Screen randomly freezes to solid colour

nubki11a

Hey everyone, I've got a really strange problem that I can't seem to solve whatever I try :(

Since about a month and a half, I've been having a strange issue with my computer where (almost always when I'm gaming) my screen turns to a random solid colour, often with little lines. It looks like this:

vg4gad.jpg

It usually occurs when I'm playing [url="mmohuts.com/review/league-of-legends]League of Legends[/url], always during a time when not a lot is happening on my screen (for instance when I'm buying items). I think it only happened once when I was browsing.

Sometimes it happens with only a half an hour interval and sometimes once in three hours.

When it happens, the LCD on my keyboard also freezes, but any music I have on or other audio will keep playing (it wont react when I press the play button on my keyboard or headset). The strange thing is that when I'm on Skype and it happens, I can still hear my friends talk and they can still hear me. As far as I know, the only thing I can do is hold the power button and reboot.

• I have reinstalled League of Legends.
  • I have tried to connect an additional screen (which is connected to my motherboard, not my graphics card), but that just froze and I couldn't alt-tab or move my cursor to it. So it seems like it's not my main screen and less likely that it is my graphics card.
  • I have installed the most recent drivers.
  • I have Secure Erased my SSD with Windows and reinstalled Windows with new drivers etc.
  • I have updated my SSD's firmware.
  • I have checked my temperatures and they never get high when I play games, max. 60C.
  • I have looked at the Windows Logs, but could't find anything asides some kind of WIM error that seemed to happen a lot.
  • I have cleared dust out of my PC.
  • I have reset the BIOS.

I am planning on connecting my secondary screen as main screen and see what happens. I'm also checking whether I can still shutdown my PC via the Start menu. If it still happens I will try to put my old nVidia 9600GT in my PC.

Specs:

Motherboard: ASRock Extreme 3 Gen 3
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K @3.3 GHz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212
Graphics Card: Sapphire HD 6870, at stock speeds.
Power Supply: Corsair TX650 v2
RAM: G.Skill RipjawsX
Screen: NEC LCD22WV
SSD: Crucial M4 64GB
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F1 750GB
Keyboard: Logitech G15

The computer is about a year and a half old.

Does anyone have any idea what it could be? Any help greatly appreciated!

Swap out the Sapphire HD 6870 with the nVidia 9600GT... and make sure you load the correct video drivers for the video card in use

Back