Scroll to continue mobile ads

yRaz

Do you guys have any idea how many times I've accidentally tapped a "scroll to continue" ad and it takes me to another page? Can you please use less invasive forms of advertising? I can just as easily take techspot off my ad block white list as I put it on

I moved this so we can discuss and troubleshoot it. Thanks for whitelisting us and for taking the time to complain.

The scrolling ads should not get clicked if you're simply scrolling down. I will report this unwanted behavior.

Can you tell me about the mobile device you are using? Screen size, os version and browser should be the most important factors to know. Also does it happen with more than one ad or with a particular advertiser?

I've had my complaints when these ads don't scroll smoothly but look choppy, when they are smooth they actually look cool and are good alternatives to other types of mobile ads that are uglier and more intrusive and thus we don't run them.

I've never had them clicking /opening the way you describe but I'll report it with your information to the ad guys.

I have a galaxy tab A (10") and a ZTE Zmax pro for my phone. If I don't swipe down enough and I have to tap the screen again to scroll sometimes, on both devices, it will register as a click instead of a tap to scroll taking me away from the page. I'd much rather see a smaller ad that is stuck in place in the middle of an article rather than the "scroll to continue" ads.

I'm investigating this further before reporting it and potentially removing the ads temporarily if it comes down to it.

Mobile monetization is harder than desktop, and this particular format of ad, while a bit more instrusive than your standard rectangular banner, works nicely and looks good when there are no bugs. I must add, we don't use any other of the intrusive mobile formats (stickies, ugh...). *nerd*

I'm investigating this further before reporting it and potentially removing the ads temporarily if it comes down to it.

Mobile monetization is harder than desktop, and this particular format of ad, while a bit more instrusive than your standard rectangular banner, works nicely and looks good when there are no bugs. I must add, we don't use any other of the intrusive mobile formats (stickies, ugh...). *nerd*
Frankly, after experiencing the mobile ads, I'd rather have stickies as long as it's easy to tell that they are an ad. It was when the stickies were disguised as an article on the front page that I got angry. It felt like a bait and switch. I'd click on something that I thought was interesting only to find out, "oh, it's just an ad."

If there is anything that I want to stress in this thread is that ad blockers exist because websites get too aggressive with advertising. Subtle ads don't bother me but the mobile ads I was discussing distract me from what I was originally reading and I'm sitting there angry looking at this ad. This made me even angrier when I would accidentally click on the ad and it would take me away from the page.

Well these ads really ruin the "flow" of an article when reading from mobile so I will be removing techspot from my whitelist on mobile devices.

A quick update, we've been notified the problematic interscroller ads have now been removed from TS' rotation.
You did not because after whitelisting the ads are now just between the article and comments. Although more acceptable than being in the middle of the article. Still outlandishly annoying. I'll keep it whitelisted for now but I'll be very vocal of it ever becomes too much

I was thinking of starting a new thread, but I think it's related:
sJp5rRV.png

Don't you think this is way too much? That's my 1080px view.

You did not because after whitelisting the ads are now just between the article and comments. Although more acceptable than being in the middle of the article. Still outlandishly annoying. I'll keep it whitelisted for now but I'll be very vocal of it ever becomes too much

To be clear, we are not removing the scrolling ads, I approve that format. The problem arises when a particular campaign is not running properly, we just removed two of those this week thanks to your report and I have commanded our ad ops team to make sure those don't slip in again.

I was thinking of starting a new thread, but I think it's related:
Don't you think this is way too much? That's my 1080px view.

Yes, but to be accurate, that's way below the fold. That is, you have reached the end of the story and we haven't disrupted your experience to read the information you came in for. (edit: one of those ads will no longer show if you're logged in).

We only make money if we show ads, and we try hard to balance things so they don't get overly annoying and we certainly don't use any of the obnoxious formats.

As a side note...
About a year ago we readied a basic platform to remove ads across the site for a small fee. We have refrained from promoting this option, instead of dedicating time to those kind of endeavors we have dedicated time to create more and better content. It has paid off. But maybe it is time more people learn that if you don't want ads (and ad blocking would hurt us), there is another option:

Our take on ad blocking:
https://www.techspot.com/whitelist/

TechSpot Platinum beta:

Thoughts?

Last edited:
To be clear, we are not removing the scrolling ads, I approve that format. The problem arises when a particular campaign is not running properly, we just removed two of those this week thanks to your report and I have commanded our ad ops team to make sure those don't slip in again.

Yes, but to be accurate, that's way below the fold. That is, you have reached the end of the story and we haven't disrupted your experience to read the information you came in for. (edit: one of those ads will no longer show if you're logged in).

We only make money if we show ads, and we try hard to balance things so they don't get overly annoying and we certainly don't use any of the obnoxious formats.

As a side note...
About a year ago we readied a basic platform to remove ads across the site for a small fee. We have refrained from promoting this option, instead of dedicating time to those kind of endeavors we have dedicated time to create more and better content. It has paid off. But maybe it is time more people learn that if you don't want ads (and ad blocking would hurt us), there is another option:

Our take on ad blocking:
https://www.techspot.com/whitelist/

TechSpot Platinum beta:
https://www.techspot.com/community/pember/membership-new

Thoughts?
Please stop putting those scroll ads for mobile in the middle of your articles. Those absolutely ruin your content. I do most of my reading on my phone, put them at the end of the article. When those pop up in the middle of an article I just hit the back button and stop reading.

Please, cut this stuff out. I love techspot, I'm being vocal because I love this website and I'm legitimately concerned that this could hurt site traffic on top of making it frustrating for me to read

Back