Screen black after windows Vista logon, can get to task manager with ctrl-alt-del

Marie Olgin

My computer monitor suddenly went black with only my mouse cursor showing. The computer was rebooted. And after with the windows login, the monitor was black again. I did a ctrl-alt-delete and was able to access task manager. I shut down Explorer.exe. Then went to Task Run and started it again. Still just a black screen. I am running a Dell XPS 435mt with Vista Windows Home Premium. I don't think it's a video issue because I did some diagnostics tests, and everywhere else I can see the screen, except windows.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Also when attempting to boot in safe mode it has hung after "Loaded: \Windows\system32\drivers\crcdisk.sys" with only a "Please wait..." message.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like the boot hard drive has failed or has become corrupted... could also be a memory failure

Did you set up the 2 mirrored drive RAID 1 array? You should see the RAID status briefly while the computer boots...and you should have gotten a warning before the problem occurred. Yes technically you could swap the drives and try booting

Back