Scanning the skies for debris hazards

abe10tiger

Science News
Today, orbiting satellites are threatened by over 700 000 pieces of debris. Avoiding them requires knowing where they are, and that means surveillance with radar and telescopes. The European Space Agency is designing a system to catalog debris and warn satellite operators when to take evasive action.

110606141726.jpg

The SSA programme is enabling Europe to detect hazards to critical space infrastructure. This artist's impression shows a possible design for the future radar system, which will scan low Earth orbits to detect hazardous debris objects and deliver data to a catalogue database. (Credit: ESA - P. Carrill)

Source:www.sciencedaily.com

War on Error perhaps ? Well TBH so called WOT is a hollow war with no clear objective ran by stupid people, ironically, at the expense of people.

War on Error perhaps ? Well TBH so called WOT is a hollow war with no clear objective ran by stupid people, ironically, at the expense of people.
My understanding of politics is that stupidity and self involvement are the 2 prime requisites for a successful election bid. If you're not of monumental conceit, arrogant and smarmy, then nobody will contribute to you, the voters will vote against you, and for the other guy they don't like either.

For the sake of comparison, SETI burns up a lot of money with no tangible results.

So, outer space looks now like either a McDonalds parking lot, or a street in the Ghetto. Well, there's a big f***ing surprise, man was there. This happens everywhere we go.

Although I suppose that space trash is a higher class of trash, bankrolled itself, by whichever countries taxpayers put it there, and that allows us to avoid dealing with it. It would be like everybody ignoring the elephant in low earth orbit.

But, you know what, if some peace of space s*** knocks out a communications satellite you depend on, you'll be crying bloody murder about the trash around it, and why was never dealt with.

It's like everybody thinks they can have their cake, and shoot it into space as well.... ;)

Oh, and being able to point a finger at, and complain about, the people who put it there, is just "icing on the cake"! I hope everybody will forgive my continued flogging of the cake metaphor. No? Meh!

Back