to realyze that SSD are the real future after the tecnology really grow up, cause it still too young.

File size is my main concern with SSDs... I think i'd have to go with Seagate on this one, I have a feeling that it'd be hybrid drives that take center stage.

Its sort of like a halfway WIN breed between SSD's and normal HDDs, sure you don't get the speeds of a normal SSD, but they're still fast.

My question now is why haven't companies like samsung (which undoubtedly is one of the world's major outputters of flash memory chips) considered Hybrid drives...

Think about it, with their super speed 3.5" Hard drives, (Read HD103SJ) coupled with hybrid flash mem? Thats gotta be a recipe for win :x

Back