Saving without saving

Okay, I have a weird problem. My laptop, when it's on, will make a very small blip sound every so often. When I open up Word, I can see the little "save disc" symbol flash along with the sound. That would ordinarily mean I've saved the file. Not so. My Word documents have to be saved the regular way.

I'm suspicious that this is some sort of virus that saves my keystrokes and transmits them elsewhere. On my parent's computer now to report this problem. I had Norton 360, which picked up nothing. I have since deleted Norton because it takes up too much space, and I plan on downloading avast next time I get a chance.

But still, I'm not eager to get back on the net with the laptop until I figure out what this is. Please help. I'm not really much of a computer person, so please keep the explanations mildly simple.

Weird indeed.

First thing I'd try is open up Run and type in msconfig. Go to the startup tab in the window that opens up, and disable everything there.

Reboot your system as asked and see if it still persists. If it doesn't, turn on programs 2-3 at a time using msconfig until you find what program is causing it.

Does it only happen in Word or other Office applications? might help me narrow down some other results when searching Google for you.

Hope this isn't too detailed, I'm a tech afterall :( That's just what I'd do first. I'm not too sure it's virus related but you could try a Malwarebytes and/or SuperAntiSpyware scan.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Probably just autorecover information saved every ten minutes. You can turn it off from Word's Options - Save window.

You can simply go to start menu and type msconfig and choose the "startup" tab. Then see which of those entries are suspicious and disable them.
Or the most SIMPLE and 100% working solution. BACKUP-FORMAT-REINSTALL (my favorite :D)

He doesn't need to do anything drastic until he rules out the autosave like Mict said. As described in post 1 it sounds exactly like the autosave feature to me.

Well, the problem is the "blip" sound occurs whether I'm on Word or not. I get the idea that it's a saving program because of the little Word symbol that pops up when the blip sounds.

I thought of this a bit later, but could this be my laptop itself? When I shut it off, it hibernates and then whatever I was working on is still activated when I get back on it.

Back