Seagate announces new line of hard drives for NAS installations

Shawn Knight

Staff member

seagate nas hard drive

Seagate on Tuesday announced a new line of hard drives designed specifically for network attached storage (NAS) usage in mind. The specialized drives, meant to be run 24 hours a day in small to midsized business environments, will be available in capacities of 2TB, 3TB and 4TB over a standard SATA 3 connection.

All models are loaded with 64MB of cache and are said to be near silent with acoustic ratings as low as 19 decibels. For comparison, the average whisper can be as loud as 30 decibels. Furthermore, NAS drives are said to dampen vibration and manage power consumption for reduced electricity use.

The drive maker has a number of partners on board singing the drives’ praises including ASUSTOR, D-Link, LenovoEMC, Synology and Thecus Technology, just to name a few.

Seagate VP of marketing Scott Horn noted that roughly half of all NAS arrays are sold without drives which can put an extra burden on customers as they must also identify which drives would work best in an array. Drives that are identified as NAS-ready take that guesswork out of the equation which ultimately makes things easier for the end user.

Pricing wasn’t mentioned in the press release although we are told that drives will be priced competitively and sold through Seagate distributors as well as online at places like Amazon, Newegg and TigerDirect. As of writing, however, I was unable to locate the drives at any of the aforementioned online retailers.

Permalink to story.

Seagate should work on finally making quality products in the consumer Hard drive division first before they stray into NAS territory.

Seagate should work on finally making quality products in the consumer Hard drive division first before they stray into NAS territory.
If you are implying that Seagate make mediocre products in the consumer division then you couldn't be more wrong. I owned eleven of these (one of which is nine years old) and not a single one of them has failed me yet.

If you are implying that Seagate make mediocre products in the consumer division then you couldn't be more wrong. I owned eleven of these (one of which is nine years old) and not a single one of them has failed me yet.
I agree!!

Iv thrown more Seagate hard drives in the trash than I could ever count.

My Seagate HD103SJ is crap compared to my proper Samsung HD103SJ.

Samsung drives are god-tier. Shame they sold out to Shitgate.

PC nerd said:
My Seagate HD103SJ is crap compared to my proper Samsung HD103SJ.

Samsung drives are god-tier. Shame they sold out to Shitgate.
I have the exact same model (Seagate) and it is not crap compared to my Samsung HD103SJ (yes, I owned that one too). Beside your so-called "Shitgate", can you name one or several hard drive manufacturers that you don't consider as crap?

Iv had good luck with WD. I only buy Black/Red/Blues though. And I agree that Samsung made a good hard drive before "shitgate" bought them. Same goes for Maxtor before the same happened. I dont buy Hitachi drives, but not for any specific reason. When I say a hard drive is good, I mean it gives 5 or more years of no issues. Any time I open up a computer and see a "shitgate" hard drive. I work on getting it replaced. And never give it to anyone with important files. I figure its better to replace ASAP rather than when its needed and eventually starts clicking and craps out like all the others iv used. Ill take a reasonable guess and say that iv thrown away 50+ Seagate drives, 2 samsungs(although I don't see them much), and maybe 8-9 WDs(most common drive) in the last 5 years.

Any time I open up a computer and see a "shitgate" hard drive. I work on getting it replaced. .... I figure its better to replace ASAP rather than when its needed
In other words you have thrown a countless number of good HDD away, simply because of the brand name Seagate. Talk about discrediting yourself, there is no need in saying anything further.

I Threw them away BECAUSE they were defective/dead/bad. The word "replaced" was the key here. I keep the older Seagates for ''replacements'' in outdated computers which do not get much use.

Maybe actually reading the comment rather then assuming, would help you in a situation such as this. You know, a situation where you look like a *******.

there is no need in saying anything further.
Checkmate

I Threw them away BECAUSE they were defective/dead/bad.
And now you are craw fishing and trying to change what you initially said.

If you wish to continue your story telling, please feel free to create a moniker. Anything you have to say as a guest, will be received with little to no weight as truth.

Assumptions do not make up for ignorance or stupidity. Adding details to a story to correct your assumptions is not the same changing it. Making an account on this website is a side point to make you feel as if you have any kind of upper hand.

You lose, end of story.

I figure its better to replace ASAP rather than when its needed
I Threw them away BECAUSE they were defective/dead/bad.
I'm sorry but you are the one making contradictory statements. The idea of trying to convince me otherwise is a loss of time on your part.

I'm not trying to win, I know my Seagate drives are good and don't deserve the crap talk you are dishing out.

Back