Seagate launches its own 10 TB helium-filled hard drives

Scorpus

Staff member

Seagate has announced its first helium-filled large-capacity hard disk drives, which are primarily designed for datacenters and other enterprise applications. The largest drive in Seagate's helium line-up has a capacity of 10 TB, matching HGST's competing line that was announced last month.

Like HGST's drive, Seagate's 10 TB helium-filled drive uses seven platters, each with a 1.43 TB capacity, as well as 14 heads. There was no need to use alternative platter technologies like shingled magnetic recording (SMR) to achieve such a large capacity, with Seagate also opting to use traditional perpendicular magnetic recording (PMR) for this drive.

The 10 TB Seagate Enterprise Capacity drive comes in a 3.5-inch form factor, and supports either SATA 6 Gbps or SAS 12 Gbps interfaces. Seagate claims this drive has a 2.5 million hour MTBF, as well as the lowest power-per-terabyte ratio at this capacity, although the company didn't release a complete spec sheet.

Alongside the announcement of a 10 TB helium-filled drive, which is shipping to select customers now without an announced price, Seagate has added an 8 TB hard drive to its NAS line-up. Seagate says this new drive is the "largest NAS-optimized drive on the market", while also claiming the HDD's firmware is optimized with "extended error recovery controls."

Like the 10 TB enterprise drive, the new 8 TB NAS drive is shipping to select customers now, and is expected to hit the wider market by the end of Q1 2016.

Permalink to story.

It was originally said many years ago, that the most valuable commodity is information. They had no idea that today we would be able to put together 10TB of information worth less than the storage device.

I could easily fill this baby up with that much of Hollywood crap, and then throw it away with my eyes closed.

Nothing exceeds like excess.

Last edited:
Throw it away???? It still has plenty of uses. A door stop, a paper weight, or more importantly - something to chuck at that darn cat or dog that spends their nights howling at the moon!!!!!

I'm a Seagate fan myself, but I wouldn't touch a helium filled drive. No matter how long you have a sealed container, sooner or later it will leak. A drive that requires helium to operate will no longer be a drive, once the helium is gone.

I think I'd probably upgrade in capacity before the Helium depletion became a problem ( especially if you're dealing with a 5 year warranty). The bigger issue for me would the the SMR tech. Shingled drives aren't great for data transfer rates (OK if you're archiving for very occasional accessing), and I'd like to see how SMR fares as a long term storage solution.

I'm a Seagate fan myself, but I wouldn't touch a helium filled drive. No matter how long you have a sealed container, sooner or later it will leak. A drive that requires helium to operate will no longer be a drive, once the helium is gone.
helium refill, anyone?

while my comment is a joke, it is anchored on something not directly related. when the price of ink cartridges were so high in the philippines, some manufacturers (from china?) decided to create/sell continuous ink tank solutions for hp deskjet printers and other brands. maybe some (Chinese) geek can create a way to refill a depleted helium disk drive.

Wasn't Helium becoming a very scarce/hot commodity not too long ago? Something about America holding most of the stock pile and us wasting it over the years when we should have been conserving it?

Ooo!!! Bouncy! You don't have to install in a drive bay, just connect the cables and let it hover and float about. What a party trick. You don't have to worried about being a butterfingers either, if you drop it, no problem. :D

It was originally said many years ago, that the most valuable commodity is information. They had no idea that today we would be able to put together 10TB of information worth less than the storage device.

I could easily fill this baby up with that much of Hollywood crap, and then throw it away with my eyes closed.

Nothing exceeds like excess.

*Was* I think being the keyword. Nowadays there is information everywhere and it's usefulness is almost always subject.

Wasn't Helium becoming a very scarce/hot commodity not too long ago? Something about America holding most of the stock pile and us wasting it over the years when we should have been conserving it?

Eh, we could always use hydrogen. Heck it's even lighter! :p

Would be quite the spectacle watching hydrogen leaking into a hot CPU.... "Oh the humanity!!"

Eh, we could always use hydrogen. Heck it's even lighter! :p
This boyz & girlz:
hindenburg-explodes.jpg

is why you can' substitute hydrogen for helium. It's a big fiery no,no.....:eek:...

Back