Save space on SSD

Emmc15

windows 7 is taking up a load of space on my ssd 60 gb and its close to full now even with all 3rd party software on a different drive, I was thinking of deleting language packs and possibly amd drivers which come stock, any tips or advice on how I would go about doing this. I have already uninstalled windows media center and internet explorer as I dont use them anyways

Honestly, I would say get a bigger drive. 60GB isn't really enough for windows and core programs. You can uninstall all you want. Eventually you will run into the same problem.

As mentioned in the link provided by Matthew, I have system restore disabled on my OS drive, as well. You'll be able to reclaim a lot of space with that tweak. You will spare your SSD some writes, too, since the system restore function will regularly update itself. You just have to make sure you have an image of your system stored elsewhere, just in case you need to restore your OS to an earlier state.

There's a good deal of debate on the internet about pagefile on an SSD. I moved mine to a second SSD, freeing some 16gb more or less on my OS drive. That was a big chunk of reclaimed space. I used to have my pagefile on an HDD -- a setup which did compromise performance somewhat when playing certain games. I would see pauses, slight but noticeable, when Windows accessed pagefile on the slower disk drive. Worth considering, though, given your circumstances.

There's a good deal of debate on the internet about pagefile on an SSD. I moved mine to a second SSD, freeing some 16gb more or less on my OS drive.
Speaking of which, I have disabled my pagefile since I have 8GB of memory. Everything seems to be working fine without a pagefile. However if my memory usage ever goes above 8GB, the system will likely crash and require a reboot.

If you have a HDD installed besides your SSD you can move your personal folders (documents, pictures, videos, music) to the HDD. You can change the location of the folders by right clicking on the folder / properties / location / move.

Speaking of which, I have disabled my pagefile since I have 8GB of memory. Everything seems to be working fine without a pagefile. However if my memory usage ever goes above 8GB, the system will likely crash and require a reboot.
Do not disable your pagefile! Some programs keep stuff in the pagefile REGARDLESS of how much RAM you have to play with.

You are playing with fire…

Do not disable your pagefile! Some programs keep stuff in the pagefile REGARDLESS of how much RAM you have to play with.

You are playing with fire…
Honestly why are you so dramatic, talking about playing with fire? The worst that can happen is the program will not run and possibly crash the system, which can be justified after reboot. I'm not sure why you are telling me not to run without a Pagefile, when I have done so for the past three or four months. If it is true that some programs do require a Pagefile, it would seem I do not have one of those programs. I will use a Pagefile when and only if I need it on my system.

Unless you can prove otherwise, I will continue to believe the Pagefile is managed by Windows, not the application using memory.

I don't think it will save much room to jettison language packs and amd drivers. how big can they be?
I would search for big files; pdfs, CABs, and sound files. but I suspect there is some major space hog - the system restore option would be a prime suspect. Myself, my restore strategy is to have data backed up, and just reload windows.

Here we are, back where I was with my first 386 (25mhz)-- with a 40mb hard drive. I learned a lot about Windows 3.1 by deleting help files, backgrounds, and fonts. Those were the good ol' days.
This yr, I build a comp with an ssd for OS, a hdd for storage, and a CF card plugged into the IDE connection (CF to IDE adapter)for pagefile. Things have been working fine for the several months of its life. That is a cheap way to keep swap file off of both the ssd and the hdd. I had the CF card lying around. You can do this with a fast SD card for not much money: the adapter is from Syba.

The only prob with that computer was na ssd power connection that kept coming loose - I was sure it was some tricky ssd quirk, or my CF card swapfile - nope, just a loose power cord.

I use junction points to move steam apps to/from a secondary drive as required.... might/might not be suitable for you?

Back