Inactive Searchprotocol/filter.exe svchost.exe iexplore.exe virus

Hi,

i'm a newby- please be gentle :) I have windows 7 newly installed on a vio laptop..Which has basically been rendered useless by some sort of virus. I have disabled windows media player. I go into resource monitor and notice searchprotocolhost.exe, searchfilterhost.exe svchost.exe iexplore.exe are a maxing out my CPU..
It seems this is a common sort of virus, but everytime i look at a thread on a blog it seems like they are giving a different solution to the problem.
I'm not that tech savy and this is doing my head in. I also have a macbook pro laptop, and i can safely say this is the last windows product i will ever purchase..
Any help would be appreciated..

Thanks,
Paul.

Hello Paul, welcome to TechSpot!

Please remind me if I become less than gentle! I do tend to get a bit testy when directions aren't followed, so to help you pass the 'newby' status, observe: It is very important that you read and follow all directions. If you have a problem, let me know- don't try to create your own workaround.

There are three sections of the The Windows Search utility:
Search Indexer> puts files in order for faster search
Search Protocol Host> coordinates protocol handler programs.
Search Filter Host> allows you to search your computer for specific files. (uses the Indexer)

While these may be useful in doing a search in the system, they come at a price and the price is they are high resource users. You can turn Windows Search off. Please see the information How To Disable Search in Windows 7

I've never thought that the high resource use was worth any time save in searching so I've always stopped this process:
=========================================
We will not do anything about either of these processes yet: svchost.exe and iexplore.exe. They are both legitimate processes and with IE8, it is common to have more than 1 entry of iexplor.exe running. But malware can hide in almost any name, so we will be looking for that in the logs.
=====================================
If you would like us to check the system for malware, please follow these steps: Preliminary Virus and Malware Removal.

NOTE: If you already have any of the scanning programs on the computer, please remove them and download the versions in these links.

When you have finished, leave the logs for review in your next reply .
NOTE: Logs must be pasted in the replies. Attached logs will not be reviewed.
================================
My Guidelines: please read and follow:
  • Be patient. Malware cleaning takes time. I am also working with other members while I am helping you.
  • Read my instructions carefully. If you don't understand or have a problem, ask me. Follow the order of the tasks I give you. Order is crucial in cleaning process.
  • If you have questions, or if a program doesn't work, stop and tell me about it. Don't try to get around it yourself.
  • File sharing programs should be uninstalled or disabled during the cleaning process..
  • Observe these:
    [o] Don't follow directions given to someone else
    [o] Don't use any other cleaning programs or scans while I'm helping you.
    [o] Don't use a Registry cleaner or make any changes in the Registry.
    [o] Don't download and install new programs- except those I give you.
Threads are closed after 5 days if there is no reply.

It can be scary the first time you have to do it. You should read the direction for each scan carefully. Toward the end, you'll see the log instruction.

Here is a basic lesson in copy and paste: http://www.webmasternow.com/copyandpaste.html
You will just be applying this to the log. If you already know how to copy and paste, then follow the log directions for each scan.

For instance Directions at end of Malwarebytes is:

[*] When completed, a log will open in Notepad. please paste this log with your reply
Note: on opening Notepad, click on Format> make sure Word Wrap is unchecked.
[o] If you accidentally close it, the log file is saved here and will be named like this:
[o] C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\mbam-log-date (time).txt[/list]

You will click on Edit in Notepad> Select all> then Edit again> Copy.
Come back to the thread, place the cursor where you want the log to go> right mouse click> Paste.

Tip> Click on All Programs> Accessories> Right click on Notepad> The click on 'pin to Start Menu. This is a handy shortcut. Try this for Malwarebytes and let me know how it goes, The one thing you do need to remember is to click on Format when you open Notepad and uncheck Word Wrap.

Back