Sega hints at a Dreamcast Mini console

midian182

Staff member
Something to look forward to: It might not have sold over 155 million units like the PlayStation 2, or be as famous as the Nintendo Entertainment System, but former owners will tell you that Sega's Dreamcast was one of the greatest consoles ever made. If you fondly remember the machine, which launched at the end of 1999, here's some exciting news: Sega is considering a Dreamcast Mini device.

Since the NES Classic's original launch back in 2016, we've seen several companies jump on the retro 'mini console' bandwagon. Not all of them have been as successful as Nintendo's efforts—the PlayStation Classic flopped so hard that its $100 price fell to $25 just seven months after release—but Sega's Genesis Mini from last year was hailed as one of the best examples of how to do a miniature console right. The company has also created a Game Gear Micro that's only available in Japan right now.

Speaking in an interview with Japanese magazine Famitsu (translated by Siliconera), Sega's mini chief Yosuke Okunari was asked about the next device in the firm's retro line.

"I think for the next one, we may go with a concept close to the Mega Drive Mini. If I have to say some names, it could be an SG-1000 Mini or a Dreamcast Mini..."

The SG-1000 was a fugly console—Sega's first for the home market—that got a limited release when it arrived on July 15, 1983, the same day Nintendo launched the Famicom in Japan. It seems unlikely that Sega would release a miniature version of a machine few people know about, so a Dreamcast Mini looks to be the obvious choice.

I remember spending hours on Crazy Taxi, Shenmue, Jet Set Radio, and the completely bewildering Seaman twenty years ago. And despite not even being a fan of the sport, I'd buy a Dreamcast Mini just to play Virtua Tennis and its sequel again.

Sadly, it looks as if we'll be waiting some time before getting our hands on a reimagined Dreamcast.

"The Game Gear Micro is only sold domestically in Japan. When we do the next one, I feel like the project scope will be much bigger as we gaze upon the world. So we won't be able to release it at this time the next year or two years after the Mega Drive Mini. We can't make it that quickly [laughs]," said Okunari.

Permalink to story.

I still have my Dreamcast and it works great. First modern machine, blueprint for all others today. Off the shelf components, keep it simple as possible. The hardware was well designed particularly around the PowerVR2 graphics chip. They learnt lessons from the disastrous mess Saturn was for developers.

I loved the concept of the VMUs, at the time it was genius as long as it was plugged into the controller. The terrible lithium coin batteries proved impractical as they would die extremely quickly when you went mobile. It worried Sony enough to come up with the PocketStation anyway.

The Dreamcast died because of PS2's hype and consumers waiting, not because of PS2's actual game library. PS2 had a terrible lineup for the first year. Dreamcast was already dead. Sega still launched a little too arcade focused.

It had some amazing games but at this stage people had signalled they wanted more depth from their titles, they were no longer satisfied with two minute blasts like down the arcade. They wanted long form adventures or even racers with RPG elements. Top games like that arrived, Sega GT and Shenmue for example, but it all seemed a bit too late.

So much can be said about Dreamcast's online service. This was really under promoted and the machine's secret weapon. Dreamcast was better to take online than PS2 was three or four years later. A lot is owed to Dreamcast as pioneering that kind of online service with included hardware. Microsoft saw that, ran with it in Xbox and the rest is history.

In many ways Xbox was the Dreamcast's spiritual successor. In the end Sega was finished in hardware but their final machine was a raft of ideas mined like gold for the future of the industry.

I never had the original. Never wanted the original.

I’ll buy this just to add it to the rest I collected.

I’m sure SEGA will do a good job loading it with games.

I really hope for a Jaguar mini.

They actually age quite well... if you really want one, they go on ebay from $50-100.... (more if you want game bundles and extra controllers)....

I assume the mini will cost about $100, so why not just get an original?

Lol..not even Sega themselves want to tackle the red headed step child of their console past...The Sega Saturn in mini form.

Every now and then their engineering dept probably take a look at the idea then quickly remember the incredibly messy mix of silicon that powered it and go..'nope, not going there.'

Soul Caliber defined "actions" in 3D action games later on, for 20 years you can still see moves exactly the same in games today.

Funny thing is I never had any of these as a kid (had an original PS in college tho). Yet I have 3 of them now and would probably get this as well. Still have the PS though and it's hooked to a TV. Damn 320x240 looks like c*** on a 4K TV.

Been playing the games in emulators. And they run very well. Not going to be a victim of current trend of "retro-revival" milking schemes.

Coming back to the console, it's one of the best consoles at it's time. Very short lived but with great and impactful line-up of games.

Even Xbox controllers seem to have been inspired by these Dreamcast ones.

The original units are still commonly available in trading sites.

Been playing the games in emulators. And they run very well. Not going to be a victim of current trend of "retro-revival" milking schemes.

Coming back to the console, it's one of the best consoles at it's time. Very short lived but with great and impactful line-up of games.

Even Xbox controllers seem to have been inspired by these Dreamcast ones.

The original units are still commonly available in trading sites.
Yeah, I use Redream which works beautifully to emulate Dreamcast games, even on quite modest hardware. Controller support is also great.

I still have my Dreamcast and it works great. First modern machine, blueprint for all others today. Off the shelf components, keep it simple as possible. The hardware was well designed particularly around the PowerVR2 graphics chip. They learnt lessons from the disastrous mess Saturn was for developers.

I loved the concept of the VMUs, at the time it was genius as long as it was plugged into the controller. The terrible lithium coin batteries proved impractical as they would die extremely quickly when you went mobile. It worried Sony enough to come up with the PocketStation anyway.

The Dreamcast died because of PS2's hype and consumers waiting, not because of PS2's actual game library. PS2 had a terrible lineup for the first year. Dreamcast was already dead. Sega still launched a little too arcade focused.

It had some amazing games but at this stage people had signalled they wanted more depth from their titles, they were no longer satisfied with two minute blasts like down the arcade. They wanted long form adventures or even racers with RPG elements. Top games like that arrived, Sega GT and Shenmue for example, but it all seemed a bit too late.

So much can be said about Dreamcast's online service. This was really under promoted and the machine's secret weapon. Dreamcast was better to take online than PS2 was three or four years later. A lot is owed to Dreamcast as pioneering that kind of online service with included hardware. Microsoft saw that, ran with it in Xbox and the rest is history.

In many ways Xbox was the Dreamcast's spiritual successor. In the end Sega was finished in hardware but their final machine was a raft of ideas mined like gold for the future of the industry.
I still have mine as well. I should hook it up. I loved that system and Seaman was a concept ahead of it's time. I would love to see an updated version of that, bit sadly since Leonard Nemoy died and wouldn't be able to do the voice acting. I can't think of anyone worthy of replacing him except perhaps George Takei to do it in his honor.

Back