Screen goes black

geordieke

hello.i got a intel core 2 quad Q8400 the cooler is a Zalman CNPS 9500. 2 hdd with each 500 GB. a asus EAH 5770 vidio card. an asus p5kpl-am-in-roem-si mother board . my PSU is a 650 watt coolermaster. and windows XP.the problem is . after the windows splash mi screen goes black.and the fan of mi GPU goes at the higest RPM. the only thing i can do is pull out mi power or just press 5-10 sec on the start up button. ithe thing i have tryed. i pull out mi bios battery for 1 hour then put it back in and reset mi bios to default. that didnt work. then i boot up in VGA modus that worked but when i put mi resolution higer then 800X600 then mi screen goes blank(black). so i thougt it was the drivers so i go back to VGA modus and removed all the gpu drivers and used driver sweeper and restart then i get the newest drivers but i get the same problem. so i removed the drivers again and then i try mi other vidio card the nvidia 8800 GT and installed the drivers and the problem was gone. i dont now what to do now.

Is all this hardware brand new?
Is it a new build, or a PC you've been using for a while now ?

It sounds to be that its either:

1. A dead GPU
2. Software related, as one is a Ati, the other Nvidia, and the two won't work with the others software...
3. You haven't connected the power connector on the GPU, so its not powering up correctly.

We need more information about whether this GPU is brand new, whether you've been using it before, and the circumstances in which it stopped working if its not new.

yes the card is new i mean i have used it for a week and then this problem comes up. the problem cames up when i installed the new drivers the ati 10.7 drivers. but i removed them in the correct way and tryed the 10.5 but that didnt work

Do the update to 10.9, as I've linked above mate, your using older drivers.

Unless your experiencing problems, you should always use the latest GPU drivers, downloaded from www.ati.com

ok i have removed all the gpu drivers with driver sweeper i going to update to 10.9 now i will post if its done

Are you certain your previous Nvidia drivers have been removed?

Are you using 32 bit, or 64bit Windows XP Professional? I assumed 32bit, but I could have incorrectly assumed...

Failing that, something isn't right. I dare say you have a conflict somewhere, and maybe a fresh install would be easier in this case to get it working again.

OK then, remove the 10.9 version, and then download and install 10.6 from here.

See if it will then work with that again...

i tryed that before with the same problem. the only thing i can tell is i think my gpu is not broke cuz it works som times i mean i need to restart my pc like 10 times

Does your motherboard have on-board graphics?

If it does I presume you have disabled it, or told it to use PCI-express for default graphics in BIOS yes?

How are you updating it, if its not working?
You previously said it worked with 10.6 though?

i dont now if mi mother board has onboard graphics. i update it with VGA modus thats working.

i see this on the box of mi motherboard : Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (Intel GMA 3100) integrated

i update it with VGA modus thats working.

Sorry, I don't understand your reference to VGA modus... Could you explain this please?

It's very important that we know the following:

1. Whether you have onboard graphics or not. You can either give us the full make and model of your motherboard, or you can look at the back of the case, and look to see if you have any video connectors that the look the same as your graphics card ones alongside the USB headers. If it has on-board graphics it will have a video connector there, most likely a blue VGA connector.

2. We need to know exactly how your installing the video drivers if your saying it won't load and run.

EDIT (reference your latest post above): You have onboard graphics, so you need to enter BIOS and select default graphics as PCI express if its not already selected.

Sorry, I don't understand your reference to VGA modus... Could you explain this please?

It's very important that we know the following:

1. Whether you have onboard graphics or not. You can either give us the full make and model of your motherboard, or you can look at the back of the case, and look to see if you have any video connectors that the look the same as your graphics card ones alongside the USB headers. If it has on-board graphics it will have a video connector there, most likely a blue VGA connector.

2. We need to know exactly how your installing the video drivers if your saying it won't load and run.
1. i got a VGA connector on the back of my mother board.

2. when i got no drivers from ati installed mi computer starts up with the 5770 but when i installed the 10.9 or 10.6 evry thing is still ok. when i restart the computer then the problem begins.

It sounds like an address conflict to me, which is beyond my knowledge I'm afraid.

I've also had a read of your user manual for your motherboard, and the settings to change your default graphics adapter are inside BIOS, in the Advanced > Chipset menus. I also do not understand the terminology used to define which setting should be selected for dedicated graphics. The manual states:

Initiate Graphic Adapter [PEG/PCI]
Allows you to decide which graphics controller to use as the primary boot device.
Configuration options: [IGD] [PCI/IGD] [PCI/PEG] [PEG/IGD] [PEG/PCI]

I'm used to seeing On-board, or PCI express or auto as options. This is not what I was expecting.

I can't comment on whether thats correct or not to be honest, as I'm not certain of the terminology used.

Do you still have the drivers for the on-board graphics installed out of curiousity? That could be conflicting with the dedicated graphics..

Failing that, I'll let others that know much more than me to further advise you.

but what i dont understand when there is no drivers i can set the resolution higer then 1024X768

yes i have installed on-board graphics drivers out of curiosity

Back