1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Scientists store data in molecules smaller than DNA

By Shawn Knight · 6 replies
Jul 8, 2019
Post New Reply
  1. It’s been years since scientists demonstrated the ability to store data on DNA but as it turns out, deoxyribonucleic acid isn’t the only molecule capable of replacing hard drives.

Jacob Rosenstein and his colleagues at Brown University have managed to store data on an array of molecules including those containing sugars and amino acids.

The presence or absence of specific metabolites in their mixtures represented the 0s and 1s needed to encode digital information. Using a mass spectrometer, they were then able to analyze the mixtures at an accuracy rate of around 99 percent.

Rosenstein and crew claim the approach could make data less susceptible to hackers. And in harsh environments that undergo extreme temperature, pressure or mechanical force, molecular memory could even be more stable than electronic memory.

Additional testing and optimizations are needed before the approach becomes commercially viable. Today, molecular memory is slow compared with what is possible via electronic computers although it does have lower latency than DNA storage. DNA, Rosenstein conceded, is still superior for encoding large data sets.

Masthead credit: 3d illustration of molecule model by Egorov Artem

Permalink to story.

2. ckm88

ckm88 TS Addict Posts: 176   +126

Dude. WTF. I'm like mind blown!!!

3. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 4,529   +3,100

Immediately reminds of Johnny Mnemonic :)

Pop Mihai Ioan, mcborge and Odium like this.
  4. toooooot

toooooot TS Evangelist Posts: 879   +426

This is amazing. In 20 years, I want entire Netflix backed up in my blood stream.

Pop Mihai Ioan likes this.
  5. PEnnn

PEnnn TS Addict Posts: 118   +104

" to store data on an array of molecules including those containing sugars and amino acids."

Is that a cookie in your pocket or a hard drive??

6. poohbear

poohbear TS Maniac Posts: 308   +213

Saw info about this some 10-15 years ago. I'm sure it's the future, but the question, as always, is when?

7. Markoni35

Markoni35 TS Addict Posts: 245   +113

Still far from storing the images into quantum states.

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...