Script-inf virus: How bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCTCJT

Hi everybody,

A couple of days ago my virus checker (AVST) detected a Script-inf virus and I moved it to the vault.

I know the virus was only one the computer for two days for a few hours of usage, as I performed a complete scan two days prior.

Anyhow, how bad off am I?
Anything running that should'nt be, or anything being high jacked?
Anything else I should do or run?

Attached are the files that the 8 step removal instructions require. (I think :D )

Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• mbam-log-2009-11-17 (19-51-51).txt
    835 bytes · Views: 10
  • SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log - 11-17-2009 - 20-21-14.log
    670 bytes · Views: 7
  • hijackthis.log
    10.5 KB · Views: 8
Thanks Tmagic650,

ESET reported NO threats... any further suggestions? Anything running in those other Logs that I need to be concerned about in the future?

Yes your Malwarebytes scan database is too old
It is presently up to 3206 (yours I think came out 3 weeks ago)
Please update it, and run a new scan

You also have Parental controls on, is this something your parents have put onto your computer?
Having this enabled, means some support options may not be fully available to you, unless you turn this feature off

Plus Vista is up to SP2 (yours is still SP1)
You should always do and have Windows Security Updates turned on

Thanks kimsland,

I just updated Malwarebytes yesterday to 3204, ran it again, and it found nothing. I just updated to 3206 and will re-run it again and will post the results.

I am the administrator and had the parental controls turned off? Where are they showing that they are on?

I have Windows updates turned on to "Notify me" and not download. I always go to "Ask Woody" and keep an eye on that stuff before I update. Currently, I have only 2 Vista updates that have not been applied. I will probably just go ahead and apply them.

Thanks again.

Run Windows Update manually by opening your browser and select Tools, Windows Update. If no updates are showing select "check for updates"... Keep doing this until no more updates are found. No Service Pack 2 means that you are missing many Vista updates that you should install

Run Windows Update manually by opening your browser and select Tools, Windows Update. If no updates are showing select "check for updates"... Keep doing this until no more updates are found. No Service Pack 2 means that you are missing many Vista updates that you should install

Ran Windows Update manually, and did not get a download for SP2. So, I downloaded and installed it manually, and then installed some updates for SP2.

I'm going to re-run all the utilities again and make sure everything is still OK.

Regarding the "A virus was found alert" from Avast:

Comments from the Avast Forum:
Alert was The Malware name identified is HTML:script-inf.

Suggested troubleshooting:
What is the URL that the detection is on ?
Check the avast! Log Viewer (right click the avast 'a' icon), Warning section, this contains information on all avast detections. C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashLogV.exe

One user found the site had a webstat.net reference, which are blocked on some systems. This comment was left:
"The scripts of webstat.net are very suspicious, they have no contacts, no about us, no ToS and the email used in domain registration is invalid."

Quite a few Vista/Avast users had this problem.
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=41771.0

Script.Inf is a piece of malware that infects Windows INF files. Windows will run the script commands in an INF file. Like other viruses, Script.Inf makes use of a few other steps when infecting, creating a TXT file and then appending it to the AUTOEXEC.BAT file so it runs at system startup.

Most recently we understand there are some web advertisements where a similar infection has been infiltrated (you are probably being notified through your antivirus app), though these shouldn't pose a major threat since they can't be executed if you are running an up to date version of your browser.

Make sure you are running the latest version of Firefox 4, Internet Explorer 9 or Google Chrome:
https://www.techspot.com/downloadid19by4.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back