Screen display problems

So I have this problem that the tech guy at my school library did not even know what causes it. I think it is a mixture of both hardware and software problems. What happens is that sometimes when I open a new window, or more commonly a web page, about a third of the screen turns a random assortment of vertically striped colors - in the case with the attached picture it happened to turn white and black for the most part. Functionally speaking, this doesn't affect the operation of the computer as I can still click behind the messed up part and the computer responds, but I have to click only through guessing; that is, I cannot see anything behind the stripes. They disappear if the screen is shut off, that's it, which means that I have left the screen turn off option at one minute of rest. One thing that I have noticed is that this usually, if not always, happens when I go to a webpage or document that has a black/dark, horizontal line or bar or large text at the top; it always, always, always happen when I go to scholar.google.com. If you go to that website you'll notice the black/dark webpage menu thing that I'm talking about. So even though half the screen shuts off and doesn't display properly, which is a hardware problem, it seems it is triggered by some code, which would make it a software/firmware problem as well, no? I tried updating the driver for my AMD Radeon HD 6310 video card from the previous version 8.980.0.0000, which had been installed by the tech guy earlier today and didn't fix the problem with the newest beta version 8.981.2.0000 that was released literally just one week ago, this also did not work. Neither did the version that was installed with the computer when I bought it brand new as it was the one in use when the problems started occurring. My computer is an MSI X370-001US. I know it's along description, but any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG-20120706-00045.jpg
    IMG-20120706-00045.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 8
If the screen is going bad, I could definitely see it doing that. Tmagic650 is right, please use a vga/hdmi/dvi cable (whatever your laptop has) and test a external monitor.

+1 to what Tmagic posted.

If the problem persists on an external monitor its probably your gpu.

Back