SATA dvd drive not recognised

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there everyone. My first visit to the site so I hope someone will be able to help me out.
I have just rebuilt my computer with msi K9N6PGM2 motherboard, sempron 2.2GHz processor, a maxtor IDE HDD and my old IDE DVD drive. This was loaded with XP Home with sata disabled in bios. Now my dvd drive has broken, I have replaced it with a new LG sata dvd/rw.
I have been into bios and enabled the sata/raid but I still cannot see the drive in "my computer" (all it says I have is the C drive HDD and a non-existant A drive floppy) - the raid and another "unknown" controller are both new to, and marked with a "!" in control panel-device manager - but without a disc drive I can't update or install any new drivers from CD. What have I forgotten to do? why is the drive invisible? ought I to have loaded something from the XP disc before I disposed of the old drive?

David

Set the SATA controller to IDE and see if you can use the SATA DVD drive. I have 3 SATA hard drives and a SATA CD/DVD burner paired with an IDE burner, all devices are active, and show in the bios as IDE devices

I had a similar problem recently loading a SATA HD and DVD/CD player. Have you verified you have the SATA drives plugged into the correct SATA ports? If there are multiple ports on your new MB this may be an issue.
Not all ports will support specific drives.

Hi Tmagic
I've looked in bios and the only thing there is to enable/disable sata and raid - nothing about setting to ide or anything.
I have also tried plugging into both of the sata ports on the motherboard - both have the same negative result!
Am I looking at yet another reload of Windows and all my other programs with the subsequent loss of data yet again????????

If you haven't already, go to the MSI website and download and install the SATA/RAID controller drivers for your motherboard.

New is Always Better....or Not........

Hi Tmagic
I've looked in bios and the only thing there is to enable/disable sata and raid - nothing about setting to ide or anything.
I have also tried plugging into both of the sata ports on the motherboard - both have the same negative result!
Am I looking at yet another reload of Windows and all my other programs with the subsequent loss of data yet again????????
This isn't in direct support of your current issues, but I thought I might give you some food for thought.

There's really not many valid points to having an optical drive that's SATA or a HDD drive that's IDE.
I understand that money is always a consideration, but allow me the luxury of ignoring it for the sake of this discussion.
The only SATA optical drive I would consider owning is a Blu-Ray, this because they're not made in IDE models.
Most all motherboards auto select "Run as IDE", (or whatever the MOBO Manufacturer chooses to call it), when only one SATA HDD is present. This dispenses with the need for SATA drivers.
So, why does everybody rush out and by SATA DVD drives, dunno I suppose it's fashionable.
The new mobos provide a "legacy" IDE buss, which I always use for 2 optical drives. DVD drives can't possibly output more data than the IDE buss can handle! Usually they connect @DMA-4 or 66MBS while the optical transfer is limited at maximum to about 25MBS, or less than half of what the buss can handle. So forget all the 3Gbs BS, no optical will ever even come near to that.

A forseeable configuration for a home computer is 4HDDs (2 in RAID 0 for programs) and (2 in RAID 1 for storage). A MATX mobo only has 4 SATA ports, so why waste a perfectly good SATA port by blocking it up with an optical drive, which as I mentioned has only about a tenth of the output that SATA 2 interface can handle.

In an XP install SATA HDDs cannot be run individually in native SATA mode, or "ACHI" as it's called.
You have an aging HDD and you're building a new machine. If I were in your shoes, I'd purchase a new SATA HDD, and transfer your data to it, and put the IDE HDD in your closet as a data storage thingy. Hey, it's way easier to do it that way, than burn a fistful of DVDs. Although it wouldn't hurt to do that also, just to make double super sure.
This would leave you the IDE buss clear, and you could put 2 IDE opticals on it which nets you direct drive to drive DVD copy, and all of your SATA ports free for HDD, to be added as needed.

I note that your concerened about potential data loss and a OS reinstall. Be aware that Maxtor HDDs don't have the reputation of longevity that other makes do. Not trying to cause alarm here, but it does give you something to think about. I'd save some pennies for a new SATA HDD, and keep Max the Magnificent for a rainy day. Have you ever tried to spend pennies on a rainy day. It makes more sense to stay inside and play with the computer.

I always take my own advice here, IDE opticals, SATA HDD running as IDE (I have all XP boxes and don't see the need for RAID). The machines fire right up in this configuration. This always makes me happy. It could make you happy as well.

There is quite a bit of hysterical silliness that takes place with the advent of technological advance. My prime example here is PS2 vs USB2 input devices. If I can't humanly type or click faster than a PS2 port will allow. Why on earth do I need a USB mouse and keyboard. Wait, I know, to block up a USB port that I could be using for something else, and to make me buy a new keyboard.

The newer motherboards (6 months to 1 year) seem to handle SATA devices better than the older/cheaper boards. I recently upgraded my older Abit motherboard with a Gigabyte EP45-UD3L. It handles both 6 SATA and 2 IDE devices side by side. The bios is Dual and loaded with easily customizeable settings. it has 12 USB2 ports

Many thanks for your advice... I have finally got the DVD drive to be recognised after repairing WinXP and then deleting the controllers and letting them be found and reinstalled again. Funny, I thought I'd done that at least twice before with no sucess............

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back