Second Life sequel 'Sansar' now has a public beta

Polycount

Staff

Fans of Second Life will be pleased to hear that developer Linden Lab has finally released a public beta of the game's VR sequel, Sansar. This "creator beta" is a version of the game that will allow users to create virtual worlds for others to experience. It arrives in the wake of a lengthy closed alpha period (referred to as a "creator preview") in which a small number of users were selected to test out the VR platform's world creation tools. During that time, over 1700 virtual experiences were created - a number that will likely increase exponentially with the release of the this public beta.

Because the creator beta is primarily designed to give users the chance to play around with the creator tools, it's limited in terms of functionality or gameplay features. In addition to the aforementioned world building functionality, users are currently able to create their own custom avatars and deck them out in outfits purchased from (and created by) other players -- using an in-game currency called "Sansar dollars" -- but they can't do much else aside from pick up objects and chat with other users. Things like flying, sailing and driving vehicles are still quite a ways off.

If you're still interested in giving it a whirl, you can download the beta for free (even if you don't have a VR headset) and check it out for yourself.

As far as pricing goes, Sansar will be free to play, just like Second Life. However, the game will also offer various "premium" service tiers that give subscribers select benefits - mostly related to the amount of virtual lots (also called "Experiences") they can own and build upon. Free accounts will only have access to three of these lots, whereas the paid tiers of service allow creators to create up to 20 virtual worlds (in addition to faster customer support).

The "Creator" tier gives users access to 5 lots and a 48-hour customer service response window. The "Super Creator" tier gives users access to 10 lots, a 24-hour customer support response time and live web chat support. The final tier will run you a whopping $99.99/month, and will give you access to 20 lots, 1-business-day customer support response time (as well as phone and live chat support).

Four years in the making, Sansar is clearly seeking to capitalize on what made Second Life popular - while also attempting to create a more immersive, ambitious experience in the process. That said, with VR headset sales slowing down, only time will tell if lightning will strike twice for Linden Lab.

Permalink to story.

As I understand it, there's no requirement to play this in VR (even after release), so the size of the VR headset market shouldn't matter much. Sure, it's geared as a VR experience, and I'm sure VR users are an important part of the audience, but I'm also sure a lot of people who enjoyed Second Life would play this without a VR headset.

As I understand it, there's no requirement to play this in VR (even after release), so the size of the VR headset market shouldn't matter much. Sure, it's geared as a VR experience, and I'm sure VR users are an important part of the audience, but I'm also sure a lot of people who enjoyed Second Life would play this without a VR headset.

Second Life is populated by head cases ... who probably need head gear.

Have you ever tried Second Life?
It's for shut-ins.

Second Life is populated by head cases ... who probably need head gear.

Have you ever tried Second Life?
It's for shut-ins.
Second Life is also for professional people who work hard and enjoy the creative experiences there. Others are disabled and unable to leave their homes. Second life allows them to experience walking and endless other things most of us take for granted. Personally, the important aspect of Second Life for me are the people I've met who are a hell of a lot kinder and way less judgmental as what I have in my real life. Just because you don't like Second Life, don't pass judgement on the rest of us.

1) Second Life is not a game.
2) Sansar is not a game.
3) Both Second Life and Sansar are places (aka virtual worlds). You don't "play" them, you play "in" them.
4) There needs to be a photo attribution under each image in this article.
5) You may use my Sansar photos for future TechSpot articles about Sansar or virtual worlds in general, if you like. My Sansar images are Creative Commons Attribution/Non-Commercial/No-Derivs permissions https://flic.kr/s/aHsm25gT6q

Back